Hello and New game suggestion

Discuss anything that is not related to Drakan and Blade of Darkness here.

Moderators: Mechanist, Arokhs Twin, yangez93

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Hello and New game suggestion

Postby Arokhs Twin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:10 pm

A game like Drakan would be awesome in VR. There are not many good VR games available yet - the only one I can think of that will support VR and will be pretty much fantastic in VR will be Star Citizen.

As for people not liking dragons, well if you are a gamer there must be something wrong if you don't like dragons in games. :D
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:24 am

I don't mean ppl don't like having dragons in games. I just think they may not care for it. That they would rather battle than befriend them.

Here's just something from ark (w/ Annunaki mod). Yet another game produced on the unreal engine. It's nice because you can tame dragons and generally not be dragon aggressive, but others can be. There are dinos and stuff too which are awesome. Also can make for a rough time on PVP servers because there are a lot of jerks. Even on PVE ppl get away with stuff.

...and scorched earth expansion (if that's what you want to call it lol) has wyverns

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:09 am

Yeah see what you mean now. Dragons in most fantasy games are ones you have to kill rather than befriend. We need more games like Drakan. Other games have tried it - you can befriend a dragon in Skyrim although it is nothing like Drakan. All you can do is summon him to help then he flies off. Riding is possible with DLC but it is very basic and you can only give around 6 commands.

Those dragon mods for Ark look great btw. It's not something I have played though but one of my relatives plays it quite regular.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:17 pm

And that's the reason I never played Skyrim.

One other game I thought of is Dragon's Prophet where you can tame and ride dragons, but also kill them. It isn't bloody or anything which is better IMO. If you use them to help you in a fight they also disappear after a short while similar to what you were saying. It's a 3 year old MMORPG, but it was nice at the time. I don't know how they did success wise, but they shut down the US server within the last few years and now only the EU server is left.

The Scorched Earth is a nice official expansion to Ark. It takes a powerful comp to run well though with decent settings. It seems pretty popular too. The game doesn't revolve around dragons (well they are actually called Wyverns and they are, but I'm just saying dragon), but it's a nice bonus! I haven't played a lot of it myself because it requires a lot of time investment and I have enough invested already! You actually have to find/capture dragon eggs from dragon nests, hatch them, and use the female dragons milk which can be a tough task since you have to knock out (not kill) the dragon(s) to raise it to adulthood. Since it takes so much effort, ppl don't just use and abuse them. Although, like I mentioned before, there are plenty of jerks and they will try to ruin your structures and kill your dinos (dragons included) with their higher power Dragons.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:07 am

I'll see what I can do. I'll dabble with it from time. Right now I'm working on other projects that I really need to get done. I may post screenshots if I start heading in the right direction and really start making some headway.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:30 am

So I bought an Oculus Rift. It is a nice emersion in a 3d environment. The resolution is less than what I thought it would be mainly because of the view size. I found out there are apparently ones that have a higher resolution but even the best graphics cards have a hard time keeping up with it since you are essentially rendering every frame twice (one for each eye).

Ark has support for it, but it's not very good. It is enough to get a taste of what a game like Drakan may be like. I also discovered that there are not as many games out as I thought there would be especially good ones. That means the market is open for a good Drakan like VR game. It would be quite awesome IMHO! I'm not getting any motion sickness, but I can imagine some ppl might.

I'm not super happy with it, but it opens doors. I may start toying around with UE4 in VR as I learn.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 pm

I bought one of those cheapo VR headsets what you put your phone into to get a feel for what VR is like. It works but I find the FOV is too low and the image looks like it's floating in space rather than filling my entire field of vision. The rift has quite a high FOV compared to the headset I bought and you can see the lenses overlapping but I guess this is because it's a crap headset.

I was looking at possibly getting VR in the future and yes a game like Drakan would be fantastic in VR as with other flight based games. Star citizen comes to mind as the ultimate VR game or maybe even Elite.

The rift and HTC vive have different FOV ratings - do rendered images fill the entire field of vision or does it look like an imax screen hanging in mid air?

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:30 pm

I thought the same thing when I put on the Oculus. I think it's a resolution thing mainly. They would have to choose between a higher res which would require more processing power or lower PPI. Regardless as tech grows they will get better. Personally I think they could refocus the pixels so there are more in the middle where your site is better rather than evenly. Either way it will get better as long as sales stay up. They had 3d technology back in 2000 and it disappeared for awhile due to the lack of profit.

I played the new EVE: Valkyrie and it is nice. Aside from dogfighting around in 3d space, the cockpit has a lot of 3d details built into it that add to the eye candy.

I read that they have a different FOV just because the resolution is a little wider on the Oculus. For games it doesn't really look like an IMAX since it tracks your head movement and yes it takes up the whole screen. It also is more like you are looking through binoculars. Going back to Ark, you can stand next to a T-rex or Bronto and look up to get a better depiction of the scale of these dinos.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Ah right I was hoping the rift didn't have the looking through binoculars effect but nevertheless it should be way better than the £15 headset I bought. The PPI does not bother me much; my phone has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels and you can see the pixels slightly. A 4K panel would solve this but as you say it would need much more processing power e.g a stupidly expensive graphics card.

Regarding the FOV I read it should be around 110 degrees to fill your field of vision my headset has a FOV of 60 degrees.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:52 am

So I've been playing with zmodeler and it looks promising. It's a very different program with a steep learning curve.
Attachments
Zdragon-2.JPG
Zdragon-2.JPG (59.07 KiB) Viewed 3928 times

pmache
Whelp

Postby pmache » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 am

So I've been playing with zmodeler and it looks promising. It's a very different program with a steep learning curve.
So you're saying that you are modeller. Doing it professionally? Or you are just indie? Your screenshot is good.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:29 pm

It looks like Saphira from Eragon

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:08 pm

So you're saying that you are modeller. Doing it professionally? Or you are just indie? Your screenshot is good.
I've played around with CAD and other 3d programs for many years. It's more freelance and for fun than anything. I haven't done anything in the professional realm as of yet.

Thanks! This program is amazing! Definitely breaks the boundaries of any other organic modeler I've ever used or even heard of for that matter.

I've watched about 4-5 hrs of videos on zBrush and it looks like there is no other equal and all the top professionals use it.
Last edited by Metaldrgn on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 pm

It looks like Saphira from Eragon
Thanks, that's my typical style of dragon except the mouth line I changed just to try something new. Don't know how I like it but I can adjust it later. I need to work on body design next. I've learned a lot from the videos I've seen

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Postby Metaldrgn » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:04 pm

So I've been watching more videos and learning more mainly on the zbrush side. The big thing I need to learn before I start creating is anatomy. I need to learn human and animal anatomy. That is no easy task for me. Now for games the musculature definition doesn't have to be super detailed since the poly count will be low. At any rate this is going to take awhile (2+ years to get good at character modeling since this is just in my spare time or less depending how much time I dedicate to it...). It is something I want to get better at.

I think off and on about the storyline and how closely it should tie into one/both of the other drakans if any. Also bigger IMO than the storyline is gameplay. What would make this game fun. Singleplayer/Multiplayer, combat system, if multiplayer how big of a world/server would be ideal, air combat/ground combat/mixed combat, building structures, etc.

Oh and I'm still wanting to focus on a VR game. I just got the touch controllers and playing around with it. That immersion with a dragon(s) would be so awesome

Return to “Arokh's Lair Forums”