Drakan Remake by YanGez93

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.

Moderators: Mechanist, Arokhs Twin, yangez93

Metaldrgn
Whelp

Re: Drakan Remake by YanGez93

Postby Metaldrgn » Thu May 03, 2018 5:07 am

When I think of remaking a game I want to make it look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDsRfbfnC_A

I think the realization that none of us have the knowledge to do this level of work nor do we have sufficient time to get to that level for this is something I'm starting to see. I may at some point import the old Arokh model w/ textures and start rebuilding him in ZBrush. While I'm still a ways off on my anatomy, I can start playing with it. I still have commitments until roughly the end of this year, but I will have some free time that I may start messing around with it. I'm also planning to also buy Substance Painter. Not because of this, but it could be a good reason to start using it. I actually would like to get into dragon character design someday at least for my own perspectives if nothing else.

Mechanist
Dragon

Postby Mechanist » Thu May 03, 2018 9:17 am

Yes, but we aren't talking about such levels of quality - well, not yet at least.

For one thing, this is a relatively easy task - because it's a recreation of an existing game, first and foremost.
YanGez has already done a lot of great work on recreating many of the levels.
The game mechanics are rather simple and straightforward, and there isn't even much in the way of cutscenes: I might be wrong on this, but I think that if all the STOMP sequences from OOTF were brought together, they still wouldn't add up to even half an hour of length.

Creating a new game completely from scratch would easily take five, maybe ten times the effort. You'd have to start by creating a coherent setting and plot, then make the levels, design the characters, enemies and cutscenes, hire voice actors, etc., yadda yadda yadda.

Additionally, in this case, it can be an incremental effort: start by making "simply" a playable recreation of OOTF, and improve it from there: better combat system, better AI, add some extra content... maybe eventually throw in a TAG remake in there, as well.

With enough improvements, it'd then be feasible (and relatively easy, at that point) to use the resulting well-developed game engine to create a completely new, marketable game, without using any of OOTF's assets or IP.

Hmm, out of idle curiosity, I wonder just how expensive would it be to buy the IP rights to Drakan... :?:
Probably far out of reach - but then again, I've personally witnessed a 2-man "garage company" grow into a multimillion-dollar major manufacturing plant over the course of about a decade and a half, so the bounds of possibility are clearly far wider than they appear to be...

yangez93
Whelp

Postby yangez93 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi :)

OpenOOTF:A Drakan Remake Tech Demo

I'd like to annouce that I finally release OpenOOTF:A Drakan Remake Tech Demo with Ruined Village level.

There is link directly to Google Drive folder so you can download this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TAQuM ... lF8VxmAnUE

Everything you need to play is just unpack OpenOOTF_A_Drakan_Remake-_Ruined_Village.rar file, size of it is 1,05GB packed, 2,07GB unpacked. You need to execute file ruinedvillage.exe. Don't need to download any other assets, just click and play :)

Commands:
W,S,A,D-moving
Shift-Sprint
Alt-switching run/walk
1-Toggle weapon

Actually way of extract only Ruined Village is by option "Select Dependencies" of Ruined Village scene and export package-> and import in another project, this project called Dracon, it'll be "basis" of OpenOOTF and make this organized. Removing unused assets takes a time and release Tech Demo with all made levels it will give a very large capacity of project. Better just release one level with no huge size. We have hard work ahead of us, I hope we can finish it :) I will be very happy if you check this Tech Demo and write your opinion, of course, be forgiving I know Rynn can fly using "Shift" key :) Thank you very much for your previous posts, we discussed much about IP issues, so to be carefull, nice to have original Drakan before you play this :)
Check news about Drakan Remake on my WordPress:
https://drakanremake.wordpress.com/

“Fantasy is hardly an escape from reality. It's a way of understanding it.”
― Lloyd Alexander

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:40 pm

Excellent, I'll give that a try and let you know any feedback.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Morell
Dragon

Postby Morell » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 am

once I get a job and bring my computer to my new flat, I'll give it a try too. can't wait. :-)

Mechanist
Dragon

Postby Mechanist » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 pm

Ok, so here's a collection of some of my ideas for a not-Drakan game. Let me know what do you think.

I'm basing this on broadly keeping the overall premise of the game similar to (or at least inspired by) Drakan - while making the story different enough to avoid any possible IP infringement issues, as well as any claims of being just a blatant ripoff.

(BTW, obviously new names would be needed; I'm using the names from Drakan here, so that there's no confusion as to what I'm referring to)

So, let's start from the beginning (more or less):
  1. Initial history of conflict between dragons and humans :arrow: That's a fairly generic theme, and can be left as is.
  2. The Dragonstone :arrow: Instead of what it was in Drakan, make it an obelisk covered with inscriptions in ancient Draconian, containing arcane knowledge (a gift from the gods) - including a "soul forge"-type spell used to form the Bond.
  3. The Order :arrow: initially just a very-loosely-affiliated bunch of the Bonded, who were keepers of the peace (mercenaries, more or less?) in service of the local lords; subsequently slowly rising to prominence as an independent, highly respected group over the course of several decades; eventually de facto in charge of things (a'la Knights of the Round Table?), thus gradually relegating the existing rulers to a primarily representative/ceremonial role (posessing little actual "ruling power"; eg. the IRL Queen of England) - so no true "Age without Kings".
  4. The Betrayer - idea 1 :arrow: Not a human, but a dragon - who grew up in the days of peace (so never knew REAL conflict), and was indignated at the idea of bonding with the (apparently inferior) humans. Started out by absorbing the soul of his own rider to extend his own lifespan/power, and then proceeded to capture humans wholesale, for the express purpose of draining their souls as well.
    This would inevitably lead to 2 dragon factions forming: those who preferred to Bond, and those who resented it.
    Obviously, in this scenario, the Dark Union would consist of both humans AND dragons - the human members, in this case, being non-Bonded who sympathized with the latter dragons' cause, and/or wanted the Order out of the picture to further their own agenda.
  5. The Betrayer - idea 2 :arrow: First part is same as #1 above - but that was actually a ruse by the human, who successfully managed to transfer their soul to the dragon's body (because they needed the powerful form of a dragon to perpetrate their own evil schemes) - and in the process made it look like the dragon was actually the Betrayer! This would of course promptly lead to boycotts of the Order, eventually culminating in a mass dragonslaying campaign?
  6. The Betrayer - aftermath :arrow: This is where I start to run out of ideas for now; I thought I had something good going there, but then I realized I've basically reinvented the rest of Drakan:OOTF; which is obviously a no-starter in this case.

yangez93
Whelp

Postby yangez93 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Hi here :)

Because some time has passed since the first Tech Demo was released. I'd like to put some news about progress of OpenOOTF:

First.
I added sounds, sound ambience from original Drakan, Rynn footsteps that you can check on latest gameplay that I put link on my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFSOIdFkVko.

Main sounds are footsteps with random play footsteps sounds from original Drakan (dirt sounds).Example of used sounds: sounds triggers on: cliffs, Rynn's comments when she discovers Grimstone or Arokh's Lair, sound ambience in Crypt, waterfalls or wind ambience sounds.( Of course mixed 2D and 3D sounds and changed pitch a little in some areas)

Thanks to BuXXe's DBReader that I was able to extract sounds in wav files. Another way was Mechanist's method with recording sounds from Level Editor using Stereo Mix. Not an important method, an important final effect :)

Thanks to Zalasus that he sent me a file with extracted RRC Data that contains inventory, main menu, HUD, health orb etc. I've put in into remake. I made intro level with main title OpenOOTF. Thanks to Morell model I put Drakan Owl but I had to edit UV coordinates after exporting obj model it was impossible to get the desired results with an immediate texture layout. Maybe I do not know much about Pepakura software :D

After releasing recent utilities such as BuXXe's blender scripts with importing REO files. I next problems with glitches won't be anymore. Especially with Temple, Heron's Tomb, Tavern, houses and another structures.

For Wartok Canyons. Level is almost completed in terms of terrain and general sketch, with snowy part as well. There aren't details of course. There is also to do exact location of waterfalls. Ruined Village as well is almost completed in terms on general sketch.

Main Menu has effect of rotating only one crystal(New Game) so far. It also changes color( in the appropriate hover crystal script). But I have problem with finding a script on continuous sound after hover crystal no as playOneShot().

Resulution and overall settings, with JSON utility now in Remake it is possible to save settings and re-loading json file.

I put on camera -> Collsion script. And adding Mesh Colliders to most of objects since there was main observation of Mechanist when he tested Tech Demo and of course computing Occlusion Culling on Wartok Canyons. He also noticed drop of FPS on grass areas in Ruined Village.

One of the important note about legal issues:
The main assumption is that it will be release as MOD and players before playing they will have to have original copy of Drakan:Order Of The Flame since Remake use original files from this game.

For Mechanist ideas: We discussed mainly on our Discord channel.

1.Initial history of conflict between dragons and humans -> there were many fiction stories with humans defeating the dragons, freeing the princess from the tower where the dragon is, evil and good dragons etc.
2.The Dragonstone -> I always find out that in games with Dragons main player has to find artifact to defeat or ride the dragon. Sounds good.
3.The Order-> Often found in popular titles, sounds good. Especially in terms of fantasy games
4.The Betrayer - idea 1-> interesting one, only good dragons live everywhere on world with various creatures. Suddenly appears evil dragon? Is it more about the dragon betrayer in the order?
5.The Betrayer - idea 2-> something like a human who wanted to take over the world? By getting good Dragon soul and turn him into evil?
6.The Betrayer - aftermath-> here I would add that evil start to conquer new territories. Where war between Dark Union and Order is beginning to spread more and more in the fictional world.

I've had ideas about Heron's origins of the Legend. Something like starting game by priest like Atimar who tells stories/legends about Heron and Arokh to peasants/villagers but not everyone believes him, the action will begins from the time when Heron was an ordinary peasant who bond with the Dragon-> founded The Order. Similar to this is very interesting one of Fan Fiction : Uniting of Heroes by Arokh’s Twin

Here some screenshots of recent progress of OpenOOTF as always:

Main menu as I mentioned in this post

Here basic menu with some graphics options, antialiasing, VSync and apply settings with JSON utility

Drakan wise owl :) Thanks to Morell's model. Mechanist's updates of Level Editor with exporting Alpha channel textures(tree branches). I tried to recreate this one as it is in original Drakan

Tavern

Mechanist discovered that in original Drakan mace is upside down :) Check also firefly lamp and particle system //Edited In Remake is upside down :)

Here we have camera collision script. See also original Drakan barrels

One of inner house in Ruined Village, every model has of course mesh collider. See also health orb or health potion on bookshelf.

Temple:

Snow in Wart`ok Canyons:

And of course, I'll try to release next version of Tech Demo :)

― Lloyd Alexander

Mechanist
Dragon

Postby Mechanist » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Looks very good, better with every update :)

Mechanist discovered that in original Drakan mace is upside down :)
Actually what I meant there was, the mace in the remake was upside down... not in the original Ruined Village level - which is also why I made that remark about dropped maces in the Witcher 1 nonsensically coming to rest vertically, standing on their handles.

The way it's placed against the wall with the handle down makes no sense... not only would it fall over faster than immediately from that position, it would be very awkward to place/retrieve from its current placement. (think about what a real mace user would do when faced with the need to put his/her mace away in a situation like that...)

yangez93
Whelp

Postby yangez93 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Actually what I meant there was, the mace in the remake was upside down..
Yes, you're right :) My fault, I just wrote wrong. In remake is upside down :) Of course, mace is incorrectly rotated, but it goes to be fixed

― Lloyd Alexander

Svarr
Hatchling

Postby Svarr » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:22 pm

All that looks pretty good so far, very promising.

I was thinking about doing a Drakan remake with Unity as well, which is why I found this thread. So, is this supposed to stay a one-man-show? I could help, mainly with scripting.

Drakan is abandonware, so shouldn't the assets and name be free to use, as long as it's non-commercially?

Mechanist
Dragon

Postby Mechanist » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:06 am

Hi, and welcome to the forums :)

You are correct in assuming that YanGez is doing most of the work.
A few other people did contribute to the project in one way or another, but that only accounts for a small part of it.

Drakan is abandonware
Correction:
Drakan: OOTF is abandonware.
However, Sony still holds the rights to the Drakan intellectual property, which includes at least some parts of Drakan: TAG as well.

None of us knows exactly what that entails (because we aren't lawyers) - but the bottom line is, the only way to "safely" do anything like this is to have it be some form of mod for the original game, and require a copy of it to be installed for the mod to run.

In this case it's kinda silly, because OpenOOTF doesn't even (directly) use any of the assets from the Drakan data files, but there you go.

Incidentally - for much the same reason, that also means there's exactly 0 hope for a "Drakan 3", as long as Sony still owns any rights to Drakan.

Return to “Drakan Level Editing and Game Mods”