Character Models

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
prospero
Ancient Dragon

Character Models

Post by prospero »

Just a wild stab in the dark here....

Is it possible to extract the character models in Drakan so that they can be imported into 3dsmax?

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

yes... but with some hacking - there is a functions in Level Editor for extracting .REO (mesh, materials, UV-mapping) and the format of storing .REC data is about the same... so if you point this export function to .REC data you will get mesh exported in .reo format...

i do not remember right all steps of how i did it some years ago but the idea is to load some database with 2 objects - some .reo and the .rec you want to export... next you need to found tha starting address of .rec data structure in memory (i think it is done by calling 'show 3D view' and look what Level Editor did this time - it sends pointers to data to Engine.exe for render)... next you start to export helper .reo object and set a breakpoint at the export function... now change starting address of the data to export to .rec and continue execution - you will get a .reo exported file with .rec mesh ...

notice: it exports all LODs data in 1 mesh, so you need to delete all low-res polygons and vertices data that exceeds 1st highest-res LOD ...

if you have some experience with hacking i can try to found my papers with usefull addresses of the Level Editor that i use when exporting Arokh mesh... also an IDA disassembler database with some comments that i collected...

in theory it IS possible to make an external GUI software that exports .rec mesh in several mouseclicks but i has not that task ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Cheers.[:D] I did not think it would be simple, but good to hear it is possible.