Sword and castle questions

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
shoprat
Dragon

Post by shoprat »

Natharias
Heh, slowly, step-by-step I am learning how to use this editor. Unfortunately I have a Voodoo 2 and so the 3D-view doesn't work so I really can't see how my level is progressing without going into the game. Needless to say it makes it just a *little* harder than normal, but anyway . . .

I've figured out how to make custom weapons along with new effects and all that fun stuff. Right now I got a blue-flaming mithril great sword that shoots lightning ala the lightning axe and the one problem I'm having is that everytime I shoot the damned thing it damages me. Even when I hit something else I still get damaged so anyone know which variable(s) I have set wrong? Thought I set it up exactly like the axe (for now) but apparently not.

Another question is somewhat like the one Tomb had asked about the castle walls. The response was that any vertical walls were actually models and not layers. So in that case I take it having a huge castle in a volcanic crater would not be a good thing, at least as far as framerate goes (and 3D mathamatical calculations because of the 3D-view problem as well). The reason I'm asking is I've got this small paper castle that I would love to make into a level someday. I tried it in Quake, but put to scale, I don't even think I managed to get a 1/4 of this thing in before I started getting problems.

Other than those two, I can pretty much figure everything else out (I hope. If not, you'll know)

Cleaner
1. The problem with the your sword may be that the object generator which is creating the lightning is actually too close to Rynn hitting her when its fired. Another possibility is that it is set up incorrectly. Are you referencing the exact same lightning object generator as the axe uses or did you recreate it?

2. You can not create vertical walls with the level editor. We use MAX to create castles and things. Size really doesn't matter its all about polygon count and there are a lot of tricks to maximizing your poly count. When creating massive structures we build a seperate interior and exterior. When you are inside the exterior does not render and visa versa.

Hope this helps...

Natharias
When I did the sword, I basically duplicated the lightning generator into my new database and changed the damage and messed with the firing times (Was interesting to see it let loose about 5 seconds after I hit the alt-fire) but really didn't do more than that, or at least I don't think I did. haven't had the time to really worry about it lately.

jsera
I did something similar. I was testing it in Single Player and was actually hurting my dragon and not myself. (The effect is the same)
Just a thought.

Cleaner
The timing is what prevents the player from getting hit (as I remember). So you may want to check that.