Drakan Remake by YanGez93

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.

Moderators: Arokhs Twin, yangez93

Mechanist
Dragon

Re: Drakan Remake by YanGez93

Postby Mechanist » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:01 pm

I suspect there's a fair chance it could be simply due to stupid anti-virus programs flagging it as malicious.
Yeah, that's very annoying alright.
It does not help that due to the "limitations" of "modern" (post-DOS) operating systems, KERNEL32.VirtualProtect is the only real way to patch other binaries at runtime - which, incidentally, is also the same approach used by malware for its own purposes.

My patch in particular does a whole bunch of such things, including redirecting the Drakan entry point code execution to user code. At least I don't place the detour right at the entry point, but hook a kernel function call instead - but I don't think it makes much difference in the end, though, as far as false positives are concerned.

Should've thought about some of the original assets being in the remake ATM just serving as placeholders.
If you were to frequent our Discord channel, you'd have seen the completely new fanmade NPC models others have submitted towards the cause.
Although of course that's still just a small fraction of what would be needed to replace all of the original NPC models, not to even mention all of the remaining models (scenery etc.), let alone the entirety of the original assets.

Arokh
Hatchling

Postby Arokh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:15 pm

ITS 2019 how’s the remake going!!!!?

yangez93
Dragon

Postby yangez93 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Welcome :)

I would like to say briefly that I decided finish work on OpenOOTF: A Drakan remake.

The game at first had to be a game where the player will have possibilities as they are in DrakanOOTF with with better graphics and new Unity Engine features.

I considered all possibilities of completing this project, one of them was simply recreating the world of Drakan OOTF in a modern engine that could attract new members and former Drakan players. I think that this way of finishing the project should simply be called fan art, not a game.

I think the work was not wasted, beacuse thanks to this project we brought here some new members and maybe encourage members to write plugins or make mods. And project certainly contributed to a greater interest in Drakan

Thanks for all members that helped me in developing this project

Of course, I encourage you to look at my other projects, I will publish new topics on the Arokh's Lair, if anyone is interested :) If someone wants assets from OpenOOTF please contact me at yangez93 at gmail dot com

Regards

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Postby Arokhs Twin » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Nice to hear you decided to continue work on this. Still a long way to go but looking forward to seeing it finished.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

yangez93
Dragon

Postby yangez93 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for answer Arokhs Twin. I wanted to finish by making couple cutscenes and only part of levels that I haven't made yet, including:Alwarren,Succubus Lair,Grotto and Islands Night. Because recreating world in every detail requires also to do other features such as game mechanics, dragon riding, combat system etc. Project will be finished as fan art so I decided also to remove link to Tech Demo unfortunately. I also wanted to say that it should be reasonable way to recreate Drakan world in modern engines

Return to “Drakan Level Editing and Game Mods”