Where can I find Drakan: OOTF?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

If the makers of the game get NOTHING out of resales of the game, where is the personal 'profit' in getting upset over the mode of acquisition? I would've bought the game when it came out if I had known of it then... it was my lot to arrive on the scene a few years late. I bless AXE and his low-key commitment to assisting those who may otherwise be unable to play the game that even THIS site is based upon. I have played and recommended the game, and cherish the user created levels. Tho I downloaded it, I look for a copy EVERY stinkin' time I go into E.B. or to a flea market with older PC games. I still don't have one... but I'm playing Drakan. That's the proof and validation of the worth of its availability.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arokhs Twin</i>

I have heard of abandonware, yes but Drakan isn't yet officially abandonware. It should be, but that's an entireley different story...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Most abandonware games aren't declared abandonware either, let me inform you. ;) From the legal side, it's illegal to download Heroes1 or Heroes2 or Abuse for example - but who cares now. But, officially, those aren't abandonware either. Officially - there are hardly a few abandonware games.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I see your points, and I agree. I was just pointing out you can get the game legally *BUT* people will find piracy objectionable and I agree with them also. However, in Drakan's case, I doubt Surreal would care and even Sony probably wouldn't be bothered as the game is no longer produced. If the game is bought legally or not, Sony won't get the cash for it (Surreal has already been paid by Psygnosis). So, this is where the argument comes in; in this case, is piracy acceptable or not? I guess its up to individual feelings.
Its a touchy subject and like I said before, I'm not taking anyone's side.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

So I turn my ftp off for 1 day, and I get an e-mail to turn it on, someone needs the file cause there pc crashed and they need re-install all again. Who keeps hiting my site, its got over 600 hits! in 2 months since I put the counter on! I turned the server off, cause someone was trying to hack into my pc, so I firewalled it for 2 days, solid, them's gone, hehe so itz back up again!

sonu
Whelp

Post by sonu »

well its an old game and there are not many players,so letting ppl download for free ,i dont think ther's any harm in that.Offering it for free may attract more players :) so Drakan community grows.Axe no one gonna sue u :D for a game which is out of production.I think its fair as its not causing any loss.good work .i forgot hello :) c u ppl soon.I wana hold a sword gime a sword :D havent playes for looooon time i guess 2 weeks.
c u guys

Navaros
Whelp

Post by Navaros »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by darkwraith007</i>

I hate you idiots...WHY would you bother pirating this game when its available for cheap on ebay?

I BOUGHT the game off of ebay, and I'm happy I did. It may not be supporting the developers anymore, but at least its better then pirating it.

I *WAS* going to put up a fix/patch that I made MYSELF on this forum for fixing almost all the problems with running Drakan in WinXP, but I have decided not to do so. Have fun with messed up multiplayer, you lame-arse pirating nOObs.

Later.

this is by far the stupiest and most ridiculous post i've ever seen on this site

pirating is when you are RIPPING OFF THE PUBLISHERS & GAME DEVELOPERS.

since Drakan is OFF THE MARKET - no money is being lost by either Sony or Surreal software when someone downloads Drakan

no one is losing anything. all that is happening is people who have NO OTHER WAY TO GET DRAKAN now have the chance to play this game.

you can't force people to use eBAY to get a used copy. who knows what condition that used copy would be in. it may be fine - i've bought stuff from eBAY before that was fine - but then again it may not be. maybe some people don't like eBAY or are not adults hence can not use eBAY. just because something exists on ebAY, it does not mean that people have a moral obligation to buy it from eBAY

i can not speak for the Surreal devs, but i'm guessing that they have NO PROBLEM with people downloading Drakan at this point in time seeing as they are making ZERO DOLLARS from Drakan anyways - and downloading Drakan just means the MORE PEOPLE CAN ENJOY THEIR GAME WHO OTHERWISE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ABLE TO PLAY IT.

any credible dev is PROUD of his work and WANTS IT TO BE ENJOYED BY AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE.

without letting Drakan downloads be available, then we would pretty much be guaranteeing that almost NO ONE new ever plays Drakan. that is not doing Sony any good. that is not doing Surreal any good. and that is not respecting Surreal's great game; by telling anyone who didn't happen to buy it when it was ON THE MARKET "since you're too late, too bad you can't play Drakan and we don't want you to!"

in conclusion, i don't like to flame you but since you saw fit to incorrectly call us idiots, i will now return that insult, only the difference is when I say it, it's actually TRUE --- you darkwraith are an IDIOT for slamming us because we support and respect Drakan and believe that it should be enjoyed by as many people as possible; as of course the devs surely want too

on a final note: it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PIRATE ABANDONWARE.

darkwraith007
Hatchling

Post by darkwraith007 »

Wow, ppl actually bothered to respond to the post I made...and its still getting hits on Google...lol.

Well lemme put it this way:

There is NO SUCH THING as "Abandonware". It does NOT exist, period. Ask any developer, publisher, lawyer...they'll tell you. Its called intellectual property, and its never "abandoned". Who knows if they want to remake a new version or sequel of Drakan? Or re-release it someday? You have NO right to determine when a game is "old" enough to pirate, whatever the motivations.

"Abandonware" is a term coined by those who justify piracy, as in "the game's so old and not available, lets just get it anyways". All I can say is, get over it. There are ways to get the game, ebay isn't the ONLY option...kids :P
There's the HardForums, there's online reseller shops, hell do a search on Google and see what you find...
So you don't have a credit card? Uh...NOT an excuse.
If you are a minor and can't get a credit card, go get a prepaid one. Yeah, there's an activation charge, but its only a few dollars and you can use it like a credit card online anywhere. They are widely available now at grocery stores and convenience stores. Don't tell me you're gonna steal the gas to drive there...or can any of you kids even drive? :P

Pirating is WRONG. Period. No point in moping around and whining and crying about "oh they won't mind". BULLCRAP!
Ask them and get them to make it open-source or to release the files for free distribution, instead of pirating it and being ignorant about it :P

Just thought this had to be said, cause its been said way too many times before. Take all that energy and fun you seem to have in pirating, and go make a petition on petitiononline.com to get Drakan legally released for free, so ppl won't have to feel guilty about pirating it. Its not about "lets get more ppl to play it", its about "why not ask the developers and publishers what THEY think?". After all, it IS their game so just ASK.

Good Day, and I'm done here.
DarkWraith007

Gorgon2
Whelp

Post by Gorgon2 »

Ok, so the game is no longer in production. The developer has been bought out. The new owners of the intellectual property rights have buried it. There is <b>NEVER</b> going to be a commercial sequel on the PC. All the retail copies there are ever going to be, have been made and sold. Nobody is going to get any more money from Drakan <b>EVER</b> other than punters selling on their copies.

So the only two ways that someone who wants to try the game is going to get hold of a copy are either second hand if they can find one (not that many about) or download a copy. No-one is going to lose out financially from this.

As a developer myself, yes, I'd be really p*ssed off if someone was taking money out of my pocket. But if a product is sold/finished/completed/never going to produce an income ever again, then good luck to people wanting to use it. (Just don't expect any free technical support from me, ok? [;)])

I'm guessing darkwraith007 lives in the States, because I have never heard of any sort of prepaid card that you can use like a credit card here in the UK and I doubt most of the rest of the world has either.

To all intents and purposes, Drakan (I'm only referring to the PC version here), is an abandoned set of code and will only ever exist in the public domain on the retail CD's already sold.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Take all that energy and fun you seem to have in pirating, and go make a petition on petitiononline.com to get Drakan legally released for free, so ppl won't have to feel guilty about pirating it. Its not about "lets get more ppl to play it", its about "why not ask the developers and publishers what THEY think?". After all, it IS their game so just ASK.

I seem to remember the Drakan community asking the developers, with a online petiton, 2 yrs ago, asking to have the source code made available, so that our friends could make a new improved patch.

It has been tryed, and now that Sony has the rights, it will never be made. We make do with what we have, and are happy with it.[8D]

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by darkwraith007</i>

Wow, ppl actually bothered to respond to the post I made...and its still getting hits on Google...lol.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
If you came back to ignite some further bashing, you are more retarted than I thought previously. Congratulations, you have registered an account on this forum just to say "OMG YOU SUCK". Well done.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by darkwraith007</i>There is NO SUCH THING as "Abandonware". It does NOT exist, period. Ask any developer, publisher, lawyer...they'll tell you. Its called intellectual property, and its never "abandoned". Who knows if they want to remake a new version or sequel of Drakan?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The new game is not abandonware, in this case.

Or re-release it someday?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
It's not abandonware after it's been re-released, because relrelasing shows the company is still interested in the game. However, this doesnt seem to stand for Drakan as the original creator has now lost the rights to the game big time.

You have NO right to determine when a game is "old" enough to pirate, whatever the motivations.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Oh my god, I downloaded Heroes2! And Doom2! And Wolfeinstein! I'm going to burn in hell! Get serious, kid. If you believe what you say, you are braindead or stupid.

"Abandonware" is a term coined by those who justify piracy, as in "the game's so old and not available, lets just get it anyways".<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Is it pirating? Humm let's see. Can you buy Drakan in shops? Is it in production? Nooo.

You mention Ebay or buying CDs from owners. That does not generate royalty or income to the company anymore. So it doesn't matter to them. Face it: this title (Drakan: Order of the Flame) no longer generates income to Surreal or SONY. If you can't understand it, go and learn how laws and rights work.

All I can say is, get over it. There are ways to get the game, ebay isn't the ONLY option...kids :P

There's the HardForums, there's online reseller shops, hell do a search on Google and see what you find...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">It doesn't matter to anyone if I rebuy a game, except the dude who I buy it from. Your point is?

If you are a minor and can't get a credit card, go get a prepaid one. Yeah, there's an activation charge, but its only a few dollars and you can use it like a credit card online anywhere. They are widely available now at grocery stores and convenience stores. Don't tell me you're gonna steal the gas to drive there...or can any of you kids even drive? :P<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Again, what difference does it make if I buy it from someone?

Pirating is WRONG. Period. No point in moping around and whining and crying about "oh they won't mind". BULLCRAP!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
It was said a million times: noone gains from reselling.

Ask them and get them to make it open-source or to release the files for free distribution, instead of pirating it and being ignorant about it :P<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
We did. They refused. If you can't even bother to look up things, go and stfu.

Just thought this had to be said, cause its been said way too many times before. Take all that energy and fun you seem to have in pirating, and go make a petition on petitiononline.com to get Drakan legally released for free, so ppl won't have to feel guilty about pirating it. Its not about "lets get more ppl to play it", its about "why not ask the developers and publishers what THEY think?". After all, it IS their game so just ASK.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I did, and never got a reply. The once I got the reply from SONY is they stated I better just change my fangame from Drakan to something else.

And who says anyone feels guilty for downloading a game that's not in production for YEARS?

DarkWraith007
Never see you again.

EDIT:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Abandonware
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Abandonware is computer software which is no longer being sold or supported by its copyright holder. Alternately, the term is also used for software which is still available, but on which further support and development has been deliberately discontinued.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abandonware

Seems our ignorant troll should read some articles on the issue before coming here and posting rubbish.

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Wow, ppl actually bothered to respond to the post I made...and its still getting hits on Google...lol.

Well lemme put it this way:

There is NO SUCH THING as "Abandonware". It does NOT exist, period. Ask any developer, publisher, lawyer...they'll tell you. Its called intellectual property, and its never "abandoned". Who knows if they want to remake a new version or sequel of Drakan? Or re-release it someday? You have NO right to determine when a game is "old" enough to pirate, whatever the motivations.

"Abandonware" is a term coined by those who justify piracy, as in "the game's so old and not available, lets just get it anyways". All I can say is, get over it. There are ways to get the game, ebay isn't the ONLY option...kids :P
There's the HardForums, there's online reseller shops, hell do a search on Google and see what you find...
If you are a minor and can't get a credit card, go get a prepaid one. Yeah, there's an activation charge, but its only a few dollars and you can use it like a credit card online anywhere. They are widely available now at grocery stores and convenience stores. Don't tell me you're gonna steal the gas to drive there...or can any of you kids even drive? :P

Pirating is WRONG. Period. No point in moping around and whining and crying about "oh they won't mind". BULLCRAP!
Ask them and get them to make it open-source or to release the files for free distribution, instead of pirating it and being ignorant about it :P

Just thought this had to be said, cause its been said way too many times before. Take all that energy and fun you seem to have in pirating, and go make a petition on petitiononline.com to get Drakan legally released for free, so ppl won't have to feel guilty about pirating it. Its not about "lets get more ppl to play it", its about "why not ask the developers and publishers what THEY think?". After all, it IS their game so just ASK.

DarkWraith007

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

On a positive note:

http://www.drakan.uni.cc has been updated, with a new multiplayer folder for download. It contains all the beta levels that were ever released. Thankz to Brzak for keeping his old pc around, and updating the files.[8D]

Also Nightwing has a website where the files are available too!
http://www.thedreamridersrealm.com

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Wow that sounds like an improvment =)
With me playing GC again, I think I'll get that. :)

BTW Axe - why is GC server down saturdays?

pox
Whelp

Post by pox »

who said that abandonware doesn't exist?go to google and search for hidden and dangerous deluxe or ground control(these are only two examples...)you can legally download the full version of both of them and there are a lot of case of games like them...abandonware is not just a dream,it's alive and well!!!!

pox
Whelp

Post by pox »

ah,i forgot to suggest you to visit www.the-underdogs.org,it's an enormous abandonware site which gives you free downloads of old games or indicates sites where you can buy them...