XP Crash

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
thothie
Hatchling

XP Crash

Post by thothie »

Well, I'm reading here, and it seems some people have this thing working in XP... Not me so far though...

When the game launches, all the pretty logo screens come up, but when I click on "New Game" it crashes to desktop.

I've tried Windows 98 Compatability mode, to no avail, and all sorts of settings.

The odd thing is - I CAN run the game in multiplayer... I loved the old demo of this back when it first came out, and am more interested in the nolstagia I can get from the single player.

Specs:
CPU: P4ht 3.0Ghz
GPU: BFG 6800GT OC (Driver: 66.93)
RAM: 1Gb
Drakan Build: patched to 445 (Crashed same way before patch)

thothie
Hatchling

Post by thothie »

I downloaded the Savegame "after alwarren" and if I load that, I can play... But that's quite a ways into the game.

If no one has a solution to this problem, could someone send me a save file right at the beginning of the game? That would solve my problem, evidentaly.

I'll provide free web space for whoever sends it to me. :D

Little_Devil
Hatchling

Post by Little_Devil »

I can send you save game at the beginning (but after intro), just send me e-mail (menu is in top of this post), so I know where to send reply.

And what's about this 'free web space'? :>

thegaj
Hatchling

Post by thegaj »

I have the same problem help

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

GPU: BFG 6800GT OC (Driver: 66.93)

This game just does not like the high end Gforce cards, sorry to say.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Tried launching the game in developer mode? (Hold down SHIFT while launching the game) That usually fixes this sort of problem.

thothie
Hatchling

Post by thothie »

Nope. I think it's the way it renders the opening movie.

Again, if someone can send me a save game that takes place at the beginning of the game, just after said movie, I'll give you more or less limitless free web space at my domain with your own folder/pass.

send to spam(at)thothie.com

Dc`
Hatchling

Post by Dc` »

Hi guys, i decided to register here ;)

yeah, its gotta be a problem with the high performance gpu cards...

I could always play this great game when I had Geforce 4 Ti4200, but now when i upgraded to gefroce 6800 ultra, game crashes when starting a new game. But I can still play loaded games...

So there most be that problem with the rendering of the opening video.

But, i havent played this game for awhile now and i cant remember if the opening video is the one where dylan gets capture... If so, its gotta be the same as every other in game video, right? Cause when i loaded a save game from earlier, i also came across that swordsman right before entering the secret entrance to the grimstone mines...And i sucsessfully viewed that video...

But are there anyone who knows where the opening video lies in the drakan folder? Thought i'd might delete it, and try starting a new game afterwards. Or if someone has a savegame for me right after the intro and could send it to c-norris@online.no i'd appriciate it ;)

Lord William
Whelp

Post by Lord William »

I've uploaded a Drakan Beginning savegame that can be found at the following link:

http://home.comcast.net/~cascade_bill/y ... inning.zip

Hope that it will solve your problems.

-LW

Dc`
Hatchling

Post by Dc` »

Ah thansk alot Lord William, it works perfectly. Appriciate it! ;) I just hope there aren't more bugs who can be trigger with this graphic card.

Btw, do you remember what difficulty it is?[:D]

Lord William
Whelp

Post by Lord William »

I don't know what the difficulty level is but in my drakan config file (drakan.cfg) there is a line:

set difficulty "0"

I'm not a big Drakan expert but I would think that changing that value would alter the difficulty level. I don't know if the change, say to "1" would make the difficulty go up or down. Maybe one of the Drakan experts could reply to that. Glad that the savegame worked.

-LW

Stiler
Whelp

Post by Stiler »

Thanks Lord William, that worked for me aswell :).

Had the same problem, everytime I tried to start a game it just crashed on me, using a 6800ultra here.

Akasha Ravensong
Hatchling

Post by Akasha Ravensong »

I have had a few occasional crashes in my game however wehn i finish the bellhammer quest and am leaving Alwarren the game crashes While loading the next part directly after Alwarren. I cant get it to load no matter what i do. Does anybody seem to have any hints as to how i could get it to load or where can i find a download for directly after the Alwarren quests? thanks, Raven

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Ah, the famed "Alwarren Bug". Your best bet is to either start the level from the beginning, or ask someone for a savegane right after the quest. I don't have one but I think AT might help with that...

Akasha Ravensong
Hatchling

Post by Akasha Ravensong »

actually, i found that after i changed the desktop settings to 16 bit color i had no problems, it loaded fine and now i'm stuck in the castle trying to get the rift crystal lol.. i'll figure it out. I'm just glad i found out that you can download patches so you can play tyhe game in xp... it was my favortie game but i never got to play it when we got xp! yay! i'm happy now but ty