Info on the world of Drakan

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Info on the world of Drakan

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I'm thinking of adding a page on the main site to go with other pages such as character info etc that describes the world of Drakan. I didn't do this when the site was created as there was little information about this fantasy world but however now that there has been more fan fictions, player levels and of course Drakan: TAG, it seems more worthwhile compiling a few things together.

Ill see if its a good idea or not but this is what I have come up with / noticed so far. Feel free to add some more observations yourself.

1) The world is one of two adjacent planets (the other one called Sessool) which orbit a single sun in a solar system somewhere on the other side of our galaxy. Sessool is where the Desert Lords came from. Drakan has four moons whilst its sister planet has only one. Drakan consists mainly of sea like our world but it has at least four continents (anyone know the names of these?) one of which is the main land mass of the world. This largest continent called 'the great continent' covers the central area of one side of the planet. There is a central mountain range that runs from east to west which is where the Order of the Flame originated from. Rynn's village and Surdana are situated in the foothills of these mountains near the west coast.

There is a south eastern continent which is where Alwarren, the Succubi lair, Mount Tibor & Drakan City can be found. This is mainly a tropical climate and is where the final battle against the Dark Union took place 600 years before Rynn's time.

There is a northern continent, which covers the top of the planet and stretches down to almost meet the great central continent on its north western side. The Andrellian islands can be found in the short span of sea between these two continents. Ravenshold is on the southernmost tip of the northern continent.

The other two continents lie to the east and west of the central continent with the western one being unexplored and largley unknown to the inhabitants of the central continent; kind of like the USA was unknown to Europe hundreds of years ago. This continent can possibly harbour new species and civilizations unknown to the old and new Order of the Flame.
The eastern continent is where Navaros retreated to and is rumoured to harbour vile magic and travel to this part of the world was forbidden by the Order of the Flame.

2) The Order of the Flame constructed gates and portals in several areas of the world to enable instant travel. Most of these have been destroyed and only the Mother's Eye and its satellite gates are in working order.

3) It appears there was a technologically advanced period in Drakan's history thousands of years before the Order was formed where things like electricity was used and other modern day technology. It is not known why the world reverted to medeival status & technology and what happened to all the 'old' modern stuff.

4) The inhabitants of Drakan had the ability to travel to other worlds such as ours at some point but this was only for a short period and the technology to do this was destroyed and forgotten about.

5) Native species to the planet are Dragons (all breeds), humans, Goblins (on the south eastern continent only), Succubi, Trogs, Orcs (Grull) and Wartocks. The scavengers and giants are genetically and / or magically enhanced versions of other creatures and were created by Navaros's Dark Union. The Succubi, Grull and Wartocks were never evil and were converted by the Dark Union and many of them remained loyal to Navaros and his Union long after its demise.

Some of the Grull and Wartocks then became allies with the Desert Lords when they invaded some some years after Navaros was banished to the rift. You now have two groups of Grull and Wartocks; one supporting and still calling themselves the 'Dark Union' and the other group supporting the Desert Lords. The Succubi hate the Desert Lords & humankind and are still allies with the Dark Union Wartocks / Grull.

6) Elder Breed dragons like Arokh have an average lifespan of about 300 years. Humans 80 years. Arokh is at least 220 years old when he bonded with Rynn making him equivalent to the human age of about 60. It is not normal for a human so young as Rynn to bond with a dragon of Arokh's age but she didn't have a choice in the matter.

Any more?

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

That's amazingly comprehensive, sir.
One thing of note is that hibernation must figure into the Dragon's lifespan, because in the beginning of D:TAG, Arokh says that he hadn't heard the Grand Summons of the Order in over six hundred years.

I'm really knocked out by the amount of connective tissue you've provided to the body of Drakan as a work.

If I think of relationships and factors which haven't been presented, I'll let you know. This is so cool...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It was approx 600 years between the end of the Order and Rynn awakening him so I'm guessing this is what he meant.

A very long time ago, whilst D: TAG was in development, Stu? over at surreal software said that in their planned story for the games the order was established and ruled for around 400 years. There was a 600 year gap 'the fallen age' between the end of the war and Arokh's awakening so it was 1000 years before Rynn's time when the order was established. All of this and more was intended to be in the books you could pick up and read which were sadly cut from the game.

_X_BioHazard_X_
Whelp

Post by _X_BioHazard_X_ »

Wow... Great stuff...
Never heard of th modern technoligy though...
Where can I get the books?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The books are not something you can buy or download; they were going to be something you could pick up and read during the game but they were cut out of the final game because they were unfinished. Some info on what was going to be in them was mentioned by Surreal employees who frequented the surreal-news forums for several months before and after the game's release. I don't think any of them visit now.

However, some of the info was incorprated into the fan fiction story 'The Order Reborn' which can be downloaded from this site.

The modern world stuff is taken from Douglas442's series of single player levels.

_X_BioHazard_X_
Whelp

Post by _X_BioHazard_X_ »

Okay, thanks for the info ;).

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Hmm, I didn't know there were now two groups of Wartoks/Orcs... I'll have to alter some things on my story...

Ah, I forgot: yes, i'm writing a story about Drakan. Oh, dear...