How many programmers are here??

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
andreipirate
Whelp

How many programmers are here??

Post by andreipirate »

How many programmers, artists, game/level designers are here??
You don't have to be very good, BUT you must be a BIG FAN of Drakan.

DarthVadr
Whelp

Post by DarthVadr »

Are you planning something? oO

I'm programmer :) (working on my bachelor thesis in computer science)
Also made some maps for Drakan ... but i wouldn't call myself "level designer", neither artist.

If you're planning to do a "Drakan 3" or something like that ... i don't think you'll get enough people (working for free) for a whole new game (not just graphic!) engine and enough 3D-models ... that probably needs more than being a "Big Fan" i fear :-(

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

No, I don't want to make (actually I'd like to, but I can't) a new game, like Drakan 3. I wanted to know if there is someone like me who wanted to improve Drakan the order of the flame (PC)[:D]. I think Drakan is the best, but the graphics sucks!!! Do you think I get paid??? NO, I don't[:(]!! I'm not an artist, but maybe I can make something, I can learn. You think that the people who made the mods for san andreas get paid? No!(most of them!!).

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

Just look in DRAKAN SCREENSHOTS and tell me that the graphic doesn't sucks!!

DarthVadr
Whelp

Post by DarthVadr »

Actually i like its graphics - at least the style, even though from technical view the graphics are not up-to-date. But without disassembler which is forbidden (at least here in Germany) as far as I know; I don't see how to improve it. Of course you could make new levels with self-produced textures, objects, etc. but you won't need programmer for that.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

DarthVadr, where have you learned that nonsense about disassembling being the only way to improve Drakan?

Look here if you want to help upgrading visual side of Drakan:
http://www.arokhslair.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2909 :)

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

DarthVadr, I also like the style, but come on, it's like playing a game from stone age!!!! Yes, the "only" way to improve Drakan might be diassemblign it. You can't just replace the texture because it will look 80% the same. I want to know if there is someone here who can try (at least) to improve Drakan! The programmers are for fixing bugs, if there are any bugs (hope not)!
For Shelim: Yes I've looked at that link, but that only improves the menu, NOT THE GAME.

DarthVadr
Whelp

Post by DarthVadr »

Shelim, i didn't "learn" it anywhere, that was just the only thing that came to my mind ;) - i didn't think of replacing libraries. So yeah, you're obviously right.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

andreipirate, a bit more faith for what I am doing (as I am doing quite hard way). I know you are not programmer and do not know many programming-related terms, so I try to explain. [:)]

When I finish replacing DirectX 6.1 D3D module I will be able to inject any shader code to any texture. And not only that. In example I can make Arokh (and any other scene object) to look this way (without any new art!):

http://www.3dkingdoms.com/nmap.jpg
http://www.panda3d.org/wiki/images/f/fa ... apping.jpg

(Links from Google)

And to show you some proof that I can make changes to game itself, here is example of intercepting Arokh texture and dot-producting it (before I could add shaders):

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/6618/drakan04.jpg

DarthVadr
Whelp

Post by DarthVadr »

andreipirate, the game and the menu are all rendered by the graphic card, using DirectX (in case of Drakan). So hooking the DirectX6-calls of Drakan with a newer version of DirectX surely some possibilities to improve the look, especially using shaders.

Shelim, you say "without any new art!"? You still need the height- or normalmaps (using normal/bump- or parallax-mapping), or you would be able to generate them automatically?

By the way, I don't think anybody would care about dissassambling anyway ... but working with assembler code is really annoying ...

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

When I wrote Dark Wars (http://www.arokhslair.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2787) I used normal maps that were automatically generated from diffuse maps. Algorythm is not so complicated and effect was extremely good.

And about disassembly - well, sometimes I want to become citizen of Australia, 'cause disassembling and reverse engineering is completely legal in their law. But I think no one will be able to prove that my actions cause any financial harm to the Surreal or Sony (current owner of what have left from Psygnossis). And thats enough for my own country juridical system to drop the case.

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

Shelim, I'm not a programmer, I'm just like you!
I admire your work, and it's exactlly what I want to do, and I know it's hard work. With what programs you made it??
The way I wanted to improve Drakan is to extract all the single Files from the Database and edit them. With edit them I mean made it better graphics, more polygons(if you know waht that means), new texturs and new shadows.
As for the graphic card, that doesn't improve the game too much. All the element in the game have the same polygons, almost the same shadows...

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Uhmm... Actually I *am* programmer. With more than 6 years of experience and dozen of known programming languages.

Everything in Drakan: 10th anniversy is done in Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and with some use of old and new versions of DirectX SDK.

andreipirate
Whelp

Post by andreipirate »

Sorry, I've understanded wrong! I've understanted that you are NOT a programmmer!!
SORRY!!

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Well, can you post sample of your work? Some 3D model, texture, etc..?