To Translate "Drakan: Order of the Flame"

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
YaReX
Hatchling

To Translate "Drakan: Order of the Flame"

Post by YaReX »

Hey, every one.

I making Polish web site of Drakan's Games Series (http://yarex.republika.pl) and one of the most project is attempt translating all showing texts in game "Drakan: Order of the Flame" from original English text to Polish text. I tried used Level Editor (v1.2), but I can't find files, where is english text. Also I tried use Spanish version game, where spanish text distinguish - but the same result. If some one could help me (show me how convert text or/also send needs files - text, speech), I will be happy to play in "Polish" version game.

I also looking for person who could makes english transripctions from all english cut-scenes from game (I want make Polish subtitles, but I cannot makes them from hearning). Here are all cut-scenes from "Drakan: Order of the Flame": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvdYbmghKs

Thanks for any help :D

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

I only know that the game was once translated in russian, but only the speech, not the text. In order to change your english voices to russian you had to extract some archive into your Drakan folder and overwrite some files. That archive contains of all the .SDB files that there are in Drakan folder, so I suppose voices are kept in .sdb's.

YaReX
Hatchling

Post by YaReX »

I see, but must exists files, which are english text :D
But how to unpack these files? [.SDB files]

Also some one could makes english transripctions from all english cut-scenes from game?
(For a person who uses the English since birth, will not be a problem:)

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

you open them with level editor most likely

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

This is how you do it if you didn't figure it out yet.

First you open some .lvl file in your Level Editor, for example "Ruined Village Book.lvl" (.../Drakan/Mountain World/Ruined Village/Ruined Village Book.lvl).

Then you open the Databases window from the top menu:

Then go to the Sound tab, and here they are, the sound files. By right clicking a sound you can replace it with a different .wav file.
Only make sure that your new .wav files are not longer than the original ones, cuz they will be cropped in the cut scenes afaik.

And one more thing, while I was making this screenshot, my editor crashed 2 times, I have a WinXP, so I would advice you to install a Win98 on your comp, would be much more stable for the Editor...

And what about the transcriptions, I actually never understood some of the conversations in the game. But AT's novel, The Order Reborn, makes it much clearer, it's like a retelling of the game, only the conversations there are not exactly the same way as they are in the game, but it gives you a good idea of what are the ppl talking about. So you might want to check it out, it's in the fan fiction section: http://arokhslair.net/lore.html

YaReX
Hatchling

Post by YaReX »

Eris, thanks - your guide is very helpfull :)
It is a pity that the editor can not save the sound on the disc and just replace the (so recorded sound by using a program). And you have an idea of change strings that appear in the game (in green) and the game menu (ex. CREDITS, LOAD GAME?

And as for the transcripts - you've right - some I still do not understand the dialogue, perhaps because the characters speaks too silence. But it is good that I have all the videos on youtube - you can easily go back again :) Thanks for the help [:)]

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

It's good to see another Drakan fan from Poland :) I remember I was once on your website back awhile ago; I am now really busy, but when I find some spare time, I could help you with translation (I've worked with Drakan executable internals, so mayhap I would be able to find and change the files you are looking for)

YaReX
Hatchling

Post by YaReX »

Hi/Czesc Shelim :D
I finished a recent translation of the cut-scenes from the game - they are on youtube [HERE ALL - http://yarex.republika.pl/D1-Przerywniki_filmowe.html] - see, maybe somewhere there are errors (it was a bit hard, but I'm happy with the work).

And about to translate the game --- I played with editor, but I still can not get at those files, which contains the text in the game. But these strange files unpacked "Game Extractor" - are suspected of extension (0 FILE). I do not know what to read - I really do not know :(

THX for help :)

Would be nice if you Shelim found a way to discover where those specific files that are responsible for in-game text (MAIN MENU, MAPS, INVENTORY ....)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Witam serdecznie [:)]

Nice translation, but I think you are too literally with the texts; Your tenses contain polish words mixed with english grammar; Very often mistake committed on translating. Try to translate, not transliterate [:)]

But I am grateful to you for your time and passion. And btw. I eventually recalled your nickname - we've met already on napisy.info; I am that poor soul who is overtied up with work and school and still can't find enought time to finish translating the third episode of Adventures of Sinbad [:D] (or rather explains so his lack of motivation... [:)] )

YaReX
Hatchling

Post by YaReX »

Hehe - I remember you now:)
Bedziesz robic kolejne napisy do Sindbada? :)
A te napisy to jeszcze wersja alfa - jeszcze trzeba nieco je doszlifowac :)
Aha - gdybym ci podeslal paczke z tymi napisami, to bys naniosl poprawki? Bylbym naprawde wdzieczny :)
PS. Przydalby sie kontakt w Twoim profilu :)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Let's write english, it's more polite for other forum members [;)]

Anyways, I sent you mail with contact info (I really hate publish that in public, I have enough of spam ;) )

As for Sinbad - yes, I will :) I am in the middle of translating third episode, but currently I lack motivation and time. Perhaps I will find more of both soon :)