Running a game server?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
AXE
Dragon

Running a game server?

Post by AXE »

I have recently moved, and have a better cable company, with a upload rate of 500 kb/s download about 1500 kb/s at a reasonable rate. I was thinking of hosting a game server. I am currently looking at a old HP with a Intel 2.8D proccessor, with 2 g ram. I could run win 98, 2000, xp, or 7.

My questions are:

There used to be a server script that, would sit in the startup tray, through DOS promt, when we ran win98. This allowed to have the server reboot when it crashed.

If anyone currently around has any info that might help this project run stable it would be appreciated.

Hope to be testing in the next couple weeks.[8D]

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Have setup a server with ip: 50.70.103.140

am running a intel 2.8 dual core, with 2 g of ram, ati radeon x700 with 256 mb on assus board. Win XP pro 32 bit all updates, no anti virus.

Admin
Dragon

Post by Admin »

Updated server list, thanks

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

Thank you for taking up the serv, Axe!
If you still need the script, here is one once written by DrakonRider.
http://www.mediafire.com/?npdga6b6zcbpfgk
The DOZE.exe thing is probably a separate software altogether but I enclosed it as well. It might be of some help too.

Is there a chance of running a Hamachi client on the server for those who have the 30-sec disconnect bug? Still can't connect to any servers 'cause I'm behind the NAT.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

TY Bregolas, will try later this weekend. Thinking a dedicated server for Hamatchi may be the thing. Just getting everyone onboard and informed about how too connect.

[8D]

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Trying to get svr.keep running. This is the dos script provided. When i run this Doze keeps popping up for the 30 sec but does not start nthew server? any ideas to change script for win xp?[8D]

:m1
if exist c:\winnt\user.dmp goto m2
doze 30
goto m1
:m2
doze 60
del c:\winnt\user.dmp
start /min Drakan.exe /dedicated /levellist "Original Levels" /master
goto m1

AXE
Dragon

Re: Running a game server?

Post by AXE »

I was playing with the Hamachi client today. "Logmein" am I correct with this program. The Hamatchi program let me make an account, but would not let me create a network! :? Even went to Logmein's website and created it there, then tried again, did not occur.

Am Frustrated!!! Uninstalled all programs with this, because not sure if it left me open on its server shares.

I had this issue a few years back and did not like it.

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

I've just tried it and it works fine for me.
DrakanBonded2012 / flamealive
I guess they've cut the number of members per network to 5 since then but it still works...
(Klaerya Delandos)

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

Sorry about the script, my knowledge in scripting is close to no nothing. But I'll try to find the explanation of its algorithm which DrakonRider provided.
(Klaerya Delandos)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

LogMeIn have number of programs (ie two version of Hamachi, one Unmanaged and one Managed). To clarify you'll need Unmanaged one :)
Check this link:
https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... nload.aspx
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Ok will try, as I did the managed one before! 8)

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

So the server crashed on the27th, and I saw the log file today. It seems 2 players were on for awhile. There ping was 110 upto 300 each. The server froze on lvl; Island of death! I have removed this lvl, hope to see if will run stable know!

If I was to get a domain addy, and host a master server, would this be better for the community? Or just switch to a hamachi server? 8) Thinkin!

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

AXE wrote:So the server crashed on the27th, and I saw the log file today. It seems 2 players were on for awhile. There ping was 110 upto 300 each. The server froze on lvl; Island of death! I have removed this lvl, hope to see if will run stable know!

If I was to get a domain addy, and host a master server, would this be better for the community? Or just switch to a hamachi server? 8) Thinkin!
Do you want me to run a domain addy through my website or were you thinking of getting a special domain? Either way if I can ever get drakan to run properly without dropping UDP properly I'd split cost of a domain and host another server.
Moderator Of Arokh's Lair.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

I may host another server, but this depends whenever or not I'll make my old computer working again (probably faulty power supply, but I need to do some diagnostics). Ah, and I can provide custom subdomain in my drakan.eu domain :)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Shelim wrote:I may host another server, but this depends whenever or not I'll make my old computer working again (probably faulty power supply, but I need to do some diagnostics). Ah, and I can provide custom subdomain in my drakan.eu domain :)
it's an easy, and relevant domain too
Moderator Of Arokh's Lair.