Window Seven

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Shelim
Dragon

Re: Window Seven

Post by Shelim »

If you have pretty new graphics card (nVidia 8xxx+ or Radeon equivalent) than you'll have to use either unofficial 445++ patch or Drakan: 10th Anniversary mod (the latter fixes a lot of bugs and adds new special effects, while retaining original story and levels). Other than that you shouldn't have any problems ;)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

DrakanFan1
Hatchling

Post by DrakanFan1 »

Thanks guys! I do go into my computer where designated but I do not see my video card listed. I see my processor, system type and RAM, but nothing else of use. Is there another method of retreving this info? I should also mention that my Win 7 does have the ability to run programs and games in XP Compatibility Mode, and I even have a DOS Emulator for really old games. I noticed that Drakan: OOTF was 1999 and my computer can run most games of that year as well as before and after.

But it sounds like I can go ahead and make a move what with the online patches and mods and stuff. It could be awhile as I'll be holding out for a cheaper copy. Know of any good sources other than Amazon and Ebay?

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

DrakanFan1 wrote:s there another method of retreving this info?
Start menu -> Right click "My Computer" -> Properties -> Device Manager (on the left) -> "Graphics Card" rollout (should be first) -> there should be name
DrakanFan1 wrote:I should also mention that my Win 7 does have the ability to run programs and games in XP Compatibility Mode, and I even have a DOS Emulator for really old games.
Yup, but this does not help in case of Drakan - unofficial patches will do the work :) And since Drakan is 32-bit Windows game, you can't use DOS emulator either ;)
DrakanFan1 wrote:Know of any good sources other than Amazon and Ebay?
Unfortunately not, Ebay is the best way to find it. But there is slight chance that it end up on GoG.com in some future ;)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

DrakanFan1
Hatchling

Post by DrakanFan1 »

Okay, thanks for the info, it really helped. I'm pretty confident my PC can run it. Also, I feel rather stupid, but I did not mention I had a laptop, which as I just now read does not have a video card. And as far as actually getting the game goes, you can get some lesser-quality used copies on Amazon.com right now for about $18.00 and up. Some are quite expensive, reaching almost $100.00 for new copies.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah, only high end laptops have dedicated graphics. Some of the newest low to mid range laptops with the AMD fusion chips (combined CPU and graphics on single chip) should run it. The intel based ones tend to be a no-no unless it is one of the very latest Core I3 / I5's as they are the only ones with half-decent built in graphics.

As for the game, yes, I have seen copies sold on ebay in the past for large sums of cash especially if the box etc is in mint condition. It's practically unavailable unless someone has some old or second hand stock somewhere, with it being such a unique game there are people out there that are willing to pay huge sums for it. My original box etc is mint but I don't want to part with it unless of course I see them on ebay for £1000 :)
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

DrakanFan1 wrote:I did not mention I had a laptop, which as I just now read does not have a video card.
That means you have integrated one - which can be problematic with Drakan: 10th Anniversary shaders rendering. But you can still play retail with all bug fixed, there are two separate executables ;)

DrakanFan1
Hatchling

Post by DrakanFan1 »

Thanks for all the help guys. Actually, I do know my laptop is mid-grade at best, but as long as the game will work as it is retail that's fine. I have been on Amazon.com lately and you canget OOTF for as low as $20.00 USD, but those are the worst of the worst copies, most of which have no cover at all.