BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

piltrafus
Dragon

Re: BladeOfLight_ENB Mod

Postby piltrafus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:52 am

Hi bumfightkriminal,
I also got back to this game trying to fill the void left after finishing twice dark souls. Now I find dark souls a bit too slow compared with Blade. :) Hope you are enjoying it. Controls take a bit of adaptation but then it pays off.

The first issue I see is your geforce gt 545 card. THe x45 version of any geforce generation is a middle to low performance card. So a 460 may be faster that even a 745 for all I know. I usually find the x60s de best deals regarding bang for the buck. But anyway, it is what it is, and there are some things that can be done to improve speed. However, don't expect completely smooth gameplay at constant fps. The speed is heavily influenced by lighting in this game so the more light sources on screen the lower the performance. Some areas are known to be a bit slow.

OK, lets see if we can get you a better performance. You can try all of this or just try one by one and see what's enough.

--Resolution. With your card you shouldn't be playing at higher res than 1280x720.

--edit this on enbeffectprepass.fx
change
#define DEPTH_OF_FIELD_QULITY 1 to 0
You'll get less defocus and no bokeh but it will be faster.

--rename the file effect.txt to effect.txt.bak. It will disable texture processing and sharpening

--in the file enbeffect.fx set
#define FILMICPASS 1 to 0
you will lose color correction and the some highlights may be too intense. Fog levels may look off too. Only recommended if nothing else works.

--in enbseries.ini you can edit a few things too.

-EnableAdaptation=true // set it to false. you'll loose the intensity variation effect

-UseIndirectLighting=true // set it to false.

Give it a go and let me know if it works.

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:55 am

This is amazing. I'm glad people take up such projects on old games such as BOD. Great job mate, awesome. It really breathes life into this old thing. In some pics it looks like Wither 2 lol. Gonna try it ASAP.

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:13 am

I've tried the mod and it is a godsend to us fans. It looks amazing, especially in dark areas. The contrast idea is really good and fits the atmosphere of BOD perfectly. Although DOF is a bit much (didn't try to mess with it yet). It would also be very cool if you could somehow put on some kind of filter or something to make colors look cold, because now it looks a bit too warm for the dark gritty world of BOD. And I also noticed that this mod effects HUD making it blurry, bloomy, is there a fix for that? Anyways, fantastic work mate. You really have a talent.

BTW what hardware are you running this mod on?
I have: Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz; Nvidia GTX 285; 4 GB DDR2 800MHz.
It doesn't run too well on mine. I guess my GPU is too slow for this decade old game with this tweak :D . When I bought it, it was fastest single GPU on the market. Time flyes by :(

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:24 am

Hi Matas,
Thank you very much for the feedback and the kind words. The truth is that most of the praise goes to Boris Vorontsov (http://www.enbdev.com) for acceding to port his extraordinary ENB tool to this game.
I always played this game with a lot of contrast, even before the MOD. It fits the lighting style and mood as you say.

The DOF is problematic to many people. I like the heavy defocus. It's dynamic, it focuses right over the char head but requires the use of the camera positions to fully control it. I understand it causes eye strain to many people.
There's an easy way to turn the dynamic DOF into a static mode. It always focuses at the same spot, the character, and the far BG is defocused. IF you want to try it, replace the enbeffectprepass.fx in you bin folder with this one:
STATIC DOF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnhkfh9qhu4v6 ... prepass.fx
Let me know if it works for you. I may use it as default for future versions.

There's no fix for the Hud being affected by the DOF for now. But I recommend to use this mod to simplify the look of it.
http://blade-of-darkness.bigtruck-canad ... rermod.zip

Your card is quite powerful but a bit old. I use a geforce460M (laptop) and framerate goes from 40 to 20 fps at 1280x720. The mod is not like a fully optimized off the shelf game. Ir's all a bit hacky. A few posts above I gave a few performance tips. Have you tried them?

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:01 am

Sorry for late reply. I mostly fixed my performance issues thanks to your tweak guide and also by disabling AA in Nvidia driver settings :lol:
I also didn't edit Menu.py. Although it's a nice feature to light the sword I feel like it's cheating, if you know what I mean. IDK maybe it is designed to always be used not just eye candy.

There are a few rough edges but overal this mod is a must for any BOD fan. Thanks again mate.

BTW do you think it would be bad if I uploaded my GOG copy of BOD with mod pack on torrent website so people could download the game for free?

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:55 am

Hi,
Glad you sorted it out the performance. The AA and other driver enhancements should be always off. It's explained in the install.txt I think.
I'm not sure what you mean about cheating. The light is just a light, to see better in the dark. It doesn't modify any stats or make the game easier. (However, it's definitely harder if you don't see shit :)

And about giving away the game in a torrent...You have been nice so I'll be nice too. Don't mention anything like this here. The game is 5$ on the GOG site. There really is no justification for what you want to do when the original is so affordable. Unless you live in a country where 5$ is the month salary, It's stealing. To live is to learn and we all made mistakes. I hope you'll see it like me someday.
Every original sold is a message to developers that they can feed their children making games like this. A torrent gets in the way of that beautiful utopia where workers get paid for their jobs.
I hope you don't mind the preaching. It's not just for you. Is for any kid that ever reads this.
Enjoy the game.

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:40 pm

Yeah well I guess you are right :oops: I just thought that since RAS is defunct it wouldn't make a difference. Before BOD was on GOG maybe it would have been justifiable. And if I recall correctly piracy back in 2001 contributed to RAS going out of business. Let's hope BOD will get popular on GOG and maybe one day someone will decide to make a spiritual successor :)

It looks like the same guys made Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2. Anyone tried it? Maybe they hold the rights to BOD or is it Digital Legends Entertainment? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MercurySteam

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Rebel Act Studio is gone but CODEMASTERS, the publisher, is still there. I guess they own the distribution rights for the game.

It's true some RAS people went to Mercury Steam. They have nothing to do with Blade anymore from what I know.

Have you tried the STATIC DOF file I posted above? I'll like to know if people think it works better like this.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnhkfh9qhu4v6 ... prepass.fx

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:47 pm

New setting

EDIT: On the second thought I prefer default (non static DOF). Looks better :D
Last edited by matas55 on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zaketh
Hatchling

Postby Zaketh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 am

Hello guys, I have a problem installing this wonderful mod.
I've the gog version of severance, windows8/i5 2500k/560ti/8gbram; the game works great with r3dfx, but if I install the enb mod, as soon as i hit play the game will crash to desktop. I've noticed that if I rename the d3d9.dll file the game will start, but obviously the mod will not work.
I really don't know what the problem could be... :(

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 am

Hi Zaketh :)
http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewt ... 870#p43851
Make sure your options look like that.
Did you follow instructions? If all fails, maybe try to reinstall game again. And check your driver settings.
piltrafus should be able to sort it out for you, I'm no expert here :D
///////////////Blade of Darkness SETUP / PRE-Install/////////////////

Right click in Blade.exe and go to properties. Set compatibility with windowsNT, Disable visual themes, disable desktop composition, and Run as administrator.

Execute Blade.exe
It should show a window with the "game launcher v1.01" options.
Click "setup" and choose "r3dfx voodoo 1-2" as the renderer.
Click configure and choose the resolution (640x480 is the recomended)
Execute "nglide_config.exe". That's where you can actually set the resolution.
Make sure the game runs ok with this configuration before installing the "Blade of Light" MOD

If the game doesn't start also try to rename the file ../data/video/EnglishUS/main.mpg to main.mpg.bak

Also is recomended to disable all ghaphic enhancements like AO, AA and AF for this game from your driver options.

////////////////Install////////////////

- Unzip BLADEofLIGHT_ENB+MOD_v11.zip
- Drag the folders from the Blade of Light MOD into the game directory. It will ask overwrite some BMP's in the DATA folder. Allow to overwrite as there's a bakup copy of the original images included in the mod itself in case you want to go back.

- Open the Menu.py file inside the Scripts folder of your game and add this two lines at the bottom:

import weaponLight
weaponLight.ToggleLight()

Zaketh
Hatchling

Postby Zaketh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:37 am

Thanks matas55 for your reply. I had already followed the instruction you posted, so I'll try reinstalling bod, hoping that it will solve the problem. Maybe it's windows8's fault? Who knows. :mrgreen:

matas55
Whelp

Postby matas55 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:33 am

Are you using GOG version or the old hard copy? GOG version should work fine on Windoze8 :D
In order to use this mod you need a copy of Blade of DArkness with the official patch 1.01 applied.
You need nGlide wrapper installed http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide
(If you got the game from GOG.com it already has the patch and Nglide)

Zaketh
Hatchling

Postby Zaketh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 am

Are you using GOG version or the old hard copy? GOG version should work fine on Windoze8 :D
In order to use this mod you need a copy of Blade of DArkness with the official patch 1.01 applied.
You need nGlide wrapper installed http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide
(If you got the game from GOG.com it already has the patch and Nglide)
Yup, I've the gog version of the game, which runs fine under my w8 with nglide. The only problem I have is that installing the mod causes the game to crash to desktop.

piltrafus
Dragon

Postby piltrafus » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:01 pm

Zaketh,
are you playing with a laptop? Some posts ago somebody mentioned a problem with nvidia Optimus technology. Apparently is not compatible with ENB.

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”