Texture Editing How To

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:56 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cuthberth</i>

Hi, I recently started to try to redo the textures with bump maps.
I do in blender using a plane, the original texture and a modified copy as bump (using normal in the texture) then I do a render but not looks good in game.
there any way to make textures with bump maps on blade?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, the Blade engine only uses diffuse textures.

Cuthberth
Whelp

Postby Cuthberth » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:07 pm

I have a question NULL.bmp for example in casa.mmp have the color #e8f8f8. which is its use? ambient light???

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:55 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cuthberth</i>

I have a question NULL.bmp for example in casa.mmp have the color #e8f8f8. which is its use? ambient light???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The NULL texture is used for the skybox. It doesn't matter what colour the Null.bmp is.

cieply
Dragon

increasing texture size

Postby cieply » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:31 pm

someone can say or point example how to increase texture resolution?

I want to increase resolution of amazon textures, just like it's done with dark knight's texture in phelios mod (not alter, redo, just increase resolution and therefore quality)
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Re: Texture Editing How To

Postby prospero » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:28 am

The character bitmaps are all 256x256. These were obviously drawn on a much bigger resolution and resized. If you had the original files, which might be 1024sq or bigger, then you could compile them into a hi-res mmp. Unfortunately, the original drawings are not available.

Resizing the 256 bitmaps will not make them more detailed. You could resize them and use then as a guide to draw a hi-res version on top. Lot of work. :shock:

I've done a lot of texturing using the NeverwinterNights models which use textures in a different way. Each body part uses a separate bitmap, so they appear more detailed. But I have noticed that if you scale down say, a bitmap of 256x256 to 128x128, the appearance in the game is hardly noticeable.

cieply
Dragon

resizing textures

Postby cieply » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:38 pm

I know it is question to graphic artists/designers but I still think it is not very difficult - just to know how, after all it's just one texture
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:39 pm

Yes. What you have to consider is the amount of work v the amount of improvement. Characters have two bitmaps - front and back. The wounded versions are merely the same but with blood. That is, except Zoe who has a separate, slightly higher-res face bitmap. Upscaling to 512x512 will make very little difference. Even 1024x1024 will not be very noticable. So say you went to 2048sq.
You have to work at single pixel level in some areas. 400,000+ pixels. :roll:

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but all-in-all it's a largely futile exercise. :?

cieply
Dragon

Re: Texture resize

Postby cieply » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:14 pm

futile or not, when i'm able to count single pixels on screen it irritates me a bit so I'm going to do something with that
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 pm

so I did one attempt to amazon skin and did it in gimp
result is better but relatively not good enough to notice a big difference, except hair which are not pixelised now which is fine - much better than before

so ok - you guys were right, difference is not that big, but still noticable if you pay attention
ok, pity, but good lesson
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

lava texture changed but lost bubble/gurgle effect

Postby cieply » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:37 pm

I played with lava textures and changed it to higher resolution
I'm pleased with result to the extent

problem is lava become "solid" and lost this gurgle/bubble effect
especially with 24 bit textures
when converted to 8bpp it works but not always, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - it's confusing and irritating, don't know what causes the problem and how to fix it
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Sryml
Dragon

Re: lava texture changed but lost bubble/gurgle effect

Postby Sryml » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:28 pm

I played with lava textures and changed it to higher resolution
I'm pleased with result to the extent

problem is lava become "solid" and lost this gurgle/bubble effect
especially with 24 bit textures
when converted to 8bpp it works but not always, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't - it's confusing and irritating, don't know what causes the problem and how to fix it
Hey! You can try to use Bladex.SetAutoGenTexture in the console.

Code: Select all

Bladex.SetAutoGenTexture("cala2",0)
This code function is to produce bubble effect of texture. The "cala2" is texture name, you can change it to other textures. :)

BTW, in the AutoGenTextures.py you can see two lines of code.
Anything is possible!

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:27 pm

Lava is funny stuff. I have sometimes put it in maps and it just refuses to bubble. Nothing wrong with the code. :?

Sryml
Dragon

Postby Sryml » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 pm

Lava is funny stuff. I have sometimes put it in maps and it just refuses to bubble. Nothing wrong with the code. :?
Yes, I often see the same case.
But I see the file Cfg.py in the map folder.
*.lvl is loaded before BladeInit.py, that is to say the game is loaded first .mmp, then execute AutoGenTextures.py.
It seems there are no wrong. :?

Maybe this is a problem of time, if add a scheduled function in DefFuncs.py:

Code: Select all

def AutoGenTextures(): execfile("../../Scripts/AutoGenTextures.py") Bladex.AddScheduledFunc(Bladex.GetTime()+0.01, AutoGenTextures, ())
I think it will be effective. :mrgreen:
Anything is possible!

cieply
Dragon

Re: lava... <code>

Postby cieply » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:26 pm

I have been busy for some time and it's going to last for some time yet, but nevertheless I've checked SetAutoGenTexture() and it works fabulous.
it's funny looking when floor bubbles

if my new lava won't work again I will put it in Cfg.py and it should solve it for good

thanks

ed:
this game is capricious like a girl...
Just tried it in Tower_M16 and the green/slime lava ('lava') works fine without any additional motivators like SetAutoGenTexture() but all red lava ('cala2') is still. Even when I try with other textures they don't respond.
Looks like there is no good way to solve it.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

Blade_progress overlay image

Postby cieply » Thu May 24, 2018 5:05 pm

I noticed that lot of progress images (``Blade_progress.jpg'') are poorly cat/cropped and image that supposed to be in frame window is on it and not properly aligned. So to help those who are not "graphically minded" and care more about coding and stuff I have little help: overlay png image that does that for you. All you have to do is to prepare your graphics designed to be progress image and impose the frame image on yours. It can be done in any soft using layers like gimp/paintshop/whatever - just put the frame as a layer on top of yours or in command line with nconvert that is command line image converter/manipulator and very useful tool. To make it simple add it to your path or edit this batch:
:: overlay two images using nconvert

set LAYER0="Blade_progress.jpg~"
set LAYER1="Blade_progress_frame_x2_shift-1,1_mask_x640x480_crop_33,34,732,484.png"

set OUT_FORMAT=-out jpeg -q 80

set OUTPUT="Blade_progress-1.jpeg"

nconvert -wmfile %LAYER1% -wmpos 0 0 %OUT_FORMAT% -o %OUTPUT% %LAYER0%
LAYER1 is overlay image and those magic numbers mean resolution and coordinates of frame window if you were curious.
Attachments
overlay2img-nconv-1.bat.gz
batch for those who want to use it (it's gzippped as .bat extension is not allowed to be attached)
(228 Bytes) Downloaded 48 times
Blade_progress_frame_x2_shift-1,1_mask_x640x480_crop_33,34,732,484.png
overlay progress frame image
Blade_progress_frame_x2_shift-1,1_mask_x640x480_crop_33,34,732,484.png (234.29 KiB) Viewed 966 times
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”