image uploading policy on the forum

Discuss things related to this website and ask questions about the forum. New members can introduce themselves here too. Announcements will also be posted here. Note topics are auto pruned if not viewed within 30 days.
cieply
Dragon

image uploading policy on the forum

Post by cieply »

Hey,
I used to include some pictures in posts but my photobucket had been "downgraded" (they don't allow free "hosting" any more). Because I had chosen them in a past for being reliable in comparison to other image sharing sites I had put quite a few images there. Now it's question of the past again and there still is the question of what to do with these images. Can they be uploaded to the forum? I know some people do that but I wanted to ask before. Although the images are rather small - I specially optimised them, and they are used only for forum purposes it's still a data to be kept so how your policy regarding that looks like?
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: image uploading policy on the forum

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi yes you can upload images to the site on the attachments tab. File sizes are limited to 1mb and images can be no more than 1280x1024 otherwise they will be displayed as a text link instead. I have a 1TB per month bandwidth allowance on the server's internet connection and we hit nowhere near 10% of that. Disk space is only 5Gb though with 500Mb allocated to the forum attachments hence the file size limits and it will also keep page load times to a minimum. As always I am not responsible for any lost data due to server failure, accidental deletion etc so I will suggest that users don't upload anything they do not have a backup of.

I would prefer it if users could upload images to their own webspace and / or shared cloud storage and link to it if possible.

You would be surprised how much this site takes up; there's the databases, backups, temp directories, system logs as well as the web pages themselves; at the moment we are at nearly 3Gb of usage.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

cieply
Dragon

Re: image uploading policy on the forum

Post by cieply »

I guess. I know how big databases can be.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...