In need of the REHTool

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
mage150
Dragon

In need of the REHTool

Post by mage150 »

I am looking to find a copy of the REHTool used to merge REO models to the existing Rynn REC. If anyone has a copy of this please let me know where I can download it from. This tool was used to make the D'Rynn mod for Drakan.
Moderator Of Arokh's Lair.

UCyborg
Dragon

Re: In need of the REHTool

Post by UCyborg »

"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

That site was full of viruses so be aware of that if downloading anything.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

If we just blindly believe anti-virus software, which is malware itself due to deleting useful files, then we can conclude dgVoodoo is also a virus, my Drakan patch is a virus, NirSofer's utilities are a virus, a cool christmas tree app I have from years ago is a virus etc. I could also write an anti-virus program that would flag everything as a virus.

According to VirusTotal, some anti-virus software thinks even this image is a virus. LOL!
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah AV can detect a few false positives but the owner of that site, Andrey said the server got lots of malware on it and gets hacked but there's not much he can do about it due to issues with his host. But that was a few months ago; it may have been cleared up. My AV flags still flags it as a malicious site.

As for your files, the AV running on this very webserver (Norton enterprise AV for CentOS) does not flag them as a virus, neither does MS antivirus but Bullguard does. Not tried any others.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I did download a couple of files from there some time back and at least those that are still relevant appear to be in intact state. That said, data files can't do any harm by themselves as they can't be double clicked and executed. And this type is the most interesting - the level files.

There are some random executable utilities and some old patch utilities for Drakan, which I believe majority of people won't be downloading. Putting REHTool's source code on GitHub and providing binaries there is an option. It could be more attractive to download it from there.

Can VirusTotal scan files that can be accessed from FTProot? Because only some things from the other parts of the server were scanned and flagged. There seem to be some files reported that happen to reference drakan.ru domain, but might not be on the site itself or even harmful.

The server definitely needs some spring cleaning though. Organization is lacking in certain folders. I find single player Trainings level to be quite fun for mindless monster killing, but it was hidden in a random folder with unrelated files.

Despite what I said, it's true that you can never be too careful. False positives are quite a real problem though. I tend to use virtual machine for trying things out. Would take some very sophisticated hackery to break out of there.

The biggest issue is when a trusted source get compromised and you may download and execute supposedly trusted EXE without a second thought. There was also an outcry with Sourceforge bundling some spyware with installers or something like that. Or what about the recent concerns about some games bundling RedShell.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I'm not sure about Virustotal but putting some of the files on Github is a good idea as people are more likely to download from there and generally it's a trusted site.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Published REHTool binaries and code on GitHub.

putting some of the files on Github is a good idea as people are more likely to download from there and generally it's a trusted site

Incidents still happen.