About Aergoth Singleplayer Maps

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
fkuhn4
Hatchling

About Aergoth Singleplayer Maps

Post by fkuhn4 »

Hallo

Can i write here in Germany language because i can german better or english

i make it in english.

The Second Level from Aergoth I am on end the of a small bridge of wood.

there ar a gate as metal how can i open that when there going continue the

way from this game ? thanks from this Information.

Kind Regards Franz Kuhn

Mechanist
Dragon

Re: About Aergoth Singleplayer Maps

Post by Mechanist »

Hi Franz, welcome to the forum :)

We do have a few other German-speaking users here, but it's probably best if you use English instead - that way you're most likely to actually get some help.

Unfortunately I'm not closely familiar with the level in question: I've tried taking a quick look at it in the Level Editor, but was unable to find any area which would closely match your description.
Although I have found one area which partially matches your description - it does have a wooden suspension bridge with a metal gate immediately behind it - but that particular gate will never open.

It would help a lot if you could provide the XYZ coordinates of the location in question.
You can have Drakan display Rynn's current XYZ coordinates (in the upper right corner of the screen) by using the "Engine-Daten an/aus" key.
(you might also need to assign a key to that function first, in the Options menu, as it has no key assigned to it by default)

If that does not work for any reason, then perhaps you could at least describe that location in more detail. Roughly how far from the start of the level, any notable landmarks in the area before the bridge in question, etc.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi Franz, welcome to the forum. Aergoth is unfinished - only the first map and part of the second has been completed. Unfortunately the guy who made it never got the time to finish it. I think that gate is as far as you can go.

There's two more great level series - The Breaking of the World & Azenera but not completed. It takes a lot of time to make a quality level series and all of the really good ones took so long to make interest in the game waned and / or personal circumstances stopped work continuing. Shame though because Aergoth is definitely on par if not better than the original game maps.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

Arokhs Twin wrote:There's two more great level series
As well as a whole bunch of other fanmade singleplayer maps included in the Drakan Community Patch; of those, all are of at least "fairly decent" quality overall.
Their quality does vary quite widely of course, but generally those have few - if any - glaring flaws.

Generally speaking, the remaining singleplayer maps in existence (those NOT included in the Community Patch) failed to meet the standards of what constitutes acceptable quality, and aren't really worth bothering with.

Arokhs Twin wrote: It takes a lot of time to make a quality level series
I think that's a masterpiece of understatement, right there.
Making a good/great singleplayer map, of a size and complexity typical of most singleplayer maps, requires on the order of a few hundred to possibly over a thousand hours of work.

And that's with the modern version of the Level Editor... if you consider only the version that had been available back when those maps have been made, then you should at least double that number.
For map series, multiply that by the number of maps in the series.

Arokhs Twin wrote:all of the really good ones took so long to make
Again, I imagine it was in no small part due to the long-standing brokenness of the Level Editor.
Even today, after all the improvements that have been made to the editing tools, map-making is still a rather daunting task.

Hats off to all the people who made those good maps despite being stuck with the broken, clunky tools that had been the only map editing tools available back then...