Things cut from the game

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Things cut from the game

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It would be interesting to find out what things were cut from the game prior to release due to time constraints or bugs. For example there was to be a large part of a underwater cavern in which Arokh could swim through but it was cut due to too many bugs.
Another is the game was going to have books which the player could read adding more depth to the game world and story. This was cut simply because they didn't have time to finish them.

One thing I noticed is in a lot of early screenshots there is a large city called Achen which looks a lot like Surdana, does this appear later in the game or was that cut as well? I haven't found it yet but I was looking forward to getting to that part.

Any more anyone?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Here is a screenshot of the city I mean Image

Rynn
Hatchling

Post by Rynn »

Aww that sucks that that was cut, looks like a cool city. I dont know anymore than the ones you mentioned.

LightBlade
Whelp

Post by LightBlade »

They cut out reading books? That sucks..

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

What did you expect from S. ...[?]

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The books would have been cool. I'm sure if Surreal had asked (if they were allowed to) someone in the community would have volunteered. I would have helped them out if I could.

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

they were also going to make it so you could select what character you wanted to play before you started the game other than Arokh and Rynn there was a male dragon rider and his dragon and there was some sort of sorceress woman that rode something like a gryphon don't ask me why they took these out I don't know

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

As far as I know, Rynn had two alternative mounts; a rhino and a gryphon in the original design but they were removed because Drakan is, after all, a Dragon riding game and Arokh is Rynn's soulmate.
I didn't know they planned to introduce other playable characters though, maybe they were cut for the same reasons?

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

I don't know but I still think it would have been cool if they had left them in

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I don't agree, Drakan would not be the same without Arokh but it would be nice to have an alternative playable Dragon / Human character in a possible sequel. It would be even better if each Dragon and Human pair had different missions so you could play the game again from a different perspective.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

I think it would have been nice to let the player choose from different characters. Different skilled and talented characters with dragons with different abilities would have made the game more enjoyable for the re-playing. Also, there could have been different stories - since Arokh and another hero's dragon is not the same. The pickable characters could even meet (as player-NPC meeting, of course), which could have also been a good point - seeing the two different look of things when playing the two different person.

Taking out books is perhaps a bad, perhaps a good idea. Bad if they were short and good read - bad f they were lke the books in Alone in the Dark 1 (from 60 minutes you spend with the game you spend 45 with reading books O_O)

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

yeah I think the game would have been a lot better if they had left it with player selection instead of just playing the game the same way over and over you could play it as three different characters and have different endings instead of just you beat Jassad yay yay everybodys happy the end they could put in different bosses for each character at the end and make the game more interesting

Snotmaw
Dragon

Post by Snotmaw »

That sucks because that looks like a cool city.

Lady Myschala
Dragon

Post by Lady Myschala »

I think it's better they left the city out I like drakan the way it is with variety in the different cities this one looks nice but I think it's to similar to surdana in my opinion it's better with just the one main city

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I found out that that city called Aachen is actually an early version of Surdana and it was probably reduced in size so it would fit onto the PS2. Otherwise there may have been frame rate problems etc. They also changed the name from Aachen to Surdana as Aachen is a city in Germany.

I disagree with you there though; more places to vist would have been nice but if they really just wanted to have one city, they could have made it bigger than it is.