Where can I find Drakan: OOTF?

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Omenus
Hatchling

Where can I find Drakan: OOTF?

Post by Omenus »

And will it run on XP? I tried the demo of the game when it first came out in 99, and really enjoyed it, but life interfered (stupid life) and I never purchased and played it. I was looking for Blade of Darkness information and ran across this site... love to play Drakan this time around!

Is ebay the only option?

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

I have heard that XP can be run in a win98 mode. This solves many conflicts, but for multiplayer, the firewall also needs to be shut off.

Hmm, the game I think is around on someones website.[8D]

Omenus
Hatchling

Post by Omenus »

Heh, that figures. Just put a bid on the boxed game on ebay. That's OK, I notice the drakancd.exe download is 375MB, not going to happen on my 28K connection.

Anyplace else that might sell it? Has anyone been able to run it on XP? I could always dual boot, but...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yes, Ebay is the best place to look as its virtually impossible to find in shops and online games retailers. There are two copies available in the UK when I looked the other day.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Hiya, Omenus... Drakan runs just fine on XP on the system I'm using. You'll have the BEST TIME!! I had a friend with a hot connection download it from Axe's site. A few munutes-BAM, DRAKAN. Be certain to kick around and find the player created levels at the same time. You'll also need to grab the 445 patch and the Sky Common patch to help you run the PCLs. They're definitely worth the time! Oh, and WELCOME to the forums.

sonu
Whelp

Post by sonu »

Omenus> well when i first installed it gave me a bit of problem but now it tuns as smooth as on 98.Also in XP u have the option to shutdown programa if they freeze.Works fine on XP without the use of copatibality mode.

darkwraith007
Hatchling

Post by darkwraith007 »

I hate you idiots...WHY would you bother pirating this game when its available for cheap on ebay?

I BOUGHT the game off of ebay, and I'm happy I did. It may not be supporting the developers anymore, but at least its better then pirating it.

I *WAS* going to put up a fix/patch that I made MYSELF on this forum for fixing almost all the problems with running Drakan in WinXP, but I have decided not to do so. Have fun with messed up multiplayer, you lame-arse pirating nOObs.

Later.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

I gather he does not live in India, or Greece, or should I list the many locations of some people who do play this game, and are not so fortunate as to be able to use E-bay etc.

As far as him making a patch to fix it running under XP, I had heard it runs fine, same with 98 and many other operating systems. Anyhow, I would trust a patch made from Andre, but not from someone we have no idea about!

Oh, I hate idiots who spout out about things before, understanding the big picture. Oh, buddy! when your cd craps out, from a scratch and you want another copy dont download it from my site, TY! Oh, how about the multiplayer folder with all the 400 levels. Install them yourself, enjoy the work.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by darkwraith007</i>

I hate you idiots...WHY would you bother pirating this game when its available for cheap on ebay?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Ah, thanks for your warm feelings. BTW - so I will have to get a bankcard which is internationally accepted just for this. Oh, how cool. (Don't even have a bankcard btw.)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by darkwraith007</i>

I BOUGHT the game off of ebay, and I'm happy I did. It may not be supporting the developers anymore, but at least its better then pirating it.
Yeah, I myself should support a company which abandoned my game and ripped it off from the only gaming base I use (which is PC). Thanks, no.

I *WAS* going to put up a fix/patch that I made MYSELF on this forum for fixing almost all the problems with running Drakan in WinXP, but I have decided not to do so. Have fun with messed up multiplayer, you lame-arse pirating nOObs.
You little LIEING arse. Not even you flame us but think we are complete idiots.

1. Multiplayer with XP: you can't correct that. If by chance you DID change the binary code of the game (which I doubt) you would break compactibility with the users who don't have the change applied, and so with all the servers. Other multiplayer issues: same goes to them. You'd have to break compactibility to achieve what people need, but I honestly doubt you would have the skill needed to reverse engineer the whole game code and issue the problems.
2. Other issues with XP: so far all of these could be countered with careful settings and a patch I put up and Planetdrakan already.

So... what did you say? Don't think we are stupid as you are.

Later.
You flame at me, lie to me and expect me to make a happy face for it? Do me a favor. Never come back. (I DID buy the game 2-3 years ago btw.)

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Geez guys, can't we get along? [:)] I bought the game a month after it was released in 1999 like most of the regular forum members but, however, the game was not very popular and soon disappeared from stores. It never got a budget release either which didn't help matters in its popularity.

I'm not taking sides here, but personally I don't agree with piracy however we all know that it goes on and sometimes it is the only way to get an old, out of production, unsupported game like Drakan. Axe has certainly made it a lot easier for newbies as you don't have to download all the levels saving time and money but there is the question of its legality <ahem>. I'm not suggesting anything and I don't encourage anyone to pirate the game but what you do is up to you. I doubt Surreal would care either. Personally I don't copy games, I buy all mine from games shops and then sell them on ebay when I have done with them unless of course I wish to keep them.

I will normally remove topics encouraging piracy but this one will stay for arguments sake. I don't really care but I'd like to point out obtaining the game legally is possible via ebay and you don't need a credit card to buy items from the ebay system. A cheque will do just fine and if you are under 18, I'm sure your parents would buy it for you.

If anyone asks me where I can get the game from, I will always point them in the direction of ebay.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

I was asked for credit card all the two times I wanted to get something. And that was the point when I got fed up and left... [}:)]

Oh - and I wonder if you ever heard of the gametpye "abandonware".

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I have heard of abandonware, yes but Drakan isn't yet officially abandonware. It should be, but that's an entireley different story...

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

No more flaming?
Darn... I was hoping for some blood... oh well.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Whats the goin rate on E-Bay for the game? $5.00 X 50 times its been downloaded. Its not worth the amount of money to sue me for the game. The principle "Yes", and I would agree with pirating software, ie: new movies etc. This they could sue me for a greater amount, but sadly it may take them awhile to collect. Unless they wana put me in jail, I would gladly sit there and not have to pay out all that I do, hehe But would I have my pc in jail?