Patch 445 doesn't work - WIN7

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
BlaideBlack
Hatchling

Patch 445 doesn't work - WIN7

Post by BlaideBlack »

Hey Guys!

I've been a long term fan of Drakan, ever since I was a child. However, since I got a new computer, the game doesn't work as intented anymore. I've the infamous "crash after difficulty selection" Bug. I used to go around by that, by using a savefile from my old times playing this game, but I would like to play this from the beginning to the end without crashes and bugs.

I've installed the Patch 445, because it seemed promising, however, it didn't do anything. I'm not even sure it was properly installed. Whenever I try to install a different version of that patch, all it tells me is that it can't be installed because either my installation is corrupted or the language is wrong (I have the german version, though I did make sure to install the german patch for this)

Does anyone know how I can fix this and work me through a step by step? I know this topic is been created so many times, but anything I followed from other threads simply didn't work for me.

Thank you in advance!

UCyborg
Dragon

Re: Patch 445 doesn't work - WIN7

Post by UCyborg »

Patch 445 is the last patch made by the developers of the game. You did right by installing it, but many issues remain unresolved with that version (including the difficulty selection crash). If you installed German version of 445 patch and it went through and you see the numbers 375/445 in the lower-left corner of the main menu, then you can be pretty sure the game was installed and patched correctly. At least assuming the files were correctly copied from CD, I don't know whether the installer verifies integrity of the files.

Now, you just need to install unofficial AiO Patch, found here. It doesn't come with the installer, you just open the file where you'll find folder named Drakan. You need to copy the content of Drakan folder inside the file into Drakan folder on your own PC where you have installed the game and overwrite the original files. If you haven't changed anything during installation and you have 64-bit variant of Windows 7, Drakan should be installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Psygnosis\Drakan".

BTW, the game patched with AiO Patch will store the savefiles in your Documents folder, inside My Games\Drakan. Also, when you start the game, it's a good idea to open the Options menu, click Graphics and turn off Lens Flare Effects. This setting may cause crashes or graphical artifacts with certain graphics cards and so far, we haven't found a solution that works 100% as it should.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

BlaideBlack
Hatchling

Post by BlaideBlack »

That actually seemed to have helped. I did have the numers in the lower left Corner, I was mostly confused by the error messages I got before that. I've unpacked the files and it seems to work at least partially, it still crashed after selecting a difficulty, but at least I could open up the first level with the cutscene now, sadly just without selecting a diffiulty, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. So thank you a lot, that really helped! :)

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I was mostly confused by the error messages I got before that.
The one you get complaining about mismatching language if you try to install 445 patch of a different language then your game is normal. You didn't get any errors with the german 445 patch, did you?
I've unpacked the files and it seems to work at least partially, it still crashed after selecting a difficulty, but at least I could open up the first level with the cutscene now, sadly just without selecting a diffiulty, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
This is strange. What happens if you pause the game with ESC key during gameplay to open the menu? Do you get normal background showing last screen from the game when you've paused or is it pitch black?

Every once in a while, someone will post about some strange issue. Unfortunately, diagnosing these things over the forum can be impossible. Unless the person is dealing with the exact same issue that has occurred in the past for other people for the exact same reason.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

BlaideBlack
Hatchling

Post by BlaideBlack »

Sorry this response is late!
I didn't get the error with the first installation, but with the second it happend. Not sure why.

And when I press escape I get the normal Menu opening up. Other than a couple of crashes when trying to quicksave it's been working really smoothly though! The only noticible issue I have, is that I can't record it with OBS properly, but that's alright.
Thank you again for your help!

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

And when I press escape I get the normal Menu opening up.
I asked because the common bug that has been brought up here many times that causes the crash after selecting difficulty also results in black menu background when you pause the game:
While this is the correct behavior:
The only noticible issue I have, is that I can't record it with OBS properly, but that's alright.
dgVoodoo2 could help with that. See if throwing DDraw.dll and D3DImm.dll from MS folder to your Drakan folder makes a difference. If it does, you can disable the watermark using config utility (dgvoodooCpl.exe).