game freezes when I quit

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
megaman951
Whelp

game freezes when I quit

Post by megaman951 »

I just installed the new community patch 153.01 and played the game for a while to test it out. Everything works as it should except that when I exit the game it just feezes there right after I click the YES button. I have to kill the game through the task manager. and when I do, then the game quits on it's own :?

I'm using Windows 10 btw

Mechanist
Dragon

Re: game freezes when I quit

Post by Mechanist »

Ahh yes, the old "crashing on exit in Win10" bug.

It's a problem exclusive to Win10, apparently. There's no known fix - but a workaround might help:

Open (your Documents folder)\My Games\Drakan\Arokh.ini

Change the line which says:

Code: Select all

BorderlessWindowHooks=0
to

Code: Select all

BorderlessWindowHooks=1

Save the changes.

Then open Riot Engine Options (use the Start Menu shortcut, or just hold SHIFT while launching Drakan) and select "Windowed mode".
Make sure that the resolution selected is the same as your monitor's native resolution (usually that's the highest one listed).

This launches Drakan in a "fake window" which looks exactly like fullscreen mode... some users have reported that this stops the crashing on exit.
In any case, since it's Win10, YMMV.

megaman951
Whelp

Post by megaman951 »

I assume "BorderlessWindowHooks" is to remove the game window white borders ? because it is not working for me, but the game exits properly now.....oh well

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

Yes, it should make the window border not visible.

BUT it will only work as intended if your game resolution is the same as the desktop resolution!

If it's set up properly, the result is visually indistinguishable from running in fullscreen...

BTW, you can also try enabling XP compatibility mode for Drakan... see if that helps. Probably not, but it's worth a try anyway.

Finally... if you aren't using dgVoodoo2, you probably should - it helps with various graphical compatibility issues.
You can activate (or deactivate, if needed) dgVoodoo2 by installing the Community Patch again, and selecting the appropriate installation type.
Another option is to use the dgVoodoo2 control panel - the shortcut is in the Start Menu.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

megaman951 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:01 pm I just installed the new community patch 153.01 and played the game for a while to test it out. Everything works as it should except that when I exit the game it just feezes there right after I click the YES button. I have to kill the game through the task manager. and when I do, then the game quits on it's own :?

I'm using Windows 10 btw
Mine does the same thing. Yeah issue with Windows 10, tried the workarounds but I've just got used to it. Also task switching does not work.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

megaman951
Whelp

Post by megaman951 »

ha! I just figured out that my antivirus really doesn't like DGVoodoo, and kept deleting some of the files when I was installing the community patch.
:evil:

I've reinstalled the community patch properly this time and now the game exits properly when I quit but now the game text is now all messed up with a bunch of small vertical lines and dots inbetween the letters

and how do you disable DGVoodoo?

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

megaman951 wrote: ha! I just figured out that my antivirus really doesn't like DGVoodoo
They also generally don't like Drakan.exe, either...

megaman951 wrote: the game text is now all messed up with a bunch of small vertical lines and dots inbetween the letters
Open Riot Engine Options and toggle the "Fix Texture Coordinates" setting - on most machines it needs to be checked, but there are some odd cases where it should be unchecked instead.

What you've just described there is the usual symptom of that setting being the opposite of what it should be...

To disable dgVoodoo, open its control panel, click the "DirectX" tab, and check the box that says "Disable and passthru to real DirectX".
But I'd advise you to first try the above step... it's not a good idea to disable dgVoodoo2 unless it's absolutely required.

megaman951
Whelp

Post by megaman951 »

enabling "fix textures coordinates" did the trick, now the text is back to normal. Now the game should be fine

thank you for your help :)

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Seems there are multiple factors involved. Appears to only happen with certain drivers (personally seen it only with NVIDIA's drivers) and certain games dependent on DirectDraw. Pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL makes it go forward. It doesn't freeze on my end if I enable Fast Sync for Drakan.

Otherwise, it gets stuck in the deepness of D3DKMTDestroyAllocation2 function until CTRL + ALT + DEL is pressed. DDrawCompat wrapper can also get around the problem, though this one may not be the most suitable for running Drakan. Of course, there's always dgVoodoo, as already mentioned in previous posts.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe