Finding, Installing, and playing Drakan.

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
SpottedHyena
Hatchling

Finding, Installing, and playing Drakan.

Post by SpottedHyena »

So I've been having a nostalgia kick lately, and after beating Baldur's Gate, I decided to try and find a new old game to play. I happened upon Drakan.

The trouble is, I've been on this site for a couple of hours and have downloaded the game from Myabandonware.net. 704mb but only comes with two files, and after reading about the several patches and not knowing to much about how to install them (not a big computer techie, here) I'm appealing to the community for help.

I've deleted all traces of any Drakan downloads to my computer, and I want to start anew. I'd like a step by step sequence from initial download, and where to download it from, to the installation process and how I can get it to work on my Windows 10 PC.
If needed, I can buy the game on a hard CD copy from Amazon, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Finding, Installing, and playing Drakan.

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Hi there you could join our discord group https://discord.gg/nCMrU4p for help installing it but if you don't want to I'll list the basic step by step instructions below.

First of all you will need the original game CD. If you have downloaded it from my abandonware it will likely be a CD image if it's 704Mb so you will need to burn it to a CD. As you are using Windows 10 you don't need any additional software; just right click on the iso file and select burn to CD. If you don't have a CD writer then you can mount the .iso image as a virtual drive. Luckily Windows 10 supports this too. Just select the mount option instead of burn to CD. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-moun ... windows-10

Once this is written / mounted as a virtual drive you should be able to install from it. You will need to do the full install (single player and multi player portion) do not install mplayer or if it gets installed automatically uninstall it afterwards.

Now that Drakan is installed do not run it yet as it won't work. Download the community patch installer from https://www.arokhslair.net/wp/downloads/ and run it following the on screen instructions. If the installer detects that you are running a genuine copy of Drakan it will patch the game otherwise it will quit and say that Drakan was not found. The DGvoodoo option is not required but if you are using onboard intel graphics you will likely need to select that option as they don't gave good frame rates or have graphical glitches. If you have any modern AMD or Nvidia discrete graphics it should work just fine without DGvoodoo. Once the installer has finished, run the game as normal. It should work.

There's also the support page on this site https://www.arokhslair.net/wp/order-of- ... -and-help/

Hope this helps.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

SpottedHyena
Hatchling

Post by SpottedHyena »

I'll order the hard copy then! I can add it to my collection of ye olde timey games, I have the original Baldurs Gate 6 disk set, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights, Pool of Radiance, Diablo for PS1, D2, D3 and so forth. I've never played Drakan. I'll keep this page and this information saved so I can, though!

SpottedHyena
Hatchling

Post by SpottedHyena »

It works! Thank you guys so much for your help. I'm amazed actually, that there is a forum for this game that is still tended to. It really helps.