Multiplayer BOD mod in a new engine.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Thanks man, today i added more stuff, also found the candlefire material that made the chandelier much better looking, i just would love to have a better torch lighting system, something like the DarkMod torchs the one i have looks fake. Btw For the kicks added some enemie AI in the map (needed to use the monster clip brushs to optimize the AI pathfinding), with them in, is a totally different feel walking on it. :D

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

I will have a go at making a torch 'entity' with the BoD fire particles and sound, and a flickering light when I have the BoD objects in .lwo format (Harrison is working on a program to convert models).

You can easily make the barrels into 'physics' objects by adding an entity definition. There is even a specific idBarrel spawnclass to make objects behave like barrels.

First, you select any barrel in your map.
Then, in the doomedit toolbar, click on Selection->Export->To CM
browse to the folder where the .lwo is (models/maps/temple/mapobj), click on pipo.lwo and save.

That will create a pipo.cm (collision model) for the physics engine to use.

Next, make a 'def' folder in your mod folder and create a text file called templebod.def (or anything.def)
Put this code in your def file:

Code: Select all

entityDef moveable_item_<font color="green">templebodbarrel</font id="green"> {
	"inherit"		"moveable_base"
	"spawnclass"		"idBarrel"
	"editor_color"		"1 .5 0"
	"editor_mins"		"-8 -8 -8"
	"editor_maxs"		"8 8 8"
	"model"			"models/maps/temple/mapobj/pipo.lwo"	
	"density"		"0.05"
	"friction"		"0.2"
	"bouncyness"		"0.1"
	"snd_bounce"		"barrel_impact"
	"nonsolid"		"0"
}
Now the barrel will show up in the doomedit 'entity' list. Right-click on the map, and under 'moveable' you should see <font color="green">moveable_item_templebodbarrel</font id="green">

scriptobjects can be added later to make them breakable with dust, etc.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Will do thanks for the info. :)

edit: One video of me killing some monsters on my map. [:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-81gQMbp4as

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Argoon, your video is 'private'

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Sorry about that i thought that by putting the link here you guys would be able to see it, btw i put it has private because i just want to show it to you guys, i will take care of that now sorry again.

Ok is done I used the wrong option instead of private i should have used not listed.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

I tried making a torch flame using the BoD fire particle, but it doesn't really suit the Doom particle system. It looks ok from a distance, but when you get close it looks fuzzy. idtech4 doesn't have the range of blend options that BoD has.

So, I used the stock Doom particles with Argoon's torch model and added some flicker and dancing shadow FX. It could be tweaked a bit more, but I'm happy with it so far:

http://youtu.be/1A4G31xpPOc

The video is a bit dark, best viewed at full screen.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Looks very good can i have it? ;) Also i realized by now maybe a little later that i have been making levels for a first person camera view, i'm not sure if the BOD camera that you have can work well on them.

About the blends mods are you sure idtech 4 has a limited range of blend options?
Are the ones on this wiki not enough? http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/OpenGL_Blen ... terials%29
http://www.modwiki.net/wiki/Blend_%28Ma ... keyword%29

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Thanks Argoon, I've emailed you the files for the torch.

The camera should be fine, it will adapt to walls, etc.

About the blending, I was talking about blending particles, not textures. BoD can create particles in different ways ( ADD, COPY, BLEND, MUL), but I don't see any similar options for idtech 4 particles.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Thanks for the files Sir Random and good news about the camera. :)

Hum, about the particles aren't they textured quads? If so the blend mods used on normal textures should work on them, at lest i think so but i'm no coder.

Haraldzz
Dragon

Post by Haraldzz »

Looks VERY good in my opinion! Good job there.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Thanks Haraldz, I'm glad you like it [:)]

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Sir Random i don't know if is the same to you (didn't saw that in the video) but to me the shadow of the torch moves to much imo it needs to be more subtle.

This is what it looks to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epa7oSVE ... e=youtu.be

And imo it should look more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYDZa0TP ... re=related

see how the shadows move but very slightly.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Did you notice that the torches in Thief don't cast shadows of themselves? When the guard is carrying a torch, you can see the shadow of his EMPTY hand.

Try turning off shadows in your torch material:

Code: Select all

textures\bod\metal\rusty_iron01
{
    metal
    <font color="green">noshadows</font id="green">		
    qer_editorimage  textures/objects/rusty_iron01_ed.jpg       // custom DOOMEdit material preview image

diffusemap       textures/objects/rusty_iron01_d.tga        // color and value information for the material
    specularmap      textures/objects/rusty_iron01_s.tga        // specular highlights
    bumpmap          textures/objects/rusty_iron01_local.tga    // normalmap for bumpmapped appearance

}

I was concentrating on the player and world shadows when I added the shadow movement.

Argoon
Dragon

Post by Argoon »

Yes i saw that, disabling shadows on the torch itself does make the shadows behave better on other objects, but i'm still of the opinion that the torch should cast a shadow, why, because on my old torch system the shadow that it casts looks fantastic in some places see link below, btw I don't recommend disabling the shadows on the material itself because that material is not exclusive for the torch model, you can disable shadows on individual items on the editor with noshadows 1.

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj30 ... shadow.jpgImage

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Argoon,
I do intend to add a shadow in the light material, but I've already moved on to atmospheres and magic attacks. If I tried to perfect everything as I go, I'd still be working on Barb animations.

If you want to experiment with torch shadows, you could try adding a torch shadow to the light material:
textures/lights/bodwalltorch.tga

I tried a few variations, like + and X, and I'm sure a good looking shadow can be created this way.