Different colours of truecolour vs indexed textures.

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

cieply
Dragon

Different colours of truecolour vs indexed textures.

Postby cieply » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:06 pm

I noticed that when one converts indexed/paletted (8-bit/256-colours) texture to truecolour (24-bit) it becomes darker. For example, Zoe with original (paletted) textures is blonde and when converted to truecolor she is brunette. Did someone determined how exactly it changes and how to reverse it?
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Re: Different colours of truecolour vs indexed textures.

Postby MBK_MBK » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:58 am

Greetings friend. :)

I tried to comment before, but my account was suddenly closed and I'm not sure why; :?
I guess, maybe it was the Cockies in my web browser... :roll:

I'm not sure how works the code that compiles and decompiles the images in pixels. :?:
I have also seen differences between the contrast and brightness of the textures, by decompiling and recompiling them.
In my old Photoshop CS2, I can see differences between a color that consists only of 3 channels, RGB; and the same color that consists of 4 channels, CMYK. I see in my Photoshop CS2, that the colors composed by 4 channels, CMYK, are a bit darker because they have added shades of gray or black.
Maybe the truecolour (24-bit), have 4 channels with shades of gray or black, like CMYK.

The only method I knew to correct that textures looks too dark, was to use the "Auto Contrast" option in the Photoshop CS2 program; but I had to correct all the images, one by one... :|
Loose your ghosts, because they chain suspiciously your freedom.
My Youtube channel, tests with Hyperborean Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MBEASTKING1980
Web site of Hyperborean mod:
https://sites.google.com/view/bodhyperboreanmodbymbk

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:24 pm

My question was inspired also by piece of code from mmp_dump:
truecolour[3*k] = palette[data[k]*3] << 2;
which clearly changes value (multiplies by 4 by shifting 2 bits) during conversion from paletted to treucolour.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Return to “Severance BoD: Modding Community”