Fullscreen crash on Windows 10 1909

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

MRCMRC
Whelp

Fullscreen crash on Windows 10 1909

Post by MRCMRC »

Hi,

I have BoD installed on a Windows 10 64 bits PC, and used to play it in fullscreen (rOpenGL) without issues. A couple of days ago tried to start the game, but it crashes without any message after playing the intro video. It runs fine on windowed mode.

I installed some time ago 1909 version of Windows 10. I don't know if this is the problem. Do you have BoD installed on Windows 10 1909? Can anyone help me on what can I try to solve the issue?

I've also noticed that I cannot change screen resolution (window size) with rOpenGL on windowed mode. Is there any way to do that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Nihilist_Militant
Hatchling

Re: Fullscreen crash on Windows 10 1909

Post by Nihilist_Militant »

Yes, there is way to change window size, but its very weird, and better solution is play with 3dfx raster and dgvoodoo 2 wrapper. If you want "fullscreen" window just press window key + up arrow, but if you want normal 4:3 window like 1280x960 resolution, you need change size of the window with pressing RBM and choose "change size" or smthn like that (i dont know, because my win is russian). Then how to make 1280x960, press change size, press right arrow, then hold left arrow to the minimum horizontal size, then again right arrow to 412 horizontal size (you can see size in left up corner), press enter, again change size, and hold right arrow to 1296 hor size, press enter, this is 1280 in game, now with vertical, change size, press down arrow, then hold up arrow to the minimum dead end and then hold down arrow to 998 vertical size, you must see 1296x998 window size, press enter, now you have window game with true 1280x960 resolution.

MRCMRC
Whelp

Post by MRCMRC »

Nihilist_Militant wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:00 pm
better solution is play with 3dfx raster and dgvoodoo 2 wrapper
Hi,

Thanks, I'll try that combination. Do you have any tips on how to install and configure the needed tools. And, is this compatible with DirectX 12?

Thanks again.

Nihilist_Militant
Hatchling

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html download "dgVoodoo v2.63 - for regular usage (released: 25.12.2019)", if you use GOG version, you need delete 7 files from Blade of Darkness\Bin, files: 3DfxSpl.dll, 3DfxSpl2.dll, 3DfxSpl3.dll, glide.dll, glide2x.dll, glide3x.dll and nglide_config.exe (this is nglide wrapper files, nglide is way worst then dgvoodoo). Now just drop to Blade of Darkness\Bin from archive "dgVoodooCpl.exe" and "dgVoodoo.conf' and 3 dll files from dgVoodoo2_63.zip\3Dfx\x86 (not napalm). Open dgVoodooCpl.exe, change Appearance to Windowed in General, in Glide change Onboard RAM to 12MB, Resolution 1280x960 (or what you want), disable 3dfx Watermark and enable Forse vSync. That's all.

MRCMRC
Whelp

Post by MRCMRC »

I'll try it.
Thank you very much for your help.
Regards.

MRCMRC
Whelp

Post by MRCMRC »

Hi,

I got the game working with dgVoodoo 2 wrapper, in fullscreen and in windowed mode, always in 4:3. Thanks!

Anyway, I'm getting odd colors. It's clearly noticeable on the F1 screen, where all the screen has a blueish tint. Is there any solution for that issue?

Thanks again.

Nihilist_Militant
Hatchling

If you have blue colors only in F1 menu, that's no problem, but if you have blue in main menu and even in game, there is problem and i dont know how to solve, this is random and i see it once, but blue F1 menu is normal for 3dfx.

MRCMRC
Whelp

Post by MRCMRC »

Hi,

You're absolutely right. In fact, the wrong colors are only on F1 screen.

Now, following your advices, I'm able to play the game with rOpenGL in any window size, and also I can use 3dfx or D3D (fullscreen and windowed mode) using dgVoodoo.

So, thank you very much for all your help.