Who want blade of darkness 2???!! seriously

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

nima207
Dragon

Who want blade of darkness 2???!! seriously

Postby nima207 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:14 am

I cant understand why after falling rebel act, codemasters f***ing leave blade!!!! but i hope they will do something to make blade 2. If you want to do some work please email to [email protected] and tell them do some shit about blade 2!!!![:(!]
Thanx![8D]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:46 am

Codemasters were only the distibutors for BOD. They had nothing to do with the development. Rebel Act Studios were based in Barcelona and the team who made the game have long since gone their seperate ways...

[:(]

nima207
Dragon

Postby nima207 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:26 pm

So .... why some other studios dont want to make it? or why you guys dont do that??!!!!!![:p] oh SERIOUSLY [;)]

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:49 pm

Well, myself and many others have been making mods for years - as far as the accessible parts of the code permit.
But this is a hobby. Purely amatuer.
Doing it on a commerical basis is a whole different ball-game.
For a start, the rights to the game were owned by a Spanish company called Friendware. When RAS closed it's doors there was apparently a lot of wrangling over financial matters, as there usually is in these cases. For all I know, the whole issue is still under litigation. So the game isn't up for grabs.

Then there is the small matter of getting someone to invest in the project. I'm talking megabucks. RAS had quite a big team of very talented people working on BOD for around five years. It seems that the game never sold in the quantity that justified all the hard work.

Very tough world is the video games industry. [B)]

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:16 am

1 announce development for a BOD "sequel".
2 get enough people with the right know how.
3 start a kickstarter fund raiser.
4 develop BOD 2 under a different name to avoid copyright (example's: Tukaram's Revenge, Blade of Honor, Lands of Darkness, The Return to the Abyss, and so on, i got more of them).
5 ???
6 profit

nima207
Dragon

Postby nima207 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:24 pm

very very helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:48 am

well thats what people said about Dark Souls and Demons Souls, but those games really show that theres ALOT of players out there hungry for a challange.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 am

Fynjy speaks great wisdom. I haven't bought a new game for years....

btw. You can't get around copyright by just changing the name. When MONEY comes into the equation you are on different planet.

All the LED tools are freely available. As well as a whole lot more dev software that has been added by people over the years. There is massive scope for fans to create new adventures without getting into the commercial side of the gaming industry.

So if you want BOD2 (or 3-4-5-6.....), there is nothing preventing anyone from making it.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 pm

I know I can not contribute much to this discussion, but...
I agree with Fynjy and Prospero, both are right. [:)]

As you know, friends, if we can encourage and coordinate well, maybe working together we could develop something that looks like "BOD2".

Although, who needs BOD2 when there are many news maps and mods?
The only thing I would like to change in the game are the 3D models and the textures, add more details, (so I made the pack of textures)... I would like to see BOD with the graphics and the physics of the games of now, but everything else is great as well. [:)]

Well, And the mod (by SR, Argoon, etc) using the Doom3 engine? It's great! [:o]
Anyway, with my mod I try to give to the game more versatile combat strategies, emotion and difficulty. [:p]
Sincerely, I pass to make conjectures about whether or not there might be a second part, I am content with the present that I have and with modify and improve the original BOD as I would like. [:)]

Greetings.

nima207
Dragon

Postby nima207 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:23 am

Yeah! i mean MBK is right!!! if you guys work together, you can make something you guys just need some powerful computers and hardwares.
Then with sharing you can aware about each other's work.
i think its not very hard for you guys!!! maybe need many times, but you can.[;)]
and and and i didn't see any mod and maps in this month, are you guys working?

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:45 am

Thing is.... Even making a small mod takes hours. OK, you could knock up a small map and add a few enemies in a few days, but there wouldn't be a lot of interest after you had played it.
Making a map with a bit of depth and non-linear paths takes a lot of ime and testing. It can get incedibly complex. I have one I've been playing about with for a year or two. Basically, a small town with lots of allyways. You get to play the bad guy. There is an uprising and you have to quash the rebellion. Root out the ringleaders while all the time there are hired assassins out to get you. There are civilian characters that you must avoid killing or there are reprocussions, but you can interogate them. Some are working for you as spies. Some are traitors working for the rebels. You have a whole band of guards. Some are raw recruits and some are seasoned fighters.
You also have a big dog that you can set on anyone you don't like.
the divergent scenarios are very difficult to keep track of when coding though. And I keep getting new cool ideas.
I'll finish it one day.

nima207
Dragon

Postby nima207 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:51 pm

oh so... first sorry for my wrong think, second thanks for working and troubling!!!
and a quistion, have you any guide for LED because i do everything but i can't open a map! for example i can't open oasis of nejeb in LED and can't import a character! can you help me please??? because i want to come in this work!
And Tanx.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Lots of things in LED don't work. It's an in-house piece of software and never intended for commercial release. Therefore lots of bugs and strange habits. Some of the original features have been removed but the icons are still there. There were no instructions and there is no undo feature.

There used to be a great tutorial by Slayer, without which I don't think anyone would have figured it out. Not sure if you can still d/l it and I don't think I have a copy. been though 4 computers since I started Bodding......

Maybe I'll start a sticky LED tutorial thread. [8D]

btw. You can't open .bw files in the LED. You need the original .mp file.
The .mp files were never released......officially.[;)]

You definately can't import characters.

MBK_MBK
Dragon

Postby MBK_MBK » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:08 pm

As well say Prospero, after the ideas and good intentions, then comes the moment of truth and the hard work. [B)]

The development is always more complicated than expected, for many reasons. As an example I put myself and my mod: I thought I would have finished last year, but so far, I've been two years ... [8)]

In creative works, we must have a plan, a method, a technique, some resources and above all a lot of time and patience... [|)]Because there will always be the same rule: study, implement, test, error ... study, implement, test ... until you get sick and say, "Enough, works well adequately? Then not improved more". [xx(] [:D]

Sorry, I do not want get discouraged. [:I]
Simply, I'm a normal guy, I'm not a programmer, in fact I am computer technician and designer, and it took me 8 months to read and understand the basics of the Python language ... [B)]
But with enthusiasm, patience, courage and perseverance you can get everything in life. Friend, have faith and security in yourself! [;)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Postby Sir Random » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nima207</i>

oh so... first sorry for my wrong think, second thanks for working and troubling!!!
and a quistion, have you any guide for LED because i do everything but i can't open a map! for example i can't open oasis of nejeb in LED and can't import a character! can you help me please??? because i want to come in this work!
And Tanx.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Glad to hear you're having a go at modding, LED takes a while to get used to, so don't worry when nothing seems to work at first. As pro said, LED has strange habits like you must press 'Enter' after using popup windows (clicking 'ok' won't apply your changes). Once you get used to these things, creating levels isn't too hard.
Unlike other engines, you can't add any objects, characters, doors, sounds, or particles through the editor, they must be all be scripted.

There are some useful guides here (including Slayer's "CREATING A BASIC LEVEL"):
http://blade-of-darkness.bigtruck-canad ... editor.htm

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”