favourite character

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

what is your first/primary favourite character

Amazon
14%
Barbarian
32%
Dwarf
14%
Knight
41%

Total votes: 22

cieply
Dragon

favourite character

Postby cieply » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:30 pm

for long I wanted to check that what is your favourite character
I think I know the result but it's better to test it empirically, and more scientifical L)
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Blackbeard
Dragon

Re: favourite character

Postby Blackbeard » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:01 am

if i could vote two times i would have voted both the Barbarian and the Knight. but now i picked the barb

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:48 pm

if i could vote two times i would have voted both the Barbarian and the Knight. but now i picked the barb
technically:
- if I could vote twice... I wanted to make 2 polls: for primary and secondary character in 1 post but forum let only one poll so it's for primary
- poll is set so you can change your mind, free will, life is not static
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Dericious
Whelp

Postby Dericious » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:24 am

Now thats a tough poll...

I orginally played Sargon first and I really like his backstory. He feels also the most balanced character of all four. And he fits perfectly to the image of Ianna's champions, a knight of light against darkness/evil, a chosen one etc :) I really like playing him because he can use most one handed weapons skillfully and he gets to wear best armor.

Then again Barbarian feels really authentic too. He reminds me of those Robert E Howards's Conan the barbarian novels which I really enjoyed reading when i was younger. You cannot get closer to that experience in a videogame, not even age of conan is as satisfying as playing Turakam in BoD. And his backstory is well thought too. He is the opposite of Sargon in many ways, but equally intresting. Definitely a tie between knight and barbarian. Barbarian is more bad ass, but knight is more like a classic hero...

I think these two characters got most love from Rebel Act. As for rest of two...

Imo the dwarf has a really cool Tolkienish backstory, but I don't enjoy playing him that much because he has less combos than knight or barbarian. I've finished the game once as a dwarf and it proved to be the most difficult playthrough because the dwarf has least reach and he is the slowest character of all four. That being said when you get close any enemy, Naglfar easily hacks any enemy to bloody pieces with his axe or hammer.

The amazon: well she is basicly the female version of a Barbarian who could also be one of Howard's characters. She is certainly the easiest character to play due to her speed and reach. Furthermore she is quite an archer as she can easily retreat due to her amazing speed. A very enoyable character to play, but she ain't as iconic as knight or barbarian.

So thats why I voted the knight.

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:40 pm

hey people, vote!
it's not political vote :-) , yu won't be stuck between whigs and torries
there are 145 views at the moment and only 11 votes, is it too difficult question?

there must be some "pattern" and that's what is this poll about
let's find out.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:33 pm

I don't know about favourites. All have their own weaknesses and strengths.

Most new players go for Tukaram as he looks like he eats cows for breakfast and generally a slaughterhouse with legs. But he is probably the harder than the rest to bring out his full potential. He is powerful, but slow and his moves need immaculate timing.

Nalfgar is probably the last one people try. He is little, but that makes him less of a target. He is tough though and will take a lot of damage. You need to chose his weapons carefully, although he will use Knight weapons as skilfully as his own - albeit without major combos. Like Tukaram he takes more learning.

Zoe fast and deadly. But her moves are limited compared with the others and she is carp with anything except polearms.

Sargon is an all-rounder. Very skilled and lots of moves. Zoe is faster. Nalfgar is tougher. Tukaram is bigger.

Of course Zoe has the nicest ass. :lol:

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:32 pm

I found Nagflar quite boring to play because of his lack of combos. Compared to Tukaram and Sargon, both of who have multiple hit special moves (Nothing beats south cross :P).

cieply
Dragon

south cross?

Postby cieply » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:33 am

south cross is 2 step combo, it's something I don't like personally
it's almost like Spiral of death (heavy naginata @amazon) - you have to make Whirlwind and then spiral which is totally ineffective, and you usually get hit before that or just miss because it's too late
all these contrived combos are hopeless (for me at least)

IMO the best ones are quick, like: Lightning cut (spear @amazon), Bonebreaker (war hammer @ dwarf), Dream (elf sword @ knight), Hellswing (long sword @ barbarian)

Dream is probably the best combo in the game, and certainly best Knight's combo

generally Knight is IMO the best character in the game - is very fast, quite agile (although not like Amazon but still) and has very good combos

for me barbarian is the worst and most difficult
my list is: Amazon, Knight, Dwarf, Barbarian, in this order.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Haraldzz
Dragon

Postby Haraldzz » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:16 am

Regarding Dream - you got it right, that thing is probably the best thing ever. It slices and dices so well. I remember using the elf sword for a way longer period than I should just because of the combo.

cieply
Dragon

combos

Postby cieply » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:03 pm

the only comparable (for amazon) is Way of the Goddess (demon spear), but it is the last combo, so less useful, and not as quick to pull off, although extremely spectacular, so - there are always pros and cons
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:28 pm

I did an all combos mod once. Can't find a trace of it on my HD. :cry: It allowed any Player to do any of their combos with any of their own weapons (stamina permitting). That includes Dwarf weapons for Knight and vice-versa. Also any non-combo weapons. I remember Dream combo with the Ork Sword was particularly good.

I probably have it on one of my many backup discs if I trawl though them all. :?

Has anyone got it? It was quite a simple bit of code.

cieply
Dragon

Postby cieply » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:53 pm

I did an all combos mod once. (...) Has anyone got it? It was quite a simple bit of code.
I might have it but on my desktop which is out of my reach at the moment but I will check it
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

cieply
Dragon

a little summary

Postby cieply » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:59 pm

although there were not many votes, it seems like a pattern:

- knight is the mosl liked character and that's what I actually expected
- dwarf is most disliked and it's again what I expected
- amazon is behind the barbarian which is what I didn't expect to be honest

anyway, thanks for votes
it shows which character/s should be bit more balanced (I mean especially dwarf )
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Raptor
Whelp

Postby Raptor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:47 pm

I voted for best impression and chose Sargon because he is the one I first played with. His starting level is my favorite, too, because it was sketched impeccably and had an entertaining plot line; escape a dungeon and slain your king? Let us be frank: that is better than exploring Mayan ruins or returning to your barren homelands.

Nevertheless, BoD is an imbalanced game; Zoe is the best fighter and Nalgfar the worst. I used to think that Tukaram was as bad as Nalgfar until I learned the trick to cancel attack animations; I could now perform the Great Fire Sword's most powerful combo much quicker. Sargon felt powerful with only two weapons: the Elf Sword and the Scimitar; after those, he felt average. Thus, with this ruler, Zoe and her Demon Bo would have gotten my vote.

Thordrek
Whelp

Postby Thordrek » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:55 am

My favourite is Naglfar, I always liked to play every Roleplaying game with the dwarves, and I think they did so good the character.
I also think that after Sargon, Naglfar is the most complete in the tactics defense/attack.
Zoe is so fast, but is the character I like less, and Tukaram is so cool, but too slow and it have the problem that it break the swords when protect himself, so it´s better block seldom, and try to jump when you go to be hit.
Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King has come unto his hall!

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”