An other one like Severance

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: prospero, Ade

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

There is no patch for Enclave, it sounds like what you've found is the demo [:)]

You might want the mod that unlocks several playable characters though (some characters which were always intended to be playable in the game, but which for some reason they limited to NPC's in the final version) which you can find here: http://www.theborggaming.com (go to the Enclave section).

Also you might find that those complaints about Enclave being hard were referring to the original XBox version, which had no mid-level saves and was hard as hell in places. The PC version is less frustrating thanks to a checkpoint save system.

Hope you enjoy it, it's a fantastic game, just don't expect combat anywhere near as good as BoD (archery is fun though, I think the Huntress is my fave character in Enclave). Take it on its own merits and I'm sure you'll love it, it's a completley different animal from BoD.

yak
Whelp

Post by yak »

My bad. GameRankings.com has a page for that damn patch and actual file is indeed a demo. Yeah, doc. I think ur right. There's nothing like BOD out there. Intense fighting, gore, unbelievable graphic, you name it. I just saw the trailer movie for the Knight of the Temple and my initial reaction was somewhat disappointing. It seemed to me the knight had only one or two moves and no impressive moves you see in BOD. Also the graphic was not spectacular either. And I just found and blown away by BOD just last year!

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

Knights of the Temple is awesome, I've just about completed it now and although I've been quite disappointed by some aspects which I haven't got time to go into here, overall I've loved it. The combat is awesome, there are a considerable amount of moves and combos available and a very realistic feel with incredible motion captured animation and sound effects. No gore to speak of, apart from a fair amount of blood and very nice blood splashes on the floor and walls, but it's not important here.

The problem is that it was only developed by a very small team at Starbreeze (while the rest work on Enclave 2 and Chronicles of Riddick) and it was pushed out early by the publisher, so a lot of stuff had to be dropped from the game that they couldn't finish in time. The game is a shadow of what it could have been, but it's still really fun and at times very atmospheric, I've been hooked from start to finish.

I don't know how the PC version will play, I've preordered it but it's not officially out here yet, so I can only speak for the XBox version. Playing it on my widescreen tv and 5.1 sound has been a great experience, and once I got over the fact that the game was nothing like as good as I'd hoped in terms of drama, story progression and so on, and is a little more shallow than I anticipated (a terrible shame, but an inevitable result of the constraints they were under in the last 12 months of development) I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

The combat is nothing like BoD but it's nevertheless very cool and addictive, particularly as you earn more combos and divine powers. I think they've done an awesome job with it and it just feels satisfying.

If you can get used to the camera, which personally I hated the idea of originally but in practice I actually thought it was great, and only frustrating on rare occasions, then you should have a blast with this game, particularly once you get beyond the fairly uninspiring early levels.

Conan is awesome too btw, which has surprised me after the fairly crappy demo. There are problems with the camera and mouse control in the PC version (which I am assured they are going to address in a patch), and the game plays best with an analog gamepad, or even better on the XBox. There are issues with the game but in general it has blown me away. Again, weak initial levels don't give a great impression to start with, but after that the game just gets better and better.

The storytelling, cut scenes and overall drama have really impressed me, it totally sucks you in, as has the art and level design and of course the combat. After you get used to the combat it becomes really fun, and there are literally tonnes of combos which you use experience points to 'buy' and upgrade, and it really works. Basically the game has impressed me way beyond what I expected and I'm totally immersed in it.

yak
Whelp

Post by yak »

My initial reaction of Conan was pretty low. Few pictures that I've seen wasn't all that look good and its website is rather pitiful. If I wasn't looking through Severance/BOD forum, I'd have no idea this game is about to hit the stand. What the hell are the developers/publishers doing? Shouldn't they at least go around and promote their game? I don't think there's any preview or news article regarding this game. If there's one, then the coverage is so miniscule, it's not even funny.

I wasn't so impressed with KOT because the characters on the game seem to be a bit of stick figures on its promo trailer movie. Compare to BOD where the barbarian looks heavily muscled and fearsome and the knight looks lean, mean fighting machine with his full plate armour on, KOT looks too thin. And the graphic wasn't too far apart from BOD. Maybe I've been looking at too many UT2004 shots. But since you mentions that it does have combos and is fun, maybe I shouldn't judge it before I play it.

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

I think Conan is being pushed more for the consoles. Even one of the devs who is a PC gamer at heart told me he much prefers to play Conan on the XBox, and I'd have to agree. It's just a better experience than the PC version. The game isn't due out in the UK and Europe until April 8th though, so there's still some time for more promotion of the PC version, and hopefully a patch to fix the fact that the camera feels pretty horrible with a mouse (though you do get used to it).

Btw re KotT's graphics, give it a chance. It's not exactly pushing the envelope but it's still gorgeous. The real problem Starbreeze are going to have with KotT is that everyone is expecting the next masterpiece from Starbreeze (particularly the XBox crowd), and unfortunately they're releasing a game which has been rushed and suffered from all sorts of political problems between the developer and publisher. Enclave 2 and Riddick are their next masterpieces, KotT is awesome don't get me wrong, but it's never going to live up to expectations.

Anyway, don't judge either of these games too hastily. As I said, I was expecting a lot more from KotT (until I learned of all the development problems) but I still loved the game and was able to put aside my issues with it and thoroughly enjoy the whole experience, and I'm even starting the whole thing again now. As for Conan I was expecting a lot less and I've been really impressed by it [:)]

justin_paplus
Whelp

Post by justin_paplus »

hi doc !
I saw u on farcry's forums !
so i suppose u re playing this one now ;)

a question :is conan "goriest" than knight of the temple ? is there any limbs in conan ?

Did anyone email Xavier Carrillo Costa or José Luis Vaello Bertol to know what is up with nightfall dragons ?
Any news ?

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

Hi Justin, good to see you bud.

Odd, I don't think I've ever registered on the Far Cry forums. I was browsing there the other day but I've never posted, not that I remember anyway [:)]

I can't believe someone could be using my name, hehe. In what, about 7 years now of using this name I've never seen it duplicated.

In answer to your question, I think KotT is perhaps the 'gorier' of the two games by a small margin. They both have really nice blood splashes and patches appearing on the ground and walls, but in KotT you see a lot more 'flying blood'. It's nowhere near as much or a realistic as in BoD of course, and neither game has dismemberment.

As for Nightfall Dragons, I'd love to know what's happening with the game. I haven't emailed the guys, I only ever really kept in touch with Juan from Rebel Act, but maybe I should. If you find anything out please let us know.

cyco
Dragon

Post by cyco »

I have made the bigest mistake of my life. I conjure you...Never, I said never try to think about trying Morrowind..... Such a ****ed up game should be forbiden!!! My mistake was not to try it, but worth... I'VE BUY IT!!!!! I've found it with the too expention packs, Tribunal and Blood moon for 26 EUR.... And only God knows how I regret it now....
Bod for ever!!! LOL

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Heh?

Morrowind rulz. It's only too long and I don't have the time to finish. :)

yak
Whelp

Post by yak »

Hey Doc, since you played Knight of the Temple and Conan, can you tell me if they have,
1)combos or special attack moves like BOD
2)F1 key (like in BOD) where it shows all the combo moves?

ps
Almost bought Morrowind but there's nagging feeling that the game might be boring. It seems to me there's two schools, I-hate-MW and I-love-MW.

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

Yep, both KotT and Conan have plenty of combos and special moves and info about them can be accessed on a special screen.

Conan has more. there are literally tonnes of moves, tied to two different weapon types (swords and axes\maces), and you 'buy' them with experience points that you acquire from making kills. Each move or 'combo' has three levels of effectiveness, so with your points you can buy new combos or improve the effectiveness of existing ones. There are also a handful of attributes you can improve relating to health regeneration, maximum health, accuracy etc.

Despite Conan having more combat moves available I still think KotT is the better game. Conan has a frankly awful camera and combat is fun but not particularly satisfying or bloody. In KotT the combat feels more real and satisfying and the motion captured animations are absolutely incredible.

Don't expect anything like the same amount of gore as BoD in either game, or even very similar combat mechanics, but each has its own merits. BoD is still the best medieval combat simulation you can get, and possibly one of the best third person action adventures ever made, but that doesn't mean other similar games are less worthy of praise. They're all different and endearing in their own ways [:)]

I've been invited to play some online multiplayer Conan tonight with some of the guys at Cauldron, which will be the first time I've sampled the multiplayer. I'll let you know how it goes.

yak
Whelp

Post by yak »

Sounds good. I also forgot to ask you. You said that you played those games in console, or did you play them in PC version? Since I do not own any console, it wouldn't matter how good they are. I guess I'm still hoping to find any game that would remind me of BOD.

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

I've got the PC version of Conan and the XBox version of Knights of the Temple. I hear the PC version of KotT is really good too though.

cyco
Dragon

Post by cyco »

There is some things I don't undrestand, How can you have played kotT, 'cause I have'nt seen it in any store? And on www.knightsofthetemple.com they're saying that it would comme soon!!!

Dr.Haggard
Whelp

Post by Dr.Haggard »

I just got advance copies from the publisher that's all. KotT has actually been available in Germany, Italy and one or two other places for a couple of weeks now anyway, and I've seen english and german copies on eBay recently too.