What exactly is Arokh fighting here?

Discuss Drakan: The Ancient's Gates with other players (no spoilers please!)
buckmana
Dragon

What exactly is Arokh fighting here?

Post by buckmana »

Early on, I discovered Arokh's targeting range is greater then that of enemy dragons. So I always used this to my advantage when fighting them.

In Stratos, I had this battle while going to obtain Grotus' potion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5pjqQFTksg

At first, I assumed I was fighting enemy dragons, since my tactic makes them appear this small on screen. But now I'm thinking that's not what they were. You can see near the end, I tried to get close to one as it fell.

I know one of these is a Desert Lord (gib mala na!), but I don't know what the others are.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

Those are called Gryphons. (also spelled griffin)
You run into them first in the Valley of the Fallen, then many more in Stratos.
They have the body of a lion and the head and wings of an eagle.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

That's odd.

I remember the Griffins in the Valley Of The Vallen. I managed to drop one in the entrance to the Sanguinade. So I had Rynn look very closely at it. They seemed to be the same size (more or less) as Arokh.

I'm not sure what attack power they have, as I've never had Arokh get close to them.

The ones I saw in Stratos didn't seem to be that big.

But, like I said, I fought them from a distance.

Outlaw Wyvern
Dragon

Post by Outlaw Wyvern »

They're the same size, same thing.
They have a homing projectile attack which follows you and explodes upon impact. They can hurt you, especially if you end up in a group of them.

Here's a strategy for up close and personal one-shot kills on Gryphons and Dark Dragons:
Have your mana glass for Arokh's breath attack full and choose the Dark Breath. Target your prey and swoop into their face for a near pass, pressing the circle attack of the Dark Breath just before you reach them.
They explode into fragments and suck into a little black vortex!

You can also <b>target</b> them and use your normal attack Ice Breath, then keep R1 held to <i>constantly fire</i> and position yourself above or below them and circle around and around.
With Gryphons, go up and down AND side to side, being very evasive of the homing projectiles.

buckmana
Dragon

Post by buckmana »

You've seen what I did.

If that's how formidable they are, I'm surprised I did so well.

I make it a point not to use dark breath (I don't collect it when it becomes available), just to increase the challenge.

Rynn's revved up spells are making it easy enough, I need at least one challenge.