So yeah, let's do a multiplayer match.
More than one, even, if there is continuing interest.
But first, we need to decide on a few things:
- Obviously, and most crucially - the participants. As of right now, 2 are confirmed: AT, and me; and a few others have also expressed interest.
- The exact date and time. Currently, we have 2 dates in mind: 17th of June & 8th of July 2018. Times are still TBA.
- Who will be hosting the server? We have a permanent server now, as well as a second part-time server.
- How will we connect. By direct connection. Server IPs are 184.108.40.206 (port 38013), and 220.127.116.11 (the default port; 27046).
- Which levels to play, and the victory conditions to use - we have a decent (albeit not very extensive) level list already, and my server is set to 20 kills, or 30 minutes per level; whichever comes first.
- Teams - at the moment our servers aren't set up for teams, but that might change yet.
- How will we communicate during the match. Discord for voice chat; and text chat through the in-game "chat" functionality.
- Some sort of agreed-upon synchronization cue; so that I can later sync the audio tracks properly while editing.
- The version of OOTF patch to use. This page lists the version that the servers are running.
Luckily, at least the 4 most likely participants happen to be clustered around +1 GMT, so we should be able to work out something reasonable.
Re. #8: If you've watched some Let's Play's of any games done with guest (or group) commentary, then you probably know what I'm talking about.
A good method (in this case) would be to have one player shoot a fireball at some distant geometry, with all the other players clustered nearby to see it impact the terrain. Then everyone says "Sync!" at the instant the fireball hits and explodes. This method is good, because the flying fireball serves as its own "progress indicator".
Of course I will edit the whole synchronization thing out before uploading the video.
And preferably, this should be done right at the start, so that we don't forget to do that later.
NOTE: Please be advised that I will be recording the gameplay footage, and eventually upload it to YouTube; this will also include our voice communication.
So I would like to ask all participants to abide by the following code of conduct:
- Text chat users: while typing, land and sit still (in air levels) or face a wall (as Rynn).
- All other players: please don't attack these users who are busy typing, or otherwise standing obviously inactive still at their spawn point.
- If you want to take a short break, then do the same as for when typing; since quitting and rejoining the server would reset your score!
- Let's stick to the English language only, if at all possible (sorry, YanGez! ).
- Keep any profanities to a reasonable minimum, please - we are neither sailors, nor car mechanics. Well, I'm a former car mechanic, but let's not talk about that.
- Try not to say anything that you don't want to stay in the final video(s). Of course I can cut such parts out in editing later on (due to recording separate audio tracks), but let's reserve that as a last resort.
- If, for whatever reason, you object to having (at least some of) your gameplay displayed in public, then please refrain from participating.