Widescreen hack and some other fixes aka AiO Patch

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
UCyborg
Dragon

Re: Widescreen hack and some other fixes aka AiO Patch

Post by UCyborg »

You should go with the second option unless you want to mess around with special effects 10th Ann. Mod brings. With the mod, you'll also have to disable standard bump mapping effect that comes with the game since the mod doesn't handle it properly and will result in graphical glitches. Rendering speed also seems to decrease significantly with the mod plus the fact that Drakan's graphics engine isn't very efficient speed-wise (frames per second) and it will stay that way unless game's source code is released, which would allow someone with the expertise to make some serious optimizations to the engine and implement extra graphical goodies natively.

And I agree about those cheat codes, it was a big surprise for me when I found out about them while I was looking for something else entirely. :D
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

donkeymilk
Whelp

Post by donkeymilk »

Thanks,i haven't played Drakan in a long time ,so the advice is appreciated.
I've noticed,with the 10th mod ,Ryan keeps getting "stuck" next to things like tables and doors.
It's only for a split second ,but it spoils the immersion,while playing.
It's like a sort of micro-second pause when u go to move somewhere.
Another issue when using the 10th mod is a flashing blue bar at top of screen,with the words "The 10th anniversary mod" written in it.
It's similar to when u alt tab out of a game and it doesn't come back properly.
I'm using win7 with classic shell explorer addon.
I think your advice is best ,to go with the second option.
The 10th mod needs a bit more work ,methinks.

P.S..I forgot how though some of those pesky enemies can be,it's not an easy game.
It's a reminder just how games have changed over time,still good fun though!

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

I was updating to ver 3 today, server and download. After finalizing it all, I tested compatability on game server.

I have been seeing players on the server, as, "Axe has left the game", and wondered why they did not "Join" first before leaving. This has happened today, as my files were incompatable. Yet my files are identical!

Hmm, will work on this the next couple days.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Version 3 has an issue, sad to say!

Worked at it for an hour or more to get server and other pc to sync. I was thinking it was a windows firewall issue, and redid each machine 3 times. As soon as I switched back to version 2, no issues.

Have setup game server for version 2, and can connect with Hamachi for over 5 min. 8)

UCyborg
Dragon

Probably the final update

Post by UCyborg »

That's odd, I haven't had such problems when I tested it on my home LAN.

I just put together the 4th and final version of AiO Patch. It works around dragon skin selection reset problem. It doesn't reset anymore in most cases except if you're kicked from the server for bad files. Can you give it a spin and see how it works?

Download

Edit: just reverted the patch that was supposed to fix dragon skin slection reset after being kicked from the server. It was causing memory leaks. I'm not touching this game's code any further. Way too complicated without the source code.
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

Latest version 4.0 works Grrrrrrreat!

Nice touch 376/447

Download website is updated,
Game server is updated

You do Grrrrreat work! 8)

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Glad to hear it works!

Oh, I forgot to mention, the first version number represents version of the game engine (Drakan.exe), the second is the version of Dragon.rfl, where game logic is implemented. Seems logical to increase it when you modify something in one of those files.
Last edited by UCyborg on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Nice one thanks. I have updated the downloads page with the latest version.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Whoops, I accidently crashed AXE's server. Apparently there is a glitch that happens if you get stuck outside the map and breathe fire at the same time into the "void", actually into the sky outside the map which crashes the server. Happened on the map The Deadly Grove. Looks like it only happens if map's level design allows you to get stuck outside of its playing area.

I could reproduce it on my server, but the debugger freaked out when it crashed and didn't show where the error occured. It also happens with vanilla Drakan, so community patches don't have anything to do with it.

donkeymilk
Whelp

Post by donkeymilk »

I don't believe it!
Another patch so soon?
Thanks for putting the work in ,this is great.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

You better believe it, it's real ;)

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Next version will be released in the following days. I've fixed 30sec disconnect bug caused by NAT. It turned out programmers assumed that server should send updates back to client using the port that was used on the client side to establish connection. NAT pretty much invalidates that assumption in cases where source port is also translated in addition to source IP address. So basically, server attempts to send updates back using port that was never opened by NAT on its side so the packets never arrive to the client and this is why client just disconnects. And because part of communication is occuring using TCP protocol, it's possible to make connection to the server due to the way TCP works (impossible to specify to which IP:port response should be send).

I'm now looking into 30sec disconnect bug caused by minimizing the game while in fullscreen mode and hoping I can find solution that doesn't bring any other oddities with it, like corrupted graphics when tabbing back in or player character sliding around the level if the level change occur while the client is minimized.

UCyborg
Dragon

Final version is out!

Post by UCyborg »

New and really final version is out! Here's the changelog:
  • Reverted dragon skin reset patch, it didn't really work.
  • Rewritten Session creation failed patch, previous one broke +ip command line parameter functionality.
  • Dedicated server stores graphics settings (the ones in Windows registry) separately. Useful because dedicated server window size is defined by game resolution setting and can't be resized.
  • Minimizing the game when in fullscreen mode and connected to online game will no longer cause disconnect after 30 seconds. Same applies to minimized non-dedicated server, clients will no longer drop.
  • NAT fix - server has been patched so that it no longer responds back to the client using the UDP port that was used on the client side to establish connection, but rather the port visible on the server side as the originating source of the first packet sent by client.
  • Added additional code to properly handle meaningless FD_READ messages - no more crashing when random IP addresses are present in servers.txt
  • Added some common resolutions for use in windowed mode.
  • Fixed crash due to stack buffer overrun that occurs when entering Graphics menu on machines whose graphics hardware exposes a lot of available resolutions.
  • Default value of MasterServerList variable in Drakan.cfg has been changed to "master2.qtracker.com:27900" since GameSpy is gone.
Download

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Great! I will upload it and put some comments on the front page of the site tomorrow.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

WOW!!!! 8)