crashing when leaving "Grotto"

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Blitzgob
Whelp

crashing when leaving "Grotto"

Post by Blitzgob »

hello guys, so, I got the game and made it to start single player (thanks to this site^^)

But, now the game crashes and I don't know how to solve the problem:

I just defeated several Blackwings, after having destroy a giant Grimstone crystal, I'm leaving an area I think is called "Grotto" (well, that's what my save tell me...) but when I'm about to go to a big circular exit there is a loading screen, once the load ends the game crashes and I'm sent on desktop...

I have a Radeon graphic card.
I met no other problems til this moment (not even to start a new game).

Can someone help me?

Blitzgob
Whelp

Re: crashing when leaving "Grotto"

Post by Blitzgob »

nevermind, I was trying to go to the previous location, seems like I manage to lost in thhis tiny area...
delete my topic if you can^^

btw, great job doing this forum and the website! I did not expect to find such a website

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

No problem however the game should not crash when you go to the previous map / area. If your game is working OK though and you have no need to go back then I would not worry about it.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Blitzgob
Whelp

Post by Blitzgob »

well I just ended the game so I had no other problems^^

the end sucks :/

not even got the alwarren bug^^

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yes, indeed the ending does suck. Surreal later explained why it was so crap - basically they ran out of time and 3 levels plus lots of cutscenes including the original ending were cut. That ending was knocked together in a matter of hours.

Blitzgob
Whelp

Post by Blitzgob »

ok, were those cut scenes and levels later added? I mean, is there a version of the game or an extension-like file where we could get them?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

They were never made public, no. However some of the cut content made it into Drakan:TAG such as parts of the desert level that is actually one of the later levels in that game. The info came from interviews with former Surreal Staff - a couple used to frequent these forums but they haven't visited for years. I remember complaints about the ending and the quality of the later levels and that was Surreal's 'excuse' for the poor ending and hastily put together succubus lair & volcano levels.

Another thing due to the deadline - they said they would just slap it together and explain the ending in Drakan2 which they had already started work on however shortly after Sony bought the rights to the game. Drakan 2 was dropped and became Drakan:TAG which was PS2 only and a standalone game i.e it was not needed to have played the first game to understand the sequel. The story was changed dramatically from what was originally planned and it the explanation of what happened after Rynn and Arokh dived into the rift was omitted and left to the player's imagination. The only references to Delon in Drakan:TAG are he was simply 'lost' (in the intro cut-scene) and 'just look at what happened to your brother' (in a conversation with one of the bad guys) so nothing specific is mentioned.

Questions that are unanswered are 'who is the laughing voice' - assumed to be Navaros so is he still alive or is he dead? Another is how did they leave the rift world and what happened to the runeblade? Finally what happened to Delon exactly? We just assume he isn't dead but trapped in the rift world forever. Me and some other Drakan fans wrote a book version of the game and put a good, logical idea of what happened between the games in there.

The 'Drakan Novel' is called the Order Reborn and can be downloaded here http://www.arokhslair.net/wp/fan-fiction/ it's a long read - about the length of an average book.

I will try and find them if they still exist somewhere - Stu Denman gave most of the interviews.

Blitzgob
Whelp

Post by Blitzgob »

ok, well, at least Sony did not screw up the serie, Drakan TAG was really good and I discovered Order of the Flame thanks to it.
I must admit I was surprised by some qualities Drakan 1 had compared to Drakan 2, such as the arokh's control which are better, or the gore level (man, first time I cut an arm to a grull was really surprising)
so, both games were awesome, exept for the end, even the end of Drakan 2 is desapointing: bosses are too easy^^