Drakan OOTF Control Problems and Window Weirdness *Update*

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
Barguest
Hatchling

Drakan OOTF Control Problems and Window Weirdness *Update*

Post by Barguest »

Hey guys, I know this is an old game, and not many people are terribly active in the community anymore, but hopefully someone can help me figure out how to solve a couple problems I'm having with the game. Drakan TAG has been one of my favorite video games for years, I've played it regularly, at least once a year, ever since I picked up a used copy of TAG at Gamestop over 10 years ago now. It was cheap, and while I hadn't heard of either Drakan game at the time, and the images on the game case were a bit underwhelming, I still thought it sounded like it'd be a fun little game for a few bucks. I mean, it's a game with dragons and a female kick-ass warrior, what's not to like? As a woman myself, I can respect a game with a strong female protagonist. Of course, when I first sat down and popped in the game, I was blown away by it. It has beautiful graphics, a nice big world to roam around in, lots of enemies to fight, tons of weapons to kill them with, and it's a good decent length. I really enjoy that I can play through the game in different ways, even though things like the number and location of enemies are always the same.

So, while I've played Drakan TAG many times, I've never played OOTF, though I've wanted to ever since I found out of it's existence. I now have the game installed on my computer, a laptop with Windows 8.1 OS. This isn't a gaming computer by any means, it's just a lower end Toshiba satellite, AMD E-300 2 core APU, AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics. My OS is up to date, as are the drivers for the graphics and sound card. OOTF installed just fine, no problems there. I did apply the official 445 patch, and then the most recent AIO patch. I do have to run the game in compatibility mode for Windows XP, as otherwise the game would "twitch" or "flash" every few seconds for some reason.

EDIT: I managed to solve the two issues I was having with the game...I think. What worked for me was the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit (Downloaded here). I had attempted to use it earlier but was apparently doing it wrong as I ended up fumbling around in another part of the program that was trying to make me set up some database on an SQL server, blabla, a bunch of yada yada that wasn't relevant. Anyway, I got my fix set up in the Compatibility Administrator, and it actually worked and got rid of the weird window borders. The ACT fix seemed to help with the combo attack problem I was having as well. The touchpad and touchpad buttons can't be used for attacking at all apparently, but after remapping attack again, I was able to pull off the combo moves. I used X and right shift. Maybe once I play for a while I can come up with a control layout that is easier for me to use, as I'm still awkward playing games with the keyboard.

So the problems described below are solved for the moment. I am sticking the the rest of the message in quotes and leaving it here for anybody else who runs into the same exact problems. Download the application compatibility manager, you can choose what parts of ADK you want to install, so you can elect to only download the ACT, it's still a large file, but it will fix up your Drakan when all else fails. :D
Now, I know a lot of people with newer OSs have issues with OOTF, like full screen mode not working correctly. I seem to be among them, and haven't been able to solve it with any of the fixes. I have the game resolution set to my native resolution of 1366 X 768, and set to full screen, but the it's still windowed, with window borders on the top and right, but missing on the bottom and left. Here's a screenshot of what it looks like:

It's not a huge game-breaking deal or anything, I just find it kind of annoying. I've tried DDRAW.dll and the dgVoodoo fix, but it doesn't appear to change anything. Game still has that weird window. I don't know if I'm missing something or doing something wrong or what.

The other, much more problematic issue I'm running into has to do with game controls. I don't have a controller for the computer or joystick or anything, so I play games on my computer with the keyboard (which I kind of suck at, but oh well). This laptop has a touchpad, so that's what I use instead of an old school mouse. For some reason, I can't get rynn to preform attack combo moves, like the forward stab or downslash. I don't know if I'm just being an idiot and doing it wrong or if there's an issue with the game or keyboard. For instance, trying to do a forward stab, the controls say to hit the forward key and main attack, but Rynn just runs forward. I try a left slash, hit left key + attack, Rynn strafes left, but doesn't swing her sword. I've tried both with the default keyboard controls, and remapping them to different keys, but face the same issue either way. I've tried both tapping and holding the keys, I've tried both hitting the keys in quick succession and holding them at the same time, nothing. It's like the game doesn't want to recognize multiple key presses when attacking is involved. I can hold the down key to make Rynn crouch, but while she's crouched, nothing happens when I hit either the primary or secondary attack button, so she won't slash low. Interestingly, if I hold the down button to crouch, then have her roll, after rolling I can get her to swing her sword while crouching. But if I let go of the down button, and Rynn stands, then have her crouch down again and attempt a low slash, nothing. I really hope there's a simple solution to this, because only being able to preform the basic slash will make this game pretty impossible I would think.

So if anybody knows what the problem could be, and how I go about about fixing it, I'd really appreciate it, as I'd love to be able to play OOTF. Thank you in advance to anyone who has an idea!

Ginko
Whelp

Re: Drakan OOTF Control Problems and Window Weirdness *Update*

Post by Ginko »

Oh, glad you managed to solve your problem. I was going to suggest using ACT since I used it just yesterday to fix a problem but you were too quick. :o
That being said, when I first played the game as a kid, I don't think I ever used a special attack so they probably aren't that necessary. :lol:

And your post reminds me that I have never played the PS2 game. I should get around to playing it, one day...
El Psy Congroo

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Microsoft's way of fixing things is a bit confusing at first, but it's really easy once you figure it out. There isn't much info about ACT online, it would be really useful though as compatibility modes by themselves don't expose all options plus they apply bunch of compatibility fixes that aren't even needed for certain application.

I didn't know until now that dgVoodoo is not optimal solution in all cases. But hey, as long as we can still run our good 'ol games, all is well! :D
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Barguest
Hatchling

Post by Barguest »

All is peaches, I was able to finish the game with no further issues, so ACT definately does the job of ironing out those pesky problems caused by newer OSs.

Ginko, you may be right about the special attacks not being necessary in OOTF. I'm so used to TAG, where special attacks are pretty darn useful. In OOTF, I didn't end up using them hardly at all. I found the regular old hack n' slash fighting style to be easiest. Even on those @&#!*%$ black knights.

Thank you guys for replying though! I'm happy I was able to get this gem working, I staunchly refuse to give up playing good games just because they're older, and the tech giant powers that be want us to forget about them and keep shelling out for the newest games and newest tech on which to play them.