Have a question

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
mage150
Dragon

Have a question

Post by mage150 »

Which kinds of Drakan Mods would you be most Interested in playing? what types of things would youi like to see MP/SP, characters, weapons, puzzle like maps. Long long maps or short hard maps? anything please tel me cause the surreal forums are dead an no one seemes to every answer me ;)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I have revamped the forums so now there is a entire forum devoted to this subject [:)]

Anyway the most important things in a level for me are:-

1) level design and architecture; a level that is stunning to look at and has good use of textures as this shows time and effort has been put into the level to make it look cool. First impressions count.

2) Good lighting; a level that is all the same brightness throughout and has no shadows or lights look bad. Lighting in a level should come from an intended source and caves that are as bright as day are a big no-no. Poor lighting degrades the atmosphere of the level and in turn the gameplay.

3) Scripted events and new ideas (such as the magic / skill system in War of a Dark Age); Things like traps, NPC's milling about round villages, farmers working in their fields etc make the world seem more alive and keeps the player interested.

4) A good storyline / plot; A level with no goals or backstory is a bit pointless and can lead to the player becoming bored and moving on. If a level only has a brief introduction, NPC's who you meet should be included to help move the story along and give some indication to the player where he / she should be heading.

5) Good enemy placement and an even balance of weapons, powerups and enemies; Levels that are way too easy give no challenge and are often not much fun. On the other hand, a very difficult level results in cheating or the player giving up.

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

yes I agree with you Adrian. Many of those things are the most annyoing of things in maps. Maps I havent taken time to make such as the First Duke It Out had flat lighting with no shadows. Anothing thing that i am emphasizing on is showing my skill in 3D Studio Max by making whole sections or even whole maps in 3D Studio Max.

Another thing I am emphasizing on is many many many secrets :). Ill try to make sure that all of the secrets are worth their journey.

Finally I have been finding difficulty to learn Softimage|3D inorder to create even small new animation for rynn/NPC's but with Andrey/Drakon Rider's countless efforts to help both him and I increase the efficiency of creating New Rynn Characters and NPC's.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah, lots of secrets is good... It encourages the player to explore more rather than charging through.

ASSASSIN
Dragon

Post by ASSASSIN »

Secrets can be entertaining, yes. But I think there are better ways to make players re-play your level... the possibility to determine things happening! :) Players will rather replay a game for another storyline or another decision like for a secret - which they may not even know about :)

ravenshold-snipe
Hatchling

Post by ravenshold-snipe »

Where do you find the boy in the caves? I am in the desert lands and have restored the gate. Now I have to find the boy and destroy the floating fortress. If you could help?

ravenshold-snipe
Hatchling

Post by ravenshold-snipe »

to be stealthy is to be silent, to be silent, is to be invisable, invisablity is an illusion of the mind.

The Darklord
Dragon

Post by The Darklord »

Isn't that part from Drakan:TAG...?

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

yea lol. n00bs go figure