New forum style to try out & server upgrade

Discuss things related to this website and ask questions about the forum. New members can introduce themselves here too. Announcements will also be posted here. Note topics are auto pruned if not viewed within 30 days.
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: New forum style to try out & server upgrade

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah I see what you mean, something is clearly wrong in the code somewhere. I've just tried it again on my Android device and it is displaying the mobile versions on all pages.

The attachment shows screenshot from my phone showing how it should look. It should have a 'hamburger' icon to reveal the drop down menu rather than displaying it like the desktop version. You could try clearing your browser cache to see if that helps. It looks like you are still getting the desktop version and it's being compressed and cut off due to the portrait orientation. See what happens when you turn your phone sideways so it's in landscape view.
Attachments
This is what it should look like
This is what it should look like
Screenshot_20170205-103246.png (184.16 KiB) Viewed 17912 times
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I do get the mobile version as in the screenshot you posted on my phone, just the "Request desktop site" option produces the hybrid version instead of full desktop version.

I wonder if "Request desktop site" does anything else besides that it removes Android from user agent string. Not really familiar with web development, but from quick google search it seems reliable auto-detection is PITA to get right. You have multiple ways to accomplish it and some are less reliable than others.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

There are readability issues in certain parts of the WoW theme. There's white background in the following places:
  • Private messages' content
  • The legend on the Private messages->Outbox page
  • The part of interface for editing forum post attachments
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Thanks for the feedback. I noticed that but can't seem to figure out how to fix it. I will try again sometime and see what I can do although it's not high on my list of priorities at the moment unfortunately. I will fix it if I can.

cieply
Dragon

code formatting lost

Post by cieply »

Hey, I just posted a message with \[code\] sections and they got messed up - they lost all new lines/indentation and became unreadable.
Don't know what happened - I tied everything, including writing it by hand instead of pasting - still in vein.
Anyone have idea what's wrong and how to fix it?

PS. at the moment they are put into message body as I wanted them to be readable.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Private message issue fixed - Ill look into the code tag issue

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Out of curiosity, was the issue with private messages a bug present in original WoW style?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It was in the CSS coding - it was just a matter of finding what to change. As for the other issue that's going to be harder to fix.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

The issue with code tag is really strange. I assume there's no (relevant) settings related to it. Could it be just the bug in the used version of the forum software? It is pretty basic function.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

The issue happens with the standard PHPBB layout so it's not related to the theme. Formatting is lost when using the code tags; Ill have a look on the support forums but I don't have time right now. I can't find anything on the forums without a lot of digging.

cieply
Dragon

code formatting lost

Post by cieply »

No rush, we've learn to avoid it by putting code in text body (for the time being ).
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Just an update on this, still no closer to finding an answer. It seems PHPBB does not fully support the code blocks without mods.

I've tried (remove the ..)

[..code=cpp]

blah blah
some programming code
another line of code

[../code]

Produces

Code: Select all

blah blah
some programming code
another line of code

Which does not work (no new line after each line of code)

cieply
Dragon

Re: [code] formatting

Post by cieply »

Maybe you can add <pre></pre> tags to be put around the text in source code? I know it's silly workaround but codes are not colourized so it wouldn't matter. I know it's a guess, and I don't have the code but its assumption based on my knowledge of html.
l'aria fresca,
vino puro, ...

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

That does not work. I'll keep looking.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Quote blocks should allow specifying the name of the person you're quoting:

[..quote="John Smith"]Random quote[/quote]

Then it would say "John Smith wrote:" next to the quote symbol. I've also seen on another phpBB based forum that you don't have to leave 2 empty lines after the quote block to have some spacing between the quote block and the following text.