Idea of Drakan based Fan Movie/Drakan Animated Movie

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
yangez93
Dragon

Idea of Drakan based Fan Movie/Drakan Animated Movie

Post by yangez93 »

Hi everyone :D

When I came back during the trip I came up with an idea about making Drakan fan movie. Of course, I don't know if anyone start such a topic on the forum. We had topics in this forum "Similar games to Drakan", "Drakan based game" or "Drakan music" But I searched forum I didn't noticed subjects such "Drakan based fan movie" :)

Here we have 2 ways of possible movies.

Drakan based Fan movie
Maybe not whole 2 hours movie but much more shorter (something like 20 minutes, or maybe recorded version of one level of Drakan ? (Ruined Village, Wartok Canyons), or just short movie with dialogs between Rynn and Delon or Atimar and another characters before Wartoks raid, without special effects (something like low budget movie) but we will need actors(Rynn actress :D) :) When it will be much more advanced then we will need animated model of Arokh, Green Screen effects, high quality camera, props, a good place to record(forests, mountains,castle) image stabilizer and of course other volunteers :)

Animated movie
Here we have much more "possible" movie than type what I mentioned before. We can make such movie in Engines such Unreal Engine, Unity or 3D program such Blender or Maya. Or just make long movie straight from Drakan game(change position of camera, make new animations, add new dialogs) It would be nice to make an animation at least one level, there are many ideas.

Another question is, who is gonna watch this kind of movie? Do we have potential viewers?

Maybe I'm crazy but what do you think about it? It is possible at least 5%? :)

Mechanist
Dragon

Re: Idea of Drakan based Fan Movie/Drakan Animated Movie

Post by Mechanist »

Well, the idea did cross my mind. Quite recently, in fact; not more than a few weeks ago.

But I more or less immediately dismissed the idea of a live-action movie as not very feasible - at least not with the available resources and manpower.
It'd take a pretty solid group of hardcore fans to successfully pull that off; I'd guess 6-8 people at the very least, and that's being optimistic.

A machinima production, OTOH, is much more doable within the given constraints. Any ideas for a script, though?

In any case, voice acting remains a tough hurdle to clear.
Arokh's voice would likely end up considerably postprocessed anyway - so in the big picture, that's less of a problem. And I do have considerable experience in signal processing, after all; this is one challenge that appears to be within reach.
But as for Rynn, that will be more difficult. Maybe, just maybe, something along the lines of Vocaloid could provide a solution? (but do note that I have absolutely zero experience with that)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Mechanist wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:12 pm
But I more or less immediately dismissed the idea of a live-action movie as not very feasible - at least not with the available resources and manpower.
It'd take a pretty solid group of hardcore fans to successfully pull that off; I'd guess 6-8 people at the very least, and that's being optimistic.
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's not really feasible.

If anything were to be done it would have to be animated. It would be a nice thing to do but would all that effort be worth it for the number of people who would watch it? You may get several thousand views on youtube but it would have to be very professionally done to hold people's interest.

I'd love to see a Drakan movie; there's been many video game to movie translations that have been terrible, Tomb Raider and maybe Wing Commander an exception but I think Drakan would be great source material if done by the right director. Shame Sony didn't consider it.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

Mechanist
Dragon

Post by Mechanist »

I think that if we're to even consider doing anything of that sort, it'd probably be best to improve on existing work, by (re)creating some missing/new content for (Open)OOTF.

We can probably agree that OOTF is sorely lacking a whole bunch of in-game exposition - both in the form of reading material, as well as conversations/cutscenes. (the manual isn't a whole lot of help in that regard to begin with, and it's also full of spoilers!)
Even (re)doing just that content alone would be plenty of work already. :)

Setting unrealistic goals is of course bad - but the most insidious ones are those which when taken individually, each aspect of them appears doable on its own, however when considered as a whole, it turns out to be far beyond reach after all.
Been there, done that. It was pretty much the opposite of any definition of "fun", and the amount of wasted resources and effort was such that I could have instead used those to make a whole new 3rd Drakan game from scratch :(