3D view in 2k/xp

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
Drakon Rider
Dragon

3D view in 2k/xp

Post by Drakon Rider »

today i meet with some russian hacker (z0) and give him a copy of Drakan with editor to look what we can do with crashes of 3D view Engine of editor... so the work of fixing it looks to be started wih a small team...

i tryed some workaround in the Engine.exe for 3D View window and 3D model view from Level Editor to works in win2k and possibly winxp (i do not use this system at home)...

the point was really in memory protection of memory mapped files but it looks like a bug by surreal that unmaps view of file before accessing mapped memory again - that works in shared memory in win98 above 2 Gb (virtual) but as ppl wrote me on wasm.ru forum win2k and later uses another way of mapping files so if unmap view was called, unmapped memory pages may be physically throwed away from pages addreses translation and so on and no ways to access them exist...

i simply remove call to unmapviewoffile function from engine.exe so it possibly _can_ cause memory leak or even exception errors in level editor with losing all unsaved level data so it recommended to save work frequently and reload editor from time to time if memory leaks will occur...

current changes to Engine.exe : patch bytes from file offset 69446H:

8B 90
4B 90
50 90
51 90
FF 90
15 90
DC 90
30 90
48 90
00 90

current version of patched Engine.exe : ftp://au:au@files.drakan.ru/pub/Engine_2kxp.zip

i test it with 3D view of some retail levels at win2000sp3eng and it still works without crashes or visible memory leaks in system stats... if anyone will found a place or level that would cause something to crash (editor or engine) you can post here a detailed description how to reproduce that crash so we can try to analyse it...

NGPD666
Hatchling

Post by NGPD666 »

Hi

First of all i am from Austria and my english si not so good i hope you understand me.

I have a problem with my drakan. The patch is installed but it dosen´t run under my Win XP.
I searched in some german forums but i don´t find a solution for my problem.
Then i read your message in the forum but i can´t download the engine_2kxp.
The Problem is i need a Username and a Password.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Username au password au

Welcome to the forum BTW!

NGPD666
Hatchling

Post by NGPD666 »

Thanks

I hope i can play with manny DRAKANFANS when i get the game running.
One question, is this for the german or the english Version?

NGPD666
Hatchling

Post by NGPD666 »

Hi Boys

I tried the engine.exe and the file patched something but i still have the problem i can´t run a game.

What should i do???

AMD64 3500
1024 MB RAM
GeForce 6600 GT

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I think that patch is for the English version and if you use that with other language versions the game will not work. This patch is for the level editor though and only fixes the 2D/3D view problem that occurs when trying to make your own levels. You will now need to re-install the game (multiplayer content as well) plus the appropriate language version 445 patch to restore the game files. Note the game must have the 445 patch installed or it won't work on XP.

If your game is not running, this is a different matter. Try starting the game in developer mode as the intro cut scene causes a lot of systems to quit to the desktop. To get into developer mode hold shift whilst starting the game and tick enable developer mode in the developer tab on the riot engine options box that will appear.

I also have a geforce 6600GT and this is the reason the game will not run as it has a problem with these cards. Enabling developer mode cured this for me. Be sure to start a new game with the 'ruined village' level as when in dev mode the game will allow you to start on any level.

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Thx for the patch, works great!