Drakan patch 445++, solving Alwarren and cutscene

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Axe, check the patch file modified date. The patch on this site is the latest one that is confirmed working; older versions of the patch may have the same file size but the modified date is different. If you download the patch (which includes the downgrade) from this site and put it on yours it should solve possible future problems.

The patch on this site should to be applied only to an unmodified 445 installation of Drakan. If any patches are installed prior to the 445++ patch this may cause unpredicatble results and they should be uninstalled before applying the 445++ patch.

The latest 445++ patch makes all previous 445+ & 445++ versions redundant.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

cin : You have missunderstood my post. I am glad that you have found a solution, and have been playing the game. That you have been downloading files and installing them, is even better. The intricasies of even installing seperate levels, can be fun, when you get to play them. I hope you try some of the pcl's that are in the game.

The main point of my post, before, was to mention that AT's website has the original 445 patch for download, cause yes planetdrakan can most times not be reliable for download links.

Hey! AT have made sure about the 2 files, and got rid of any other versions.

Old Dragon
Hatchling

Post by Old Dragon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arokhs Twin</i>

Axe, check the patch file modified date. The patch on this site is the latest one that is confirmed working; older versions of the patch may have the same file size but the modified date is different. If you download the patch (which includes the downgrade) from this site and put it on yours it should solve possible future problems.

The patch on this site should to be applied only to an unmodified 445 installation of Drakan. If any patches are installed prior to the 445++ patch this may cause unpredicatble results and they should be uninstalled before applying the 445++ patch.

The latest 445++ patch makes all previous 445+ & 445++ versions redundant.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks for patching this game through to the next millenium.
May I use the 445++ with the german version? (crashes at start up - xp with ati3650)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

To tell truth I never tested it on any other language version - I only own English one. But as far as translation didn't altered game executable (and there is fair good chance for it), you should have no problem at all. Any feedback is welcome!

And second though - for the first time I see that game crashes at start on ATI card. Could you give detailed specification of your computer?

Old Dragon
Hatchling

Post by Old Dragon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Shelim</i>

To tell truth I never tested it on any other language version - I only own English one. But as far as translation didn't altered game executable (and there is fair good chance for it), you should have no problem at all. Any feedback is welcome!

And second though - for the first time I see that game crashes at start on ATI card. Could you give detailed specification of your computer?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thank You very much from a whole family of dragon riders!
After applying the patch intro and game are running nice and smoothly (with some fewer polygons than Lair on PS3 ;-)) on the following machine:
http://www.no117.de/Saphira.txt
It was obviously the same bug affecting Radeon and GeForce grafics (Lord Williams savegame "drakanbeginning" was also a suitable workaround)

Thanks again and Happy Holidays

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

Didn't work this time ( The game still crashes at Alwarren. Here's my saves folder.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AWE39K1R

I removed all the files from the root dir except the quicksave where the game crashes before the exit of Alwarren and left the LevelTransitions folder as it is. Check it out when you have time, Shelim.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

You'll have to buy me pizza ;D

Okay, okay, I am now working on it and results should be coming in the near time. I will also try to find solution for Queen Shilla bug. Wish me luck ;-)

Blodgett
Hatchling

Post by Blodgett »

Hi, I came across this forum while trying to resolve the Alwarren crash. I have found the problem is caused by the new breath weapon that Arrokh gets. If you bypass getting it, you can exit.

Course to do this, you need to cheat. You have to use the cheats to have Rynn walk through the main gate and then walk back.

Hope this helps.

AXE
Dragon

Post by AXE »

This works real well, I installed onto a amd 3800 with a geforce 6800, initially game would not load, but after patched, works great! Thankz Again Shelim

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Okay the topic was dead, time to bring it some life :) I am working on third generation of patch; the difficulty choose menu procedure remain intact as it hasn't any known side effect; I'll look more carefully into Alwarren problem as still it happen to crash there - it seems to be some sort of irregular basis, I've get report that it crashed 8 times in row and 9th worked perfectly fine. And there is one more thing that was reported with repeatable save game state - the game crashes when entering Grimstone mines on dragon stepping forward (but strafe works correctly). Unfortunately I can't look into Queen Shilla problem, as my tools of trade requires that game actually crash in repeatable way (it can be even map designing bug, not code bug).

If anybody is willing to test "nightly build" of patch (but I'll ask to not disclose it further, as it may still contain many flaws), please leave here message, I'll try to contact everyone at the end of the next week (or so, I am currently very busy at work ^^; )

Eris
Dragon

Post by Eris »

will be glad to check it out

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

There will be little delay, sorry :)

Orbytal
Hatchling

Post by Orbytal »

Hail dudes and dudettes. I got the same problem. Game crashes when started=> installed Shelim's things=> fixed. Exiting alwarren => crash. Q_Q I'm waiting for Shelim to finish his work :) Good job Shelim, keep up the good work ;)
ps:i'll buy you 10 pizzas if you get it working xD
pps: got it working for my dad since today it is his birthday and Drakan was one of his favorite games so he was very very happy and said that this was a real birthday gift xD thx again Shelim! /bow

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Yes, I know that definition of "little" can be misguiding sometime (it looks almost like I am working for Valve [:D] )

I will have a bit of free time in near future (sadly, I am not student anymore) and I promise that I'll take some time to look into Drakan and fix whetever I can :) Niah, I just so badly love this game! [8D]

Drakon Rider
Dragon

Post by Drakon Rider »

Well - as you made separate patch i recommend to include bug fix for 'stuck in block' bug. It exists in my "445SP1" patch. It was many years ago and i do not remember exact patch byte for it. But you can at least made file compare of Dragon.rfl patched and not.

As i remember the key to bugfix is simple 1 bit addition or clearance of a bitmask for 'human control' object. It sometimes not cleared in one of the control paths and Rynn stays in 'block' state even after key release (it occurs mostly if a combination of keys was pressed and it contains block command key).

So the bugfix may be simple 1-bit change in operation like AND REG, MASK or OR REG, MASK.

This bug so is common for both SP and MP modes.