Destination coordinates of level transitions

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
shoprat
Dragon

Post by shoprat »

lionlord
Yesterday I got some strange effects when teleporting Rynn from a big to a small level and return. Therefore, some easy understanding questions this time :

1.) What does the setting "maintain player position" of an exit object exactly do if set to "yes" or "no" ?
1a.) Does "yes" mean that Rynn teleports form the actual coordinates of the actual level to the same coordinates of the new level ?
1b.) Does "no" mean that Rynn teleports from the actual coordinates of the actual level to the position of the Rynn-human control-object of the new level ?

2.) Do you always need two exit objects for level-transition ( one from level 1 to level 2 and one from level 2 to level 1 ) to make them work, even if you only want to teleport in one direction ?

3.) If you have two exit objects ( one from level 1 to level 2 and one from level 2 to level 1 ), does the position of the exit-object level 2 to level 1 have any influence on the coordinates to which Rynn is teleported when so goes from level 1 to level 2 ?

Sageous
I think maintain=yes means instead of using the player object in the next level it just uses the player position in relation to the exit objects. Ie if you were x y distance away from the object in the previous level...you will be the same in the new one.

Maybe its not relative to the exit but its probably relative to something...i dont recall exactly...surely the single player levels will help if you look.

You need as many exits as you need to do what you want to do. For example if you never wanted to load another level you would need 0. You need one per when you want to change levels or one when you want a reference point etc.

I'm guessing yes or no...depends on how you set them up maybe. When you change levels it can either just load up another level as if you did it yourself...or it can change levels and look for a reference point..probably another exit object. I dont know the difference between the two myself...its been awhile. Just open a retail level and see.

lionlord
Thanks, Sageous.
I tried some combinations, looked into some original levels and found out :

If you teleport to a level with no return exit object, Rynn is positioned at the human control object.

If you teleport from a level 1 to a level 2 which has an exit object for return (2 to 1), Rynn is positioned at that return exit object (2 to 1) by default. Now it depends on the "maintain player position" setting of the exit object.

If it is set to "yes", the leaving-position where you trigger the exit object in level 1 is stored. If you teleport back from a new level (2) to that first level, Rynn is positioned at then stored leaving-position.

If it is set to "no", the leaving-position where you trigger the exit object in level 1 is not stored. If you teleport back from a new level (2) to that first level (1), Rynn is positioned at then exit object from 1 to 2.