Drakan Remake by YanGez93 [Project abandoned]

Anything to do with Drakan level editing and modifications, post it here! Also this is the place to tell us about your new levels and get player feedback.
yangez93
Dragon

Drakan Remake by YanGez93 [Project abandoned]

Post by yangez93 »

[Project abandoned]

Hi Guys

I'd like to announce i just started making new game based on Drakan: Order of the Flame. Obviously engine is Unity just because is simple and write own engine takes a lot of time. Game models are imported from original game thanks to REO to OBJ converter (thanks Mathijs Roosen), but unfortunately converting models dont usually looks great in terms of strange glitches that sometimes occur. Another problem is i haven't Rynn, Arokh and NPC models so as long as i won't have these models i will just replace using free assets from internet or something. I hope this remake will be ended up at least after 2-3 years optymistically speaking ;)

Here some screenshots:

Ruined village:

Heron's tomb, as you can see i added transparent glass (you can see some of mountain and planet)
I Had problems with pines so i added free asset trees, ground textures are from drakan
The village will be little diffrent, i think will be better if i i'll use unused content of drakan such as market stall

Maps, models are "little" diffrent from original Drakan so i hope there not be copyrights infrigments ;) Especially if models of Rynn,Arokh and NPC will be diffrent.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Drakan Remake by YanGez93

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Looks like you are on to something there; looks good so far. I don't think there will be any copyright infringements as long as you do not sell it and do not call it Drakan. Others have partially made Drakan conversions / remakes using the Unity engine but they are not finished yet if at all. I think the option was to make a game similar to Drakan to avoid any copyright infringements.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Welcome after little break ;)

I'd like to post new screenshots of this game,

"Rynn" has already animation (move, walk,sprint , sword equipping).Rynn will have advanced combat animations like in Witcher game, I'll add her also magical spells instead of having power crystal (it'll be much simplier than removing weapon and later choose crystal). Health bar is only image I'll add scripts later. Drakan was considered as a easy game (you can just ignore enemies, choose arefacts and accomplish the map) this is because Rynn was soo fast in opposition to enemies, so enemies will be faster ;) At the moment I do not create dragon movement and dragon itself because it'll be little bit complicated and in Ruined Village there isn't dragon.

I have little request for you, i you have models of NPCs, Arokh, Rynn and all of movable models in obj or something, please just send me link ;)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

It looks loads better than the original. You seem to have done a lot of work so far; the only thing i'm not keen on are the fire effects. Other than that it's looking good.

I don't have any of the models but there are a few extracting tools made by other forum members and various utilities that may come in handy.

This topic by metalfist may be useful https://arokhslair.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3738 - it isn't easy exporting the models; 3D Ripper can be used but it does not extract it correctly and 3D modelling tools such as Maya have to be used to 'fix' them.

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Hi ;)

I'd like to post new screenshots of this game

Wartok Canyons:

Inner Tavern:

Unfortunately there aren't any NPCs ;) I think just a couple days and I'll make at least 1 wartok ;)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

I like it :) Looking forward to this, Were any of the things Metalfist posted any help in getting the Arokh model and textures out of the game?

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:07 pm I like it :) Looking forward to this, Were any of the things Metalfist posted any help in getting the Arokh model and textures out of the game?
Yes of course. I just placed a Arokh's model. First I downloaded Arokh_v2.pdo, next converted into obj, open in Bledner and match textures and export into fbx so I can import to Unity.

I have to add some bones to Arokh to make animations such as walk, fly or idle. Right now Arokh is static. I think the best idea is to do it in Blender. Arokh has to be improved, model is very outdated, I'll just make at least much more vertices.

Here some screenshots with Arokh in action;)

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Yeah that looks good. The scenery and level design looks good as well especially the rocks and cliff faces.

Morell
Dragon

Post by Morell »

Arokh's textures do have alpha channel in original. You can get them with 3D ripper DX, if you can make that program work. Anyway I do have alphachanneled textures for dragons. Will save you some work. ;-) But if you would like more alphatextured graphic from drakan, you have to use 3D Ripper yourself, my Drakan isn't working anymore. 3D Ripper will give you textures upside down, but with alpha and in DDS format. Might need online converter, I use online as my program oppening dds cannot read its alpha.

You can also take a look at my and Metalfist's papercrafts to see shapes of the dragons of Drakan. (and there is the way to rip models from those papercrafts too)

Anyway if you can finish this, then you're totally great! Can't wait for it!

Oh... and one more thing:
http://morellagrysis.deviantart.com/art ... -637535933
It is Ancient Gates Arokh with OOTF textures, placed the same as in the game (almost, couldn't make the belly fit perfect, so I improvised a bit)
dragons and extracted textures with alpha channel, where present: http://sta.sh/0iinovj8ts6 (includes UV mapping)

use Blender too, perfect program.

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Hey, I'd like to post new screenshots and first gameplay. I started new levels such as Vulcano and Islands. Next level I'll start will be Alwarren

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhkWLB6pDso

Morell
Dragon

Post by Morell »

Wow, good!

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Looks fantastic - can't wait to try this remake; it seems you do not have much more to do. Any idea on a release date?

Morell
Dragon

Post by Morell »

Arokhs Twin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm Looks fantastic - can't wait to try this remake; it seems you do not have much more to do. Any idea on a release date?
:lol: Good joke. Making levels is the easier part.
There isn't even Arokh yet, not to mention all NPCs, triggers, efects, events, weapons, menu, settings, game mechanics... program contrlling of animations, cutting the ribs etc. etc.
I have some models, so when I return from trip, I will probably try to bone and animate them...
Just for example this took my bro all day: http://morellagrysis.deviantart.com/art ... -691722497

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Morell wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:19 am
Arokhs Twin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 pm Looks fantastic - can't wait to try this remake; it seems you do not have much more to do. Any idea on a release date?
:lol: Good joke. Making levels is the easier part.
There isn't even Arokh yet, not to mention all NPCs, triggers, efects, events, weapons, menu, settings, game mechanics... program contrlling of animations, cutting the ribs etc. etc.
I have some models, so when I return from trip, I will probably try to bone and animate them...
Just for example this took my bro all day: http://morellagrysis.deviantart.com/art ... -691722497
Yes, you're absolutely right. So this is why I do all the stuff in Unity to make as simple as possible: menu, settings, player input etc. But the hardest thing will be as you said NPCs, animations, coding,models and of course cutscenes or multiplayer.There is basic player input, basic menu(start game, exit) and player movement. In professional developer team there are artists, modelers, level designers, programmers. In front line I use free assets. Converting static models from Drakan will not be sufficent, making caves,levels with ceilling,walls and custom objects should make in 3D program(I use blender) in Unity it isn't possible to make ceilling from terrain so easier is to do levels with mainly from terrain than for example Alwarren, Rift Crystal or Grimstone Mines, Rift World or Spider Caves. For this time I won't make models in blender, only model i made is corridor in Heron's Tomb(Strange glitches during convertion from original Drakan) Morell did animation that he sent whole day, so first the easier stuff later the hardest stuff. I think the most important thing is to keep motivation, I know that any of ideas of making game remake/based on Drakan hasn't completed ;D

If you have some models, please send me, any form of help will be usefull.

Release date: Maybe 2022 ;)You know how deadline looks like ;) I have plan after that date not only to make "Remake" but add new staffs, new levels,weapons. And foremost change little bit Drakan:Order of the Flame ending, i think you'll agree ;D

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Ah OK, I was under the impression you had more done but point taken.