Widescreen hack and some other fixes aka AiO Patch

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
UCyborg
Dragon

Re: Widescreen hack and some other fixes aka AiO Patch

Post by UCyborg »

New and final update for the time being will come out next weekend when I have more time. It turned out there are some stability issues with the latest fix for multiplayer disconnect issue and the variant from 13th November update is the most stable. Should have tested more than just 3 multiplayer rounds! :D If I don't find stable fix for that minor glitch when the game is minimized in fullscreen mode, I'll just leave it as it is. It's not too bad as long as it's stable and either way the scenario when it happens isn't exactly common neither, but if the problem can be tackled in the right way, why not fix it?

In addition to that, the new patch will include a fix for text corruption issue that occurs if you force the game to use anti-aliasing. It will be implemented as alternate functionality of Fix Texture Coordinates checkbox in Riot Engine Options (Text Adjustment set to Shifted, if you look at main menu graphics options screen instead).
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Let me know when you have definitely finished all the updates and I will update the site with the final version. I've uploaded the one from the other day but not the one you did yesterday. Ill wait till you have it finished this weekend.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

You can put the new version up.
"When a human being takes his life in depression, this is a natural death of spiritual causes. The modern barbarity of 'saving' the suicidal is based on a hair-raising misapprehension of the nature of existence." - Peter Wessel Zapffe

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Done - version 2.50 uploaded.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I've fixed some glitches with the new texel alignment code, there was vertical line going through the lower-right portion of the map and some blurring was visible in certain parts of menus, most apparent on Options>Graphics menu's scrollbar.

There is just one minor glitch left, the health bar leaves a thin trace on part of the left edge of the screen where it rolls into the view. Nevertheless, this is the best the game ever looked with anti-aliasing.

On older ATI cards, it was possible to enable Alternate Pixel Centers on per-application basis. That combined with game's original texel shifting code meant for text problems on Voodoo cards gave clear text, though there was still vertical line on the map. Interestingly, the health bar didn't leave any trace on the edge of the screen.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Arokhs Twin, you can put the current version on the site. I think it will stay like it is for a while now. I have no idea how to tackle the remaining issues, the rest of the game is in pretty much the best state it ever was.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

OK, will do.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

I'm blind, there was another glitch in Alwarren, it's fixed so we're now at 2.58. Any volunteers for updating visibility data in Ruined Village and Volcano? :D

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

OK no problems Ill upload it later this week.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Assembled new update:
  • Fixed regression from one of previous updates that caused dedicated server window to not refresh.
  • Added option to specify refresh rate.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

Updated

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Here's another small update. Fixed 4 visibility glitches in Wartok Canyons, 3 of them were also present in the original level file before visibility data update, need a good eye to catch them as they can only be spotted looking from certain corners, those white spots that quickly disappear when you cross the problematic layer.

Main 445SP1 Patch features now activate only on NoWhere level, something I wanted to do long ago, but forgot about it. Especially the attack interval addition doesn't make much sense in 99% cases as NoWhere is the only level using custom attack animation AFAIK, otherwise Rynn can magically score a hit out of nowhere when she just starts turning around. Another interesting thing is that feature affects saved games, just reverting the code doesn't revert the attacking behavior when loading the save file from when the feature was active.

Another oddity about 445SP1 Patch, its changes aren't as big as they appear when comparing the files, I noticed the code cave for the extra attack interval was inserted in place of some other unrelated function dealing with lightmaps judging by informational messages present there. It was altered to exit prematurely, meaning that it wouldn't do its thing if code flow ever went through it. If it's ever executed, it might be under special conditions.

So the balance has been restored.

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

So I wanted to see if server browser still works and noticed it didn't. It turned out Qtracker's web server doesn't like Drakan's default HTTP GET request anymore, might be due to non-standard line endings. I changed the line endings and added Connection: close parameter and now it works. Link updated as always.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

OK will update it later, thanks

UCyborg
Dragon

Post by UCyborg »

Cool, no need to rush. I realized I shouldn't have added Connection: close parameter, that causes the connection to be closed prematurely. The one and only problem were the line endings. The current ZIP is versioned 2.81.

BTW, I found online random IP generator so I could easily put thousands of IP addresses in a text file, which I placed on home web server. Filled the file with 8000 addresses and then pointed the game to it, the server browser showed Available Servers: 8000 Valid Servers: 0 :D