How to Compile a map ? Led Editor...

Talk about Severance Blade of Darkness modifications and maps here. No tips or tech support questions please, use the forum above. Note that the game is rated 18 so some content may be unsuitable for younger readers.

Moderators: Ade, prospero

alexde
Whelp

How to Compile a map ? Led Editor...

Post by alexde »

Hello, I was following the led editor tutorial on
http://blade-of-darkness.bigtruck-canad ... ve_np.html

I wanted to make a map.
All goes well until I had to Compile the map.

I have a Led1.MP file.
Do I have to drag the Led1.MP file to the Bc icon ?
It seems that doesn't work either.

All i got was a text document with, Error al abrir película.Error al reproducir película.Error: no es un archivo de map.Error al abrir película.Error al reproducir película.

I hope somebody can help me out...

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Hi Alexde. [:D]

You need to make a file with this sytax:

Code: Select all

C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\compiler\Bc.exe C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\compiler\conquest2.MP C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\NewConquest.bw

and save it in same folder as th .MP file as compile.bat (name not critical but extension is)

Edit to suit your own setup. Basically the first path points to the Bc.exe. Second to where you have youe .MP file. And third to where you want your .bw file to go.

Then when you double click it, two windows pop up and you can see your map compiling.

alexde
Whelp

Post by alexde »

Someting like this ?
I made two maps.

NewConquest-compiler
And in the map conquest2.MP there are two files now.
The compile.bat file, and the conquest2.MP file.

What do i have to do now ?
Still nothing seems to work.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

Hi Alexde,

You need to change the paths and filenames to match YOUR map.

This line:
C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\compiler\Bc.exe C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\compiler\conquest2.MP C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\NewConquest.bw

consists of three seperate parts:

C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\compiler\Bc.exe

C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\compiler\conquest2.MP

C:\Codemasters\Severance\BODLoader\Mods\NewConquest\NewConquest.bw

Part 1 Should be the path to <font color="red">Bc.exe</font id="red"> on <font color="green">YOUR</font id="green"> computer:
C:\Codemasters\BladeToolsEnglish\Compilers\MapsCompiler\<font color="red">Bc.exe</font id="red">

Part 2 should be the path to the <font color="green">MP</font id="green"> file you want to compile:
C:\Codemasters\BladeToolsEnglish\Compilers\MapsCompiler\Led1.<font color="green">MP</font id="green">

Part 3 should be the path to where you want the compiled mapfile (.<font color="yellow">BW</font id="yellow">) to be saved:
C:\Codemasters\BladeToolsEnglish\Compilers\MapsCompiler\Led1.<font color="yellow">BW</font id="yellow">

Then put all 3 lines together as one line (with one space between them) and save as:

CompileMyMap.bat

I'm just guessing the paths above from your screenshots, so make sure to correct any mistakes.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

You need to get your files organised. I do it like this....

In your YourMapName folder in BODloader Maps or Mods folder (whichever), create a folder called 'compiler'. Put all your compiling files in there as well as the .MP file and the compile.bat. I do it that way so that the .dlls and such don't get mixed up with the main map files. When the map is finished you can remove the compiler folder and archive it away somewhere safe in case you want to alter the map later.
btw. I would enable <b>Show File Extensions</b>. Makes things clearer.

If you then edit the compile.bat to suit your individual folder structure and main drive name, the Bc.exe will find the .MP file, compile it and save the .bw file in the main map folder where it should be. Everytime you recompile, the old .bw file will be overwritten by the newly compiled one.

btw2. It's a <i>very good idea</i> to make a folder in the compiler folder to save a copy of the .MP file in before you work on it again. There isn't an Undo feature in LED. [B)]

alexde
Whelp

Post by alexde »

http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/8/9/1 ... nquest.zip

Is this correctly ?
I still have no idea what to do [:o)]

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

You should not have any folders or files with "Conquest" in them, "Conquest" is a different mod.

Here's the simplest way to compile your map:

Your map (Led1.MP) is already in the same folder as Bc.exe, so you can create a simple batch file there.

In the same folder, create a new 'text' file with notepad and add this one line:

Bc Led1.MP Led1.bw

Now, in Notepad, click on 'File', 'Save as...', and a new window opens.

Look for the dropdown box near the bottom of this window labeled "Save as type" and Select "All files" instead of "Text documents"

Type in the name 'Compile.bat' and save.

You should now have a new file called Compile.bat in that folder. Double-click it, and that should start the compiler.

When compiling is finished, Click "Aceptar" in the compiler window and your new compiled map should appear as "Led1.bw"

alexde
Whelp

Post by alexde »

All right, I made one windows text document with the name Bc Led1.MP Led1.bw.
And in it I wrote the same text, Bc Led1.MP Led1.bw
I saved it as Compile.Bat

I clicked on the compile.bat exe file.
Then a black screen appears I never got before.
When I click on the ok button all I got was another text document named as DefCh.

Btw, Sorry for the bad English.
I hope its all understandable...

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

According to your screenshot, the compiler created a map with 1 sector and 8 vertices.

Did you click on the 'Aceptar' button in the "Compilador Blade' window? That should create the .bw file.

You have a folder named "Led1.bw", maybe you should delete that.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

It's a good idea to keep the name of your .MP file the same as your map. Same with the .bw file. LED is confusing enough and better to keep things simple.

it looks as though the map has compiled, although I can't make out from the pics where exactly the .bw file has been saved to.

Don't be alarmed by the error messages log. Most of the stuff is non-critical. If you get one that says ERROR!....., that's a bad sector and needs replacing. Otherwise you can ignore them. There is a message that says something like "can't break down the polygon" (In Spanish) That's a slight cause for concern, but it won't stop the map working and may not have any effect at all. I've compiled original RAS maps and got this.

alexde
Whelp

Post by alexde »

Thanks for all the replies!
I have the idea I am getting closer now.
The next problem is that I only see a black screen when opening it.

But with Bodloader I can actually play with it.
The only thing there is that I only see white walls [:(]
What did I do wrong ?

This are all the files I have right now.

And the Led1.mmp files I made with BmpToMMPCompiler.

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

You're nearly there, you just need some more files (cfg.py and pj.py) to tell Blade to run Led1.lvl and create a "Player"

Your cfg.py just needs these 4 lines:

import Bladex
execfile("..\..\Scripts\sys_init.py")
Bladex.ReadLevel("Led1.lvl")
execfile("..\..\Scripts\BladeInit.py")

For pj.py, use these 9 lines (Creates a Knight with Gladius):

import Bladex
import Actions
import ItemTypes
import Basic_Funcs
char=Bladex.CreateEntity("Player1","Knight_N", 0, -1500, 0, "Person") <font color="red">#<= Make sure the coordinates (0,-1500,0) are inside your map!!</font id="red">
char.Data=Basic_Funcs.PlayerPerson(char)
o=Bladex.CreateEntity("Weapon1","Gladius",0,0,0,"Weapon")
ItemTypes.ItemDefaultFuncs (o)
Actions.TakeObject(char.Name,o.Name)

In the \BODLoader\Maps\ folder, you should create a new folder for your map \BODLoader\Maps\Led1\ and put all your map files in it.
It should have:

cfg.py
pj.py
casa_d.mmp
Led1.mmp
Led1.lvl
Led1.bw

Now, restart Blade and you should see 'Led1' as a Map in MODS. Install and play.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Post by prospero »

Just a little point....

You don't have to copy the Skydome mmp into your map folder if you use one of the RAS ones. You can access the file in situ by adding the filepath. e.g.

..\..\Maps\Orc_M9\orcst_d.mmp

Doesn't make any difference really, just better practice.

Also the texture bitmaps should be compiled in 'Palette' format not 'TrueColor'. This might not make any noticeable difference but that's how thw game ones are done.

If it's any encouragement, you are getting on much faster than the first time I tried to make a map. [:I]

alexde
Whelp

Post by alexde »

I started the whole led editor tutorial over again.
First I had no luck opening it with the Led Editor OGL.

But with Bodloader it works now ! [:)]

With the first map I think I have done something wrong with adding the textures.
Is there somewhere a program to convert BMP files into a .DAT file ?
To open it with the Led Editor ?

(And thanks again for all the replies!)

Sir Random
Dragon

Post by Sir Random »

I use BaBx with genmmp.py to create mmp files. genmmp automatically creates a DAT file for import into LED

Instructions for using genmmp are included in the download.