Strange Glitches

**Archived** Shelim's mod for Drakan which celebrates 10 years of the game and adds new features and fixes some bugs. Note this is now rendered obsolete by the Community Patch however if you play single player only you can still use this mod.

Moderator: Shelim

MystRunner

Strange Glitches

Post by MystRunner »

The game runs just fine but I have a very odd glitch on the screen that makes the game rather hard to play. I'm not at all sure what is causing it but I'd like to play this game once again. The glitch shows up no matter what I have selected as far as shaders are concerned. This particular screen shot is without any world shaders at all turned on. I can't find any information on if any other people have ran into this glitch before either.

Bregolas
Whelp

Re: Strange Glitches

Post by Bregolas »

Shelim, what an excellent project! Given that the community will experiment with textures, it could become something like Morrowind overhaul - a totally new feel for the game.

But... looks like I have the very same problem as MystRunner, i.e. a bunch of rays running diagonally down from the upper corner of the screen. Plus, missing Arokh textures, diagonal red lines appearing at times (just like here) and constant window header flickering in full screen mode (see screenshot #3). All these effects appear irrespective of shaders.

My system specs are:
NVidia GeForce 8600 GT
Intel Core2 Duo E6550 @ 2,33GHz
Windows XP sp2

I also tried installing the latest GeForce driver but nothing has changed. Tried changing all Drakan graphics settings too. Any chance the problem could be solved?
1s.jpg
1s.jpg (150.86 KiB) Viewed 22964 times
2s.jpg
2s.jpg (119.54 KiB) Viewed 22964 times
3s.jpg
3s.jpg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 22964 times
(Klaerya Delandos)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

What the hell?! :evil: I had that error, but was fixed already, few builds ago... I'll look into this at once, but please confirm: Is this problem happening in newest version (I mean 0.9.8.90, build 90)? There was a typo in older release that on potentially *could* result in this, but was fixed already.

Also I would recommend updating DirectX (available through this Microsoft site)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Bregolas
Whelp

Post by Bregolas »

Shelim wrote:What the hell?! :evil: I had that error, but was fixed already, few builds ago... I'll look into this at once, but please confirm: Is this problem happening in newest version (I mean 0.9.8.90, build 90)? There was a typo in older release that on potentially *could* result in this, but was fixed already.

Also I would recommend updating DirectX (available through this Microsoft site)
The version is 0.9.8.90, build 90. Downloaded directly from your website.
What generation of DirectX have you tested it with? I guess you're aware that the highest possible version for WinXP is 9.0c. I'll give it a try and check if there're newer builds, though.

UPD.: Nope, my DirectX version is the latest available for my system. Sorry... Probably graphics card problem.
(Klaerya Delandos)

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Bregolas wrote:What generation of DirectX have you tested it with? I guess you're aware that the highest possible version for WinXP is 9.0c. I'll give it a try and check if there're newer builds, though.
This is really confusing for non-programmers, but there are more than 40 versions of DirectX 9.0c right now and Microsoft is releasing updates every few months, each having new bugfixes. That's why I asked for update.
Bregolas wrote:Probably graphics card problem.
I don't think so, I look into this problem at weekend :-)
Do not follow where the path may lead - go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danger? Hah! I walk on the wild side! I laugh in the face of danger! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Okay, this will require much more work on my side as I cannot reproduce this on any of testing computers I use - and all static checks shows there should be no such problems. Soon I will post version with much more verbose logging, it may be of great help for tracking problems like this :)

mathias
Hatchling

Post by mathias »

First, thanks for the 10th Anniversary mod!

Before, only with patch445++, it was not possible for me to run the game in Win7 in right manner. Now the automatic level changes/transitions are working finally again (as in XP).

... but I have the same problem with the glitches as the others above.

For help your research here are my system specs:
Win7 SP1 32bit,
latest available DirectX 11 version,
Nvidia Geforce GTX570, driver ver. 301.42
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

PS: Without any shaders turned on all is okay.

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Okay, bug confirmed and is likely (about 65% chances) to be solved today ;) There is memory overflow inside original Drakan that could result in things you've shown on screens, I am working on it right now :)

Edit This happen to be much more serious issue, and I don't have that much free time right now - I'll fix this ASAP, but can't give any estimate at this time ^^"

Cookie
Whelp

Post by Cookie »

Playing on the latest release (0.9.8.92), yet I still encounter this glitch. Help?
-----"Quote of a famous person to make myself look cultured and sh*t" - Johnny Depp

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Cookie wrote:Playing on the latest release (0.9.8.92), yet I still encounter this glitch. Help?
Can you give your PC's specs and Windows version? I am currently pretty busy with other ptoject, but it'll end soon, after which I'll return to Drakan :-)

Cookie
Whelp

Post by Cookie »

I sent you two emails on the Contact address you put on your site, but I'll post my specs here as well:

Windows 7 64 bit, service pack 1
Radeon 7670M / Intel HD graphics 4000 (laptop with both integrated and dedicated GPU)
Intel i7 @ 2.10 ghz
6 gb RAM
-----"Quote of a famous person to make myself look cultured and sh*t" - Johnny Depp

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Ah, it was you ^^" I'm getting several mails regarded this bug, unfortunately it's a dead end right now.

I am going to purchase new notebook in few days, there is a slight chance that the bug will happen on this machine and if so, I would have means to debug it.

For now it doesn't happen on any of my or my close-living friend's PCs, and I just can't debug it remotely.

And as for side news, I am doing some crazy Drakan-related experiment this week, please keep your fingers crossed ;)

Cookie
Whelp

Post by Cookie »

Can't wait to see what's that about :D

Also, you can't do anything via Teamviewer? I could give you access to my laptop through it

Shelim
Dragon

Post by Shelim »

Cookie wrote:Also, you can't do anything via Teamviewer? I could give you access to my laptop through it
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately - no, it won't help :-(

Darthportus

Post by Darthportus »

I just want to ask if you figure something about those strange glitches (arokh partly invisibility for exemple) ?