Newbie in need of help please ( New question 15/7/2014)

Blade of Darkness general discussion and game help forum. Discuss anything related to Severance / BoD (except modding, use the forum below) Note: Possible spoilers!

Moderators: Ade, prospero

Trog
Hatchling

Newbie in need of help please ( New question 15/7/2014)

Postby Trog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:30 am

Hello all, I still have an old copy of codemasters Severance and would dearly love to play it again on my Windows8.1 PC, can anyone advice me as to how I can do this in easy to understand terms as I am not a computer wizard just a mere wizards apprentice, thanks in advance.
Last edited by Trog on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trog
Hatchling

Re: Newbie in need of help please

Postby Trog » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Due to the lack of replies I bit the bullet and bought BOD from GOG and happily can report that it loads and seems to play fine on my Windows 8.1 laptop without any additional messing about. Using the Open Gl option though the graphics dont seem as good as I remember them being but will work on that. As an alternative question I have a logitech gamepad that lets you allow keyboard actions to be allocated to the gamepads numerous buttons, has anyone
here played BOD with a gamepad & keyboard combo ? and how did you like it ? The direction buttons on my laptop are tiny and I think it will make a tough game even tougher when in a fight.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Re: Newbie in need of help please ( New question 15/7/2014)

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:41 am

thats strange im pretty sure i answered your post 1 or 2 days ago, my reply is gone. odd.

Trog
Hatchling

Postby Trog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 am

I checked several times since my first post but didnt see any replies Blackbeard. What did I miss ? Anyway its good to
now know that I was not just talking to myself so Hi.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:58 am

In that post i made earlier i was linking this thread: http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=2922
Possible solutions for win 7 64bit, should work for Win-8 as well.

Usually to get BoD to work, you need to download the rOpenGL raster, this fixes black menus but causes a fog bug that gets annoying on certain maps, but there is a fix for that as well, the "FogFix" mod.

And yeah the graphics dont feel the same as they used to back in the days, could have to do with the nostalgia memory but it could also be cause of 3Dfx was being in use at that time, i think 3Dfx completely died around 2002 or 2003.
But there are 3Dfx emulators that you can use to get more color out of the game, downside is that the resolution is usually locked to a maximum of 800x600 since that was the standard resolution at the time, so there are ups and downs to it, think the one I used was nGlide.

Personally i want to fill as much of the screen as possible, so the 3Dfx stuff isnt nessesary, i just play with the rOpenGL raster and set the resolution to 1280x1024 (this is an old game, so use only 4:3 aspect ratio resolution or the game engine with squeeze everything and making everyone and everything look like they added 500 pounds)
Well at least i hope you have a smart monitor that doesnt fill the entire screen no matter the resolution, but maintain the aspect ratio.

Not sure if anything i just wrote will help you, but there you have it.

you can find downloads for all but 3Dfx here: http://blade-of-darkness.bigtruck-canada.ca/index.htm

nGlide: http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

Trog
Hatchling

Postby Trog » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for your quick response and thank you for the info, luckily the GOG download of BOD already has OpenGL but not sure if it has the fog issue sorted, I will be playing via my laptop linked through an AV amp to my TV but have not tried to set the game up fully yet having just made sure it gets as far as game play. Are there any other tweaks to the set up options you can recommend please as in which sound option etc. By the way my laptop is a HP AMD A10 with Radeon HD graphics.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm

The sound settings are hard to say which one you should use, the best is to just try and see which one that doesnt cause crashes or makes the game mute.

But, it could be "Miles Fast 2D positional Audio".
If i remember correctly (i dont have the game installed atm), that was the option that worked for me, no true surround sound but it works. You kind of get the same effect as with headless bombers from the serious sam games, you dont really know where the sound comes from until they're blowing up your ass.

(adding) but it could add to the "suspense of combat" ofc.

Trog
Hatchling

Postby Trog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks again for the advice Blackbeard, I have still not got round to starting my quest due to lack of time for gaming and having another game to finish first but no doubt I will be back to pester you for info soon.

Blackbeard
Dragon

Postby Blackbeard » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:24 am

no problem.

prospero
Ancient Dragon

Postby prospero » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:30 pm

I've always used Miles fast.... :P

sgi1981
Dragon

Postby sgi1981 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Download my version rOpenGL
http://sgi.bigtruck-canada.ca/patches/rOpenGL.zip
Cancel OpenGL Fog fix Mod and use my rOpenGL.dll

See my post
http://www.arokhslair.net/forum/viewtop ... 520#p29520

My opinion is: in the standard library rOpenGL there is an error, I corrected it.
Why not use my version of rOpenGL ? It solves all the problems with dense fog.
It's very simple. We use my library rOpenGL.dll.
Unpack my archive rOpenGL.zip. There the necessary directory structure. To copy the directories to

the game directory.

My version differs from standard version 4 bytes at the address 1E761.
I replaced the address 1E761 real number in single precision. 0.02. I ordered there 0,004. That is,

the density of the fog made 5 times less.
There is a curvature of our space. All material bodies - geometrical bodies.

Return to “Severance BoD: Help / Game Discussion”