Drakan revive

Discuss Drakan: Order of the Flame with fellow players and post any technical problems here where an 'unofficial' support team will try and help you. Gameplay help questions can go here too.
allul
Hatchling

Drakan revive

Post by allul »

Hi guys,

just to make it short - so I have this idea.

I am a web developer (Ruby on Rails) and I have always wanted to make a game… and I also love Drakan.

I wish to revive Drakan world in form of a web game (e.g. Gladiatus or The Kingdom of Loathing). The style, gameplay, story or anything must be discussed yet. I have something in my mind, but I feel more like I would like to cooperate with all of us fans here.

Would you like it? Would you contribute?

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Re: Drakan revive

Post by Arokhs Twin »

There's a remake by Yangez93 and a engine re-write by Zalassus but those are not web based and are far from finished. What you are suggesting sounds a good idea as it isn't a remake but could be a spin off set in the Drakan world. I'd suggest something set in the Dark Wars or maybe during the order's golden years 600 - 1000 years before OOTF is set.

We have a discord group if you want to join as well.https://discord.gg/k8DUNnS
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Good idea, there are many possibilities that you can make. Making web game with Drakan World that is what I wanted to play, it can be also inspired Drakan. My first thoughts were text game that player choose different actions or maybe more arcade graphical game with linear story as Drakan is( character as human and dragon that are controllable by player). I also wanted to make minigame inspired Drakan, my idea was card game with many classes of different craatures(orcs, trolls, dragons, human, succubus etc.), generator that chooses balanced cards for players and player choose which card use first and of course winner that will save at least 1 card. So there are many possibilities that can be implemented,for now I personally working on Fan Fiction reader. Anyways, if you could write more about your idea of web game, there are for sure members that will track the progress of the work

allul
Hatchling

Post by allul »

Great! I have quite a lot of ideas.

About the story setting, I like the Dark Wars, since I personally love dark and horror themes especially. Also The Fallen Age sounds very good, we could miss Dragons though, but Blackwings could play the main role with cooperation, treachery, etc…

As I said, I have some ideas, cuz I was thinking about the game for a long time, but I am not sure what kind of a game it should be. I have three main genres in my mind. It could be:
RPG - basically something like Drakan in a “text” form. Could be of course made with graphic fight etc.
Rogue like - I am heavily inspired by Darkest Dungeon and Deep Sky Derelicts and I like the idea, but would take probably more time, since I see it as a next level RPG.
I have also been thinking about something Frostpunk (city building survival), but this is the least possible option for me. I have finished reading Mortal Engines book, so I am just influenced by it probably.

Multiplayer is a must. I would like to live with other players in Drakan world. There could be PVP, Coop etc. (which is kinda killer for a city survival)

PS: A card game doesn’t attract me actually (sorry), but it reminds me I like the card system from Warframe.

PSS: Everything is debatable :) I would go into deeper details once we choose the genre and settings.

Arokhs Twin
Site Admin

Post by Arokhs Twin »

How are you going to handle the multiplayer? Game world servers would be required for the best way to do it rather than someone hosting a game.

The fallen age could be a good time period; there's 600 years of unwritten history there. No dragons though.
By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!
Webmaster of Arokh's Lair

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

IMHO making first a simple game RPG text should be reasonable idea, when you'll make text game it'll be base for more advanced projects such as Rogue like, adding new assets and focus on greater interest of potential players. The question is what exactly programming language, framework or game engine will you use? There are many HTML5 game engines or WebGL, simple games can be also made in PHP or just HTML5 and JavaScript.

As for multiplayer game, there are members that will play MP for sure, especialy when there will be discussion or calendar of events on our Discord channel, I have recorded stream of match on Drakan 24/7 server when were 6 players, so interest could be also on your potential game.

allul
Hatchling

Post by allul »

I would like to kick the game off, so here’s the first planned phase in brief.

Setting:
- The Fallen Age

Techs (for now):
- Ruby on Rails, PostgreSQL

(in case you are curisous, what I would choose for GUI)
- Pixi.js for graphic (graphic is not a priority now. Think of the game as of a text game, which is potentially going to get graphics interface later. I guess fights gonna be first).

Gameplay
I am going to proceed with the Rogue like idea.

- Players have their home base
- - For now let's have a shop here only
- Players have inventory
- Players have characters (to fight with)
- Items can be looted and purchased
- - For now, only player can have items
- World consists of locations
- - Locations consists of net of dungeons (dungeons themselves consists of rooms connected with each other. Room can be empty / hostile / contain loot.
(inspired by https://images.gog.com/74d74295798e61a5 ... er_639.jpg and https://i.redd.it/oordbl8fb8811.png)

Fights
- Characters plays alternately (just very basic system for now)

Multiplayer
The goal for now is to make an indirect dungeon co-op . It basically means that 2 players can drop into the same dungeon and so finish the exploring together faster (when dungeon is finished completely, both players will get a reward).

PS: Everything can be changed (except technologies) :)

mage150
Dragon

Post by mage150 »

Any update on this allul?
Moderator Of Arokh's Lair.

yangez93
Dragon

Post by yangez93 »

Probably project is abandoned but nice to hear info from author of topic if he still wants to continue work on it. Of course game developing with writing engine from scratch is really hard, requires a huge experience and of course motivation. I wish to play Drakan-inspired text game, would be even without professional graphics but al least some 2D illustration.

I wish to help but my experience with game development mainly comes down to Unity Engine or programming in Python using pygame, I haven't made any web games yet. Maybe in this forum are active storytellers that could offer help or just developers